Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shooter1201
    replied
    During the Nazi occupation of Greece, the Greeks surviced on wild greens.

Leave a comment:

• Domdabears
    replied
    I've heard of the coffee trick use for dandelions.
    As I'm drinking coffee right now, it just don't sound good.
    I love my coffee!

Leave a comment:

• Curdog
    replied
    The leaves are best before they flower

Amen to this. Also, most of the bitter latex is in the leaves' midribs- so strip 'em out! They are mildest when harvested from a shady area, and the leaves tend to be bigger- I love to pick them under pines- nearly perfect conditions for good greens.

Leave a comment:

• shooter1201
    replied
    The flowers are edible. To eat, pick, wash and remove the green 'seaple'(sp?), as it is very bitter. Dip in cornmeal batter, fry and eat like 'tater tots'.

Leave a comment:

• maric
    replied
    Originally posted by Skyowl's Wife View Post
    This is pretty good dandelion info:

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Pla...Dandelion.html
    Good stuff, Wife! My almost 3 yr old eats everything, literally... she loves dandelions, I got a lot of info from the article!!! thanks

Leave a comment:

• Stitch
    replied
    The leaves are best before they flower. It helps with the older leaves if you change the water after bringing it to a boil, this will help get rid of some of the bitternes. The juiced roots are a good liver/blood cleanser, but the taste is horrible.

Leave a comment:

• badkarma
    replied
    Originally posted by Professor Weno View Post
    I cooked up some dandelions yesterday. 1) I think I got older leaves - all I could find 2) I think that I should have boiled them 3) I sauted them with onions, butter and garlic but they still had a bitter, overpowering taste. What is the best way to prepare them?
    New leaves are best. I'd recommend eating them uncooked, I don't know how heat makes them react. That might make them bitter in the same way that cooking some greens makes them NOT bitter.

Leave a comment:

• Professor Weno
    replied
    I cooked up some dandelions yesterday. 1) I think I got older leaves - all I could find 2) I think that I should have boiled them 3) I sauted them with onions, butter and garlic but they still had a bitter, overpowering taste. What is the best way to prepare them?

Leave a comment:

• Skyowl's Wife
    replied
    I had never heard of lemon grass until daughter found Lemongrass Chicken at a local Viet Namese eatery.

Will look into it. If it will grow here, I can add it to the chives and marigolds dotted around the garden boxes to repel bugs.

Leave a comment:

• PT945
    replied
    Originally posted by Jamman View Post
    cant you eat the whole dandelion plant? stem, flower and all i thought. and lemon grass is tasty too.
    Indian lemon grass is also a bug repellent because it contains citronella.

Leave a comment:

• Skyowl's Wife
    replied
    This is pretty good dandelion info:

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Pla...Dandelion.html

Leave a comment:

• Oatmealer
    replied
    cant you eat the whole dandelion plant? stem, flower and all i thought. and lemon grass is tasty too.
    You shouldn't eat anything buy the roots and leaves. The "milk" the plant produces is extremely bitter

Leave a comment:

• wyatt265
    replied
    Hey, back in a small town in Illinois where I grew up in the 50's My Grandma and I used to walk the yards an alleys for the fresh greens from the dandy.....lion... Also the flowers without the green part can be used to make a really light flavorful wine. takes a lot tho. the flowers I mean. Of course, you don't want dandy lions that have been sprayed with weed killer or other noxious things. The greens as I recall with a bit of vinigar were similar to spinich. Pretty tasty, the stems.............. just don't know. don't think so tho,

Leave a comment:

• troubled troubadour
    replied
    Makes good wine too.

Leave a comment:

• Oscar Wilde
    replied
    cant you eat the whole dandelion plant? stem, flower and all i thought.
    I can't find the source but I've read that the stem is not to be eaten .... the rest is a go particularly the root.

O.W.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X