Anyone ever tried these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever tried these?

Have seen these at cheaperthandirt and other places...

Click image for larger version

Name:	auto reel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	190857

Curious, has anyone used these? Do they work, worth the money, etc? I set limb lines from time to time and these sound like something that could up the cances of a hook set.
    Also, in a shtf scenario, these could be used to fish/snare for you while doing other tasks.

Thanks
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Sorry, meant to mention these are called auto or yo-yo reels.

Thanks
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Comment

We have 3 dozen in our preps. Here in W. Tenn they work good. Plus you can be doing something else while they work.
      You don't have to be perfect, but you better be smart!!!

Comment

I have, and have 8 of them in my bag. You can also use them for more then fishing. In my unit we used them for traps and fishing.
        "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
        -Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks! Will have to add these to the list...

Comment

Originally posted by longhunter View Post
            Thanks! Will have to add these to the list...
            They are worth it. I have been thinking of getting more.
            "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
            -Ben Franklin

Comment

We bought a couple of each ( large and small) to test. They work pretty well as snares and for small to medium fish. But not so great for larger 5+ pound fish, especially catfish. the spring isn't strong enough to set the hook well. Otherwise they work great so we ordered a couple dozen of each size to go in our survival kit.

Comment

Originally posted by 101airborne View Post
                We bought a couple of each ( large and small) to test. They work pretty well as snares and for small to medium fish. But not so great for larger 5+ pound fish, especially catfish. the spring isn't strong enough to set the hook well. Otherwise they work great so we ordered a couple dozen of each size to go in our survival kit.
                Thanks for the info. Even without a good hook set, I would think the spring keeping tension on the line would help keep them from working loose? I ordered some and will put them through their paces this spring.

Comment

I've used them for years with great success, especially during the spawn, but it has been a while back. We would tie about 20 of them in a cove and listen for them to go "zing". Paddle over, remove fish, and re-bait. They were deemed illegal by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. some years back. I still have them stored away in case the law reverts back to the good ol' days.
                  "The enemy is the necessary condition for practicing patience."

Comment

I'm glad to hear that they work as I purchased some recently. I hope to try them out when the local lakes & rivers thaw out, hopefully soon.
                    Action expresses priorities!!!!!!

Comment

I have a dozen of them, and they actually work pretty good. Illegal to use in my state but WTSHTF I'm glad I'll have them, illegal or not I'll be using them. For now they're tucked away in one of my many cache boxes that are ready and waiting.

Joe
                      SEMPER PARATUS

Comment

Have you thought about puting one on a tip up?
                        Originally posted by zany View Post
                        I'm glad to hear that they work as I purchased some recently. I hope to try them out when the local lakes & rivers thaw out, hopefully soon.

Comment

There is two sizes large and medium. They both work fine. These are used where you can fish and move around and do other things to support your camp area. You just use these for still fishing and the best you may get is a large cat fish. Done that plenty of times...

If I will stay at the site fishing I just use fishing line and a fresh cut pole. best way to teach survival fishing skills to your kids and grand kids. Had plenty of great times doing this. My 10 year old grandson caught a 5 pound large mouth bass 2 years ago on just such a rig. What a surprise that was!

Comment

Originally posted by RICHFL View Post
                            There is two sizes large and medium. They both work fine. These are used where you can fish and move around and do other things to support your camp area. You just use these for still fishing and the best you may get is a large cat fish. Done that plenty of times...

If I will stay at the site fishing I just use fishing line and a fresh cut pole. best way to teach survival fishing skills to your kids and grand kids. Had plenty of great times doing this. My 10 year old grandson caught a 5 pound large mouth bass 2 years ago on just such a rig. What a surprise that was!
                            Exactly why I was looking at them, if in a situation I could set up (hopefully) more effencient bank lines while I hunt, trap, gather wood etc. I just got some from cheaperthandirt the other day and plan on trying them out soon.

I bet your grandson had fun catching that! We do alot of cane pole fishing, last night we caught our limit of crappie and a couple of channel cat.

Comment

Working...
                            X