Camassia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camassia

The Plateau tribes gathered and used over 130 different wild plants. It is estimated that from 40% to 60% of their calories came from the plant foods which they gathered. One of the most important root crops for the Plateau tribes was camas, which provided a major source of carbohydrates for their diet.

Where does it grow?

How is it used?

It can be eaten raw. Natives often boiled them or roasted them. They have a taste similar to a sweet potato. Lewis and Clark ate a TON of Camas after their supplies ran out. Camas is very high in protein: 5.4 ounces of protein per pound of roots. In comparison, steelhead trout (Salmo gairdneri) has 3.4 ounces of protein per pound. Dried camas can be preserved for many years. Some American explorers report eating camas that had been prepared 36 years earlier. NEAT!

I'm off to find me some camis! Hehe

-Buggy
    Last edited by Buggyout; 08-28-2017, 10:26 AM.
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
    -Arthur C. Clarke

Well rats! It doesn't grow in my part of the USA.

Comment

Doesn't grow in my area either. Guess we are out of luck.

Comment

Just don't confuse it with death camas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicoscordion_venenosum I recall hearing of people doing that. But like you said then native americans in the west made a living off of the blue stuff.

Comment

See Buggy, I knew there was stuff out there. We just have to know what to look for, and where to look.
          The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Working...
          X