Squirrels for supper tonight!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squirrels for supper tonight!!

I carried my wife and my middle daughter out squirrel hunting yesterday. We ended up getting 7 altogether ( there are only 6 in the pics).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Squ1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	190810

Name:	Squ2.jpg
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	190811

Name:	Squ3.jpg
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	190812

Got them dressed out and cleaned up good last night. Today when I get home from work, gonna put them on the smoker and we're gonna have "squirrels for supper tonight!!"
    " If you want to live, treat me good " Peter Tosh

Ah man you make me so hungry I'm gonna go get some out of the freezer before I go to work! Looks like a fun day
    You don't have to be perfect, but you better be smart!!!

Comment

Nice! I am taking a women's group out on a squirrel hunt saturday- some experienced, some not. Should be fun.

Comment

man those look tasty! i sure do miss squirrel hunting. i use to do it all the time when i lived down in alabam'. we only have those little 'pain in the ass' red/pine squirrels out here in the mountains... i've never hunted them because i've been told that they taste like pine (because they eat pretty much nothing but pine/larch nuts)...yuck!

Comment

So after cleaning the squirrels really good and soaking them to get the blood out, I rubbed them down with a good dry rub then put them on the smoker for about 2 hours then I wrapped them in tin foil and let them cook for about another 2 1/2 hours. When we took them out, they were so tender the bones just pulled right out of the meat. We added a little salad with some baked potatoes and baked beans along with some homemade yeast rolls and I ate so much I passed out watching Monday Night Football. Glad we live so far out that we didn't have any Trick-or-Treaters, I don't think I could have gotten up to answer the door.

BTW, we had a blast. I had a little .22 and chased the squirrels around to the sides of the trees that the women were on so that they could get all the shots. My daughter used a .410 and my wife used a 20 gauge, both with #5 shot.
          If they are new, make sure to tell them to aim for the head, don't want to bust any guts. We had a few of the BB's go through the midsections, but no busted intestines or bladders on any that we harvested.
          Last edited by 10eckid; 11-01-2011, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Awesome thanks for sharing I really like the way you cooperatively hunted as a family that is very good to see
            NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO

Comment

Originally posted by 10eckid View Post
              I carried my wife and my middle daughter out squirrel hunting yesterday. We ended up getting 7 altogether ( there are only 6 in the pics).

Got them dressed out and cleaned up good last night. Today when I get home from work, gonna put them on the smoker and we're gonna have "squirrels for supper tonight!!"
              Good job. I'll bet it was fun. I don't know how you skin them but my son and I tried this method and with a little practice, it's a lot faster than the old way we did it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66AVwthXgMA
              "The enemy is the necessary condition for practicing patience."

Comment

Hey computerman, that way looks a little quicker than the way I do it now, I'll have to try that out next time. Thanks.

Here is how they looked when they came off the smoker.

Name:	smokedsquirrel2.jpg
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	184804

Name:	smokedsquirrel1.jpg
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	184803

Comment

Originally posted by 10eckid View Post
                  Hey computerman, that way looks a little quicker than the way I do it now, I'll have to try that out next time. Thanks.

Here is how they looked when they came off the smoker.
                  I just ate a mushroom, Swiss, jalapeno burger the size of my head and those pics made my mouth water. I've had squirrel every way BUT smoked. Any secrets to making them tender?
                  "The enemy is the necessary condition for practicing patience."

Comment

Nice. Couldn't get my daughter to shoot one. For those who don't get out in the woods as much as they would like, and have squirrels they need to get rid of in the neighborhood, I use rat traps screwed to the tree (so other animals can't get into it) and I use peanut butter as bait. Never go hungry. :)
                    G.I.H.S.O. Going In Hot, Safety Off.

Comment

Originally posted by computerman View Post
                      Any secrets to making them tender?
                      After smoking them. I wrap them up tight in tin foil and let them cook for a couple of hours between 200 & 250 degrees.

Comment

One easy way to use them is to make chicken and rice, but use squirrel instead... much better to me!

Comment

Working...
                        X