What to expect on arrival at your hunting buyout area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to expect on arrival at your hunting buyout area

What you should expect to the area you plan to buyout and hunt in. Long before you can arrive you should expect local hunters will have harvest all animals to feed their own groups.. Then there is hunters from local cities trying to gather good for their grouos.

I know this from people hunting on our property even when posted and fenced. They just don't care. We lost two milk cows last year to hunters!

So if you expect to find meat available for hunting you will need to wait a year or more before the animals return to your area.

the animals will not return. The only meat available will be livestock, dogs and cats. If you dont have food cached at the BOL, you're going to starve to death before things calm down enough to let you get away with having hidden plots of sprouts, and root veggies.

Comment

If i had a farm and shtf, I'd have the same dugout and buried caches that I have now. Living there would simplify the caching a lot. When things go south, you'll have the luxury of killing a cow, converting her into jerky and quickly/easily gt the jerky into already-buried drums. But you wont be able to defend your lifestock nor your garden, nor even your home. Your farm will draw looters to you. All such buildings will be searched, repeatedly if shtf. and if you shoot at them, they'll just hang around and snipe you, or burn you out at night., Either way, you cant defend your animals. They can just kill all of your stock from a distance and you can't do anything about it.

Comment

caching food ahead of time is problematical because of bears. 40 of the lower 48 states have bears, Keeping bears out of a food cache is nearly impossible. However, if it's YOUR land, you can cache where you control the area and you can have baited snares "guarding" the the caches. I dont have that luxury. So I bury only the cheap stuff, that lasts forever, like grain,, molasses, salt, sugar, Koolaid, powdered milks. When, not if, shtf, I'll have to walk alongside of a bicycle and bring the 100 lbs of high dollar, heavily scented, short life span stuff, like honey, veggie oil, nut butters, spices, seeds, etc. That stuff is in a storage unit closest to my BOL, and the already buried drums are half a mile away in the woods. So i can quickly get that high-dollar, out of sight, out of reach of dogs, coons, rodents, insects, etc. I can then go on to the BOL and return for that food as needed. There's netting buried near the lake. So I'll need to get the netting set-out. and the snares set on the salt-licks that i've set up there. I buried big chunks of salt and baited them with apples and carrots until I saw sign of deer using the "licks" . I'll again bait the licks and set out the snares.

Comment

My BOL has nothing but a few spiderholes and some concealed caches. There's nothing there to make anyone be there ahead of me. Once I access one of the caches to make certain that it's intact, I can immediately get out of sight and start tunneling. In a week I'll have 30 ft of tunnel connecting two spiderholes. This lets you sleep in peace. wire each lid for a home-built claymore, of course. If you detect men or dogs at one lid, you crawl to the other lid, pop out and either silent-22 3 or more of them, or toss a pipe bomb, 223 2-3 of them, then pop smoke grenades and move ten miles, before digging another tunnel. That will get you out of their area and still let you access your caches. When you have night vision and know to stay hidden during the day, that's all you need to do. If you want, however, you could move your caches farther away, especially if your bicycle was cached well enough to keep it from being found. You can move the food all in one night and come back for the drum too, if your intended new cache-pit is concealed and ready to accept the drum.

Comment

Looters are overrated, especially over here and especially once the power is off and fuel isnt being replaced.
            how far will they walk to do their looting? not far is the answer, over here we have an obesity crisis and people are unhealthy and unfit and grossly overweight in some cases.
            the further we are away from the big cities the safer it will be.
            once the big die off starts, and thats going to be a matter of weeks not months, without clean drinking water it will literally be days.
            over here, we do not have a history of evacuations, anything bad happens people are told to go indoors, shut their windows and stay there, 80% of the population is urban based and most have no idea where there food comes from and what plants are edible or will kill them, most are scared of the countryside.

Comment

Originally posted by RICHFL View Post
              What you should expect to the area you plan to buyout and hunt in. Long before you can arrive you should expect local hunters will have harvest all animals to feed their own groups.. Then there is hunters from local cities trying to gather good for their grouos.

I know this from people hunting on our property even when posted and fenced. They just don't care. We lost two milk cows last year to hunters!

So if you expect to find meat available for hunting you will need to wait a year or more before the animals return to your area.
              Why do humans live near other humans.

Have you ever gone six months with zero human contact....??? Not see a human or hear a human voice.....???

Live where there is abundant fish a game, and few humans
              One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

I have spent years living alone, I dont like or want human contact, give me nature and animals every time.

Comment

Working...
                X