Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stairman
    replied
    Ive never had to do it but have read crushed charcoal from hardwood ashes added to water can help with accidental poisoning from bad food or water. Im thinking about 1/2 tsp per cup of water.

Leave a comment:

• Oscar Wilde
    replied
    Originally posted by Kaytastrophy View Post
    I .... Including my mother in law.
    Welcome to the forum Kaytastrophy.

O.W.

Leave a comment:

• Kaytastrophy
    replied
    Originally posted by maric View Post
    I thought charcoal was used to induce vomiting, like when someone OD's or when kids swallow poisons? Is it just the amounts that make the difference? I want to make sure Slowz gets it right, this being his first time trying it and all... :)
    I believe the hospital gives Epicac for poison ingestion to make you vomit then they give crushed charcoal to absorb any poison which did not get brought up in the vomiting. Charcoal is calming to the stomach and has save many lives. Including my mother in law when she forgot that she took her strong medicines and took another dose. It was a total accident but when she started passing out and go severely confused we rushed her to the hospital and that is what they did for her.

Leave a comment:

• RatLife
    replied
    The charcoal certainly makes sense. Like it's been pointed out hospitals use it to absorb toxins in the body. One that my dad taught me was to chew on green pine needles or make tea from it which ever is more prudent at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• 101airborne
    replied
    I thought charcoal was used to induce vomiting, like when someone OD's or when kids swallow poisons? Is it just the amounts that make the difference? I want to make sure Slowz gets it right, this being his first time trying it and all... :)
    Activated charcoal..... Most hospitals have used this for years to abrorb toxins ( poisons) mainly in children. It is safe to use even if poison injestion is only suspected. If Memory serves correctly it is followed by syrup of ipecac to induce vomiting. However I haven't heard of using it to settle an upset stoumach. However making a tea out of either staghorn sumac, blackberry, or peppermint all work well.

Leave a comment:

• Curdog
    replied
    Ginger is superb for gas and nausea, but not for heartburn!

Leave a comment:

• badkarma
    replied
    drink a shot glass of flat cola, it'll help. as a matter of fact that's sold in the drug store as "cola syrup".

Leave a comment:

• maric
    replied
    Originally posted by Skyowl's Wife View Post
    Ipecac is used to induce vomiting. Charcoal is used to absorb the bad stuff.
    ahhh my bad.. good to know! Learn something every day! :) Thanks!!

Leave a comment:

• Skyowl's Wife
    replied
    Ipecac is used to induce vomiting. Charcoal is used to absorb the bad stuff.

Leave a comment:

• maric
    replied
    Originally posted by herbalpagan View Post
    I researched it for a radio show and man, that is one handy item to keep! Plus it doesn't go bad!
    I try (if I remember) to pick up a box every time I go to the grocery. At 50cents to a dollar, cant beat it!

Leave a comment:

• herbalpagan
    replied
    I researched it for a radio show and man, that is one handy item to keep! Plus it doesn't go bad!

Leave a comment:

• Snow Walker
    replied
    Originally posted by herbalpagan View Post
    upsets stomachs respond extreemly well to an herb tea of peppermint. Same oil that's in pepto. Lacking any peppermint in the area, try sodium bicarbonate...baking soda in water.
    You know, that whole point you bring up about baking soda just goes to show it has SO MANY USES! It's a must have for sure.

Leave a comment:

• herbalpagan
    replied
    upsets stomachs respond extreemly well to an herb tea of peppermint. Same oil that's in pepto. Lacking any peppermint in the area, try sodium bicarbonate...baking soda in water.

Leave a comment:

• maric
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Curdog
    replied
    Yes it is Charcoal- NOT ash... that is where lye comes from:(

Leave a comment:

Working...
X