Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friend with one leg needs help bugging out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend with one leg needs help bugging out?

A close friend of mine has only one leg. He usually gets around on a scooter and wears prosthetic leg at work. He also uses crutches alot too. He uses prosthetic leg only at work because they require him to. all the rest of the time he leaves it at home. Since amputation was above knee and very close to hip the prosthetic is a hinderance and no help other than appearance. He and I have discussed it. He is concerned how he will travel if he is forced to go by foot. From work for instance, it is 50 miles home. His scooter won't run that far. He keeps a spare set of crutches and replacemnet pads around. although crutches could break or get taken away. We have tried to figure out alternatives. I could possibly craft crutches from tree branches, although they could be uncomfortable or even painful to use for very long. Or he could try crawling using knee pad and then elbow pads on his hands. But 50 miles is a long way to crawl. Anyone have any ideas? Suggestions?
    Thanks.

My first thought was a Travois!

People have used them for years. I used one a long time ago when I hunted elk.

http://www.native-languages.org/travois.htm

If needed and its an emergency, I would consider this.

-Buggy
    I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

Have you considered a hand powered trike or a small motored trike?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image030.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	188059

Click image for larger version

Name:	4781172280_87151a0f5b_z.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	188060

Just a thought.

Dale

Comment

Did'nt think of travois. Good idea if it comes to that. Thanks. I'm hoping we can think of something that would allow him to move himself along without discomfort or pain. If not I can drag him that way, at least for part of it. Very good idea.
        Last edited by don1911; 05-25-2015, 12:01 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

We have discussed trikes. He tells me they are too high priced for him to afford one.

Comment

Our biggest concern is if for some reason, whatever we have for him to travel with, may break or get taken from us. At that point we will have to make do with whatever we have left, or can make with materials or nature around us at that moment. We have even discussed 4 wheelers. But due to the nature of a shtf world, whatever we may have brought, could be lost to us for one reason or another. I could make crutches from tree limbs. But that could become uncomfortable to eventually painful for him. The travois is a possibility. But I don't think I can drag him 50 miles home. Especially since the first 10 to 15 miles will be in urban area if we are coming from our job. however both the trike and the travois are good ideas. I appreciate the info. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by don1911 View Post
              We have discussed trikes. He tells me they are too high priced for him to afford one.
              Don't know your situation, but if your buddy is a Vet, these folks:http://lostinok.com/2012/07/12/ambuc...-and-veterans/ might be able to help. They might be able to help regardless. There may be other organizations that could help.

Dale

Comment

Wheelchairs are cheaply found in yard sales and such these days. May not be as high speed cool as a trike, but would be workable. Your buddy could also probably get your employer to allow him to keep one there. (Americans Disability Act and all....) But anything along those lines. just a direction of thought...
                "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by don1911 View Post
                  Our biggest concern is if for some reason, whatever we have for him to travel with, may break or get taken from us. At that point we will have to make do with whatever we have left, or can make with materials or nature around us at that moment. We have even discussed 4 wheelers. But due to the nature of a shtf world, whatever we may have brought, could be lost to us for one reason or another. I could make crutches from tree limbs. But that could become uncomfortable to eventually painful for him. The travois is a possibility. But I don't think I can drag him 50 miles home. Especially since the first 10 to 15 miles will be in urban area if we are coming from our job. however both the trike and the travois are good ideas. I appreciate the info. Thanks.
                  The good thing about a travois is that it puts the weight onto the ground, while still a chore, it lessons the force needed to pull the weight.

If you have a large dog or horse, all the better! :)

-Buggy
                  I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

Originally posted by Buggyout View Post
                    The good thing about a travois is that it puts the weight onto the ground, while still a chore, it lessons the force needed to pull the weight.

If you have a large dog or horse, all the better! :)

-Buggy
                    Yes. Thats true. The horse would be awesome. Travois with horse would be problem solved. A definite option if i can aquire a horse. Otherwise Me pulling the travois is better than leaving him there. His wife would be happy if I brought him home.

Comment

Originally posted by dalewick View Post
                      Don't know your situation, but if your buddy is a Vet, these folks:lostinok.com/2012/07/12/ambucs-to-donate-trikes-to-disabled-children-and-veterans/ might be able to help. They might be able to help regardless. There may be other organizations that could help.

Dale
                      Excellent one. I sent link to him. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                        Wheelchairs are cheaply found in yard sales and such these days. May not be as high speed cool as a trike, but would be workable. Your buddy could also probably get your employer to allow him to keep one there. (Americans Disability Act and all....) But anything along those lines. just a direction of thought...
                        We talked about this one too. I think he is going to try to find one to keep handy. Thanks.

Comment

I have a couple trains of thought about this:

1. Find a job closer to home, or move closer to work; like within 5 miles.

2. How does he get to work now? I think vehicle yes. If it is SHTF the roads may not be usable and you may have to go cross country.

A. Get him training in horse back riding. Also prior to a SHTF event, locate a source for horses near work. So if it does happen, you can locate a horse, and let him ride it.

B. You should be able to make 15-20 miles a day cross country by horse back. Get maps and plot a route that you can take, that avoids people.

Comment

Well, first off your friend isn't bugging out - he's getting home post SHTF .... there's a big difference there .... the first question needs to be - is your friend better off staying in the work area and a refugee center or trying to get home under adverse travel conditions? .... is he gaining anything by going home? ....

In regard to alternatives .... do you commute with him? .... his travel problem may occur part way home - unless you are there and he's equipped with that alternative travel device - the discussion is somewhat moot ....

Comment

Originally posted by RICHFL View Post
                              I have a couple trains of thought about this:

1. Find a job closer to home, or move closer to work; like within 5 miles.

2. How does he get to work now? I think vehicle yes. If it is SHTF the roads may not be usable and you may have to go cross country.

A. Get him training in horse back riding. Also prior to a SHTF event, locate a source for horses near work. So if it does happen, you can locate a horse, and let him ride it.

B. You should be able to make 15-20 miles a day cross country by horse back. Get maps and plot a route that you can take, that avoids people.
                              1. won't be able to make as much money or that puts him in urbanm area. then he would still need to bug out.
                              2. drives his truck with his scooter in back.thats right.
                              A.Working on that, if I can get him to do it.Sounds good, if after shtf, there are any horses left at location.
                              B. agreed that's what we are hoping for.

Comment

Working...
                              X