Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks like I'm getting my winter supply of venison...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like I'm getting my winter supply of venison...

One down... soon to be in my dehydrator for jerky. Next to the guy who hit one with his car in front of my driveway a couple years back, this would be the 2nd easiest kill I ever had. Walked out my back door and kabam.. 160 yards through the heart.. deer ran 50 feet.

I love Hornady SST 300g slugs @ 2000 fps... Best 12ga slug I ever used, there isn't even a close second.

Down here deer are small about the size of a great Dane. That is why we can take up to five per season

Comment

Originally posted by RICHFL View Post
      Down here deer are small about the size of a great Dane. That is why we can take up to five per season
      We get them up to 200 lbs here for a large doe.. I didn't weight the one I just got but its pushing 200.. Lots of meat there. I'll turn the entire thing into jerky and what can't be used for jerky becomes either hamburger or dog food.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy View Post
        160 yards through the heart.. deer ran 50 feet.

I love Hornady SST 300g slugs @ 2000 fps... Best 12ga slug I ever used, there isn't even a close second.
        160 yds with a 12ga slug? is that out of a smooth bore or a rifled barrel? and what length barrel?
        I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Remington 870 Express Cantilevered with stock 18 inch rifled barrel and Nikon SlugHunter 3-9x40 scope.

I tried hunting with rifled slugs in smooth barrels.. Never again.. My bow and arrow are more effective. But with a 300 grain Hornady SST slug going 2000 fps out a rifled barrel, its like using a regular rifle.

I group 1.5 inches (1.5 MOA) at 100 yards reliably, which is where I zero my scope. I've taken deer out to 200 (measured) with it... but you have to lift the aim about 12 inches and there's just some strange and uneasy feeling about aiming for a spot above the animal. Its one of those cases where you must trust the science and put away the feelings. But it works!

But at 160 yards, you simply aim just a little higher.. maybe 5 or 6 inches and it will find the sweet spot.

Comment

Here we go:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	102286.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	216903Click image for larger version

Name:	0838623.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	216904

Comment