No announcement yet.

Lambsquarter is one of my favorites.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is not lambs quarters in your pic..

Comment

Originally posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
      Your Photo doesn't look like the lambs quarters growing here.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1782[/ATTACH]

.... but I agree taste good and it's good for ya. The things folks mow down and pave over astound me.

O.W.
      O.W. That's what I have in my area. I let some grow up in the garden and it reached about 6' tall! Now that's a productive plant!lol!
      There are no emergencies for those who are truly prepared.

Comment

There a lot of different lambs quarter, about 6 or 8 that I know of, depending where you live. It can look very different depending on the soil, weather, sun light. Some are fuzzy, some are slick, or almost, some have a pink center and some don't.

Comment

I'v been use to killing it as a weed but thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
            I'v been use to killing it as a weed but thanks for the info.
            I don't believe there is such a thing as a "weed". I suspect the term was coined by those who enjoy their neatly manicured golf green like lawns .... everything has a purpose. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x97jebTQisU

O.W.
            Things are seldom what they seem.

Comment

Originally posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
              I don't believe there is such a thing as a "weed". I suspect the term was coined by those who enjoy their neatly manicured golf green like lawns .... everything has a purpose. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x97jebTQisU

O.W.
              I was referring to farming applications as I am an Agriculture Technician an work with farmers in NC.

Comment

That doesn't look like lambs quarters that grows in Arkansas, ours looks like this. Click image for larger version

Name:	Lambs-Quarters.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	184960
                Last edited by Oscar Wilde; 03-20-2012, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by patty12 View Post
                  That doesn't look like lambs quarters that grows in Arkansas, ours looks like this. [ATTACH=CONFIG]4316[/ATTACH]
                  Are they coming up in your area?

O.W.

Comment

The first picture could be of Amaranth / Pigweed. ( Are the stems & leaves softly hairy? )
                    They are said to be equally as good as Lambs Quarter / Goosefoot.

I'm getting ready to step out and see what I can find in my area. Also looking for Nettles... I hear they are good also; dropping them in boiling water eliminates their sting.

Comment

Ive yet to locate Lambs quarter here but pictures Ive studied are nothing like the OP's pic. There might be other variations of course.

Comment

Never heard of pine needle tea, Is it just made out of boiled green needles and which kind of trees is better? I love wild raspberry leaf tea, just pick the leaves and dry them and boil it up, it is a mild very good flavored and is good for you. I will be collecting quite a bit of it and drying it this year.

Comment

Do you eat it raw? And aren't the leaves fuzzy?

Comment

Originally posted by preppinmomma View Post
                            Do you eat it raw? And aren't the leaves fuzzy?
                            PreppinMomma, I pluck leaves from the plants and eat as snacks while I'm working outside. I put the leaves in my sandwiches instead of lettuce, I cook them in with my eggs, the possibilities are numerous. You can eat them raw as with any lettuce or spinach or you can "blanch" them like any other green. The entire plant is edible and pleasantly tasty.

No they aren't fuzzy.

O.W.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 583.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	185144Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 582.jpg
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	185145Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 584.jpg
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	185146In SW MO they also look like this. I left a section in my garden just for them since they were so thick.

Comment

Originally posted by sassy View Post
                                Never heard of pine needle tea, Is it just made out of boiled green needles
                                NO, don't boil >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrSqva1Y9Bg

Broz, nice plot of Lamb's Quarters.

O.W.

Comment

Working...
                                X