Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rhode
    replied
    turpentine is in the bark, too. you have to break it up, soak it in several different containers of water, and add something else for flavor, cause it tastes bland at best. Doesn't take all that many reptiles, birds, eggs, fish, amphibians and insects (all best roasted until very well done, then broken up into powder) to add some flavor and protein. Fats are what is hard to get in the wild. nuts, seeds, and critters are about the only source, and it wont keep for long. if you don't cache anything else, have some sealed metal tins of Crisco.

Leave a comment:

• Oscar Wilde
    replied
    Originally posted by myakka62 View Post
    You can also suppliment you Vitamin C by boiling green pine needles. Pine needle tea.
    Myakka, don't boil them. Bring your water to a boil, stop the boil and then place your needles in the water.
    If you boil those needles you'll get somethin akin to turpentine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrSqva1Y9Bg

O.W.

Leave a comment:

• swift shadow
    replied
    that will come in handy thanks for the great info

Leave a comment:

• myakka
    replied
    My Peterson Field Guide says all are edible. (And that some are better than others.)

But it does list the cambium as a source to make flour, not just to eat, so it may be nasty.

Also, Pink,
    the light younger needles are better tasting in tea than the dark green mature ones. I have only had it a couple times but it didn't seem bad to me.

Leave a comment:

• Applejack
    replied
    This is interesting to know. We to have pine trees everywhere. We will have to give this a try.
    Applejack

Leave a comment:

• Morgan101
    replied
    Does this hold true for ALL pine trees? There are about a bizillion different kinds.

Leave a comment:

• fearpink
    replied
    Originally posted by myakka62 View Post
    You can also suppliment you Vitamin C by boiling green pine needles. Pine needle tea.
    I've made that in Venture crew, it's pretty gross.... Also, the inner bark, if you take the white and orangeish bark right before you hit the inner bark you can suck on that for water, it takes like oranges, but you cannot swallow it, well you aren't supposed to.

Leave a comment:

• mountain1
    replied
    heck, thats an old woodsmans trick. its called the 'cambium' and yes it will keep you alive in a pinch...

Leave a comment:

• myakka
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Redneckamerican5792
    replied
    Thanks for sharing, I live in GA so we got soo many pines. If I ever need to survive it will more then likely be in heavy pine areas :D

Leave a comment:

• stairman
    replied
    white pines are best and we dont have them here. I have still gotten ploem from these pines but not nearly as much, really not worth it IMO.

Leave a comment:

• maric
    replied
    Originally posted by Curdog View Post
    Well, it may have tasted like chicken because I simmered it in chicken boullion...:)
    ahhh I see! Well, thats helpful to know! lol

Leave a comment:

• Curdog
    replied
    Well, it may have tasted like chicken because I simmered it in chicken boullion...:)

Leave a comment:

• PT945
    replied
    Goods to know, thanks good info.

Leave a comment:

• Stitch
    replied
    It tasted "piney" to me. I cooked it on a hot rock until it was golden brown.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X