Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to start when learning edible plants??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start when learning edible plants??

Ok, I have often admitted that I know squat when it comes to edibles. Ive done a lot of reading today, that encourages us (duh) to know what plants are edible in our area.

What are some ways to help someone starting out? Should I try to find a local book, or anyone have any ideas? I have often thought of ordering some wild edible cards, but do those cater to your local area??

Im stumped here, and I know so many of you are wiz kids at this!

Advice appreciated!!! And remember, Im really new at this, ok.. so a edibles for dummies explanation is absolutely necessary!! :)
    If the zombies chase us, Im tripping you!!!

I'm anxious to read some good advice on how to find out what is edible in your area.

I know one thing I'm not going to try, is to walk out in the woods and start eating just anything. lol

Comment

Get Sam Thayers books and a Petersons Guide to Edible Plants, then take a course from someone in your area!

Comment

This may help...

http://briarpatchoutdoors.educationf...liography.html

Comment

Very nice link Curdog! One of my goals is to get a small group going in my area introducing people to the basics of bushcrafting and I will definately keep you in mind for the wild edible expertise.

Here are two very good books maric...

Comment

Thanks Guys! Ill take a look at all this!

Comment

In our area I talked to several locals. One is a Native American who collects food from the desert. After helping several times on collection trips for his Grandparents he started teaching me what and when can be eaten. Funny reading all those books and magazines I found out the water from a barrel cactus is so high in akaline that it will cause the runs and eventually cause dehydration and death.

Funny thing is that I've learned that I'd be hard pressed to starve in the desert before a big city.

Comment

Originally posted by noneya View Post
                In our area I talked to several locals. One is a Native American who collects food from the desert. After helping several times on collection trips for his Grandparents he started teaching me what and when can be eaten. Funny reading all those books and magazines I found out the water from a barrel cactus is so high in akaline that it will cause the runs and eventually cause dehydration and death.

Funny thing is that I've learned that I'd be hard pressed to starve in the desert before a big city.
                You make a very good point about what the desert has to offer. You should also be very thankful to have such a good teacher!

Comment

Originally posted by noneya View Post

See, I never would have known that! Not that we have an cactus around these parts, but I still always thought you could drink from them... thanks!

Comment

I am. It took several years to be considered not just another white guy gone nuts. Before he past away in his 90's with a twenty+ year old wife and one 70, his favorite line to me was there was hope for my kids but I'd never be Human. Point though is that we tend to overlook our elders and their knowledge, so spend a day with your grandparents or at the Senior center locally, they love to teach.

Comment

Feasting Free on Wild Edibles by Bradford Angier

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0811727548/...SIN=0811727548

a bunch more from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...=edible+plants

dvds from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...qid=1307042357

Eat the weeds part 1.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x97jebTQisU
                      Last edited by Stitch; 06-02-2011, 03:38 PM.

Comment

This is something I have read books about, but would feel better having someone take me out and show me about this as it can be tricky knowing what is what. You don't want to make any mistakes on this one as some of them that are bad look like some of the good ones. Myakka would have been a great one to teach on this.

Comment

One of the most valuable pieces of advice may be the quote: "Patience, grasshopper." It's one of the most valuable traits to have when learning about wild plant edibles and medicinals because it is important to get acquainted with them over different seasons. So many plants look alike in their vegetative state but differ in their flowering state or seed bearing state.

Also become familiar with poisonous look-alikes! Sometimes observing the target plant and the look-alike plant over the seasons will reveal the differences between them.

This thread may be of additional help: https://survivalforum.survivalmagazi...lant-id-method
                          Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 12-02-2018, 09:45 PM.

Comment

One thing you can do is ask a park ranger state or federal near you about classes on local plants. They have groups that meet and give classes on local plants. Having a book that deals with western/desert plants will not help me in Florida!!!! Local knowledge is king!!!!!!

Comment

Rich, I will have to check into that this coming spring.

Comment

Working...
                              X