No announcement yet.

New to hunting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a bit surprised that this thread has settled in on big game hunting considering the first rifle mentioned was a .270, a caliber suitable to larger game animals. Larger animals like deer tend to be far harder to hunt then you might think but the larger protein reward makes them appealing. For anyone starting out I would like to see them move in a different direction.

Nothing can beat a rifle in .22 rim-fire. The intended game to be hunted would be small, plentiful like rabbits and squirrels. The rifle would be light and easy to carry, a sling would help here. The action be it semi auto, bolt or single shot is more personal preference and almost all of them are more accurate the a person has the ability to hold steady. The ammo is cheap and lots of it can be carried with little space or weight problems. If you don't shoot it often you can't get to be a proficient marksman/game getter so the lesser cost helps you to afford to practice. The power of the round is plenty enough to kill cleanly and with little damage to the edible meat.

As a kid growing up in northern New York State I would take my .22, and a pocket knife into the woods and return with a fine meal many more times then not.

If big game is really what you want to try that is fine but starting small first will be a learning experience that will carry over into larger game. Good luck.

Comment

OK you got your weapon, choice of ammo, and the location you will hunt in. What's next.

1. Know and follow the hunting laws for your area. Your local hunting laws will give you the date you can start using cameras, prior to start of the hunting season. Camo clothing, is determined by how much Orange Identification Clothing is required by your state hunting laws.

2. Starting 7 days before you hunt, wash your hunting clothing in a no-scent (Hunting laundry soap). Put them outside each day that is sunny. Then pack them up in a plastic bag.

3. 72 hours before the first day of hunting, start washing your body with no-scent soap, shampoo, and special toothpaste. Sold either in a sporting store or on-line.

4. Determine where the deer in your hunting area are, and how they are traveling. This can be done with trail cameras and identification of animal trails. You need to be able to identify scat and the foot prints of the animals you are hunting, Deer, bear, pig, even rabbits.

Hint: Number 2 and 3 are used to confuse animals you are hunting. Just how do deer locate you? About 70 percent scent, 25 percent noise, and 5 percent eyesight.

Someone I'm sure will cover tree stand, blind, and stalking hunting styles.

Well enough for now.
      Last edited by RICHFL; 02-07-2015, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Welcome to this amazing sport. The best advice i can give to you is BE PATIENT. That is the difference between a good and a bad hunter

Comment

Working...
        X