Moose - A Renewable Resource

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moose - A Renewable Resource

We have a mother moose and calf staying on our farm. The calf is about two weeks old and very cute. The mother is very attentive. She's old and this will probably be one of her last calves. There have been a lot of bear and wolf activity and this might be why they are staying close to us. There is also lots of food to eat and several springs full of cold, clear water. Luckily they have stayed out of the carrots. The cow probably won't make it through next winter due to her age. The calf will be full grown in two years and will be adding to the moose population.
    Mother moose and calf. She is about two weeks old and sticks close to her mother.

I give a moose more space when passing then grizzly bears. They are freaky fast at killing people. I see she has her hackles up. Just a guess.........But she has likely already lost one or two calves this spring.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 06-12-2018, 05:44 PM.
    One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

She had this strange tuft of white winter hair on her withers. In the pictures it looks like her hair is standing on end but it wasn't. Her ears were up and she acted calm. The 30-06 was behind the camera just in case she wanted to jump in the freezer. I suspect a bear or wolf already got one of her calves.

We do have bears and wolves that pass through from time to time. The dogs usually keep them in the alders. We have two guardian dogs that protect the livestock and children from predators (bears, wolves, eagles, hawks, weasels, etc.). They do a really good job.

The picture is one of two young wolves that wandered through the farm. They were interested in the ducks, chickens and geese but didn't want to take on the guardian dogs. These were wolves, not coyotes or huskies.

Comment

awwww. Thanks for the pics. I miss seeing moose and their calves. And I also kept as far as I could from them. They are very unpredictable.

Where do you live to have moose?

I also really miss having some in my freezer, but alas, no moose here.

Cedar

Comment

Hi Cedar - I'm in Nikiski, Alaska. Where do you live?

Comment

Originally posted by Gold Lock View Post
            Hi Cedar - I'm in Nikiski, Alaska.........
            Some really nice country there especially, North and East along the Turnagain Arm. Some monster Alaska Coastal Brown Bears in that area. Good trapping also. Have you been in that area very long......???
            One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

We've been here for about seven years. We picked up an old run down homestead. It use to be quiet down here but there seems to be more and more activity... especially with talk of the new LNG plant. Before this we were in Nome...Nome was great but expensive. And before that Talkeetna. Where exactly are you at?

We've had some small brown bear in the yard but no big ones. Usually the big ones are close to the salmon (Swanson River). I suspect the smaller teenage bears are too naive to realize that its not good to be close to houses. Lots of black bear. A few wolves pass through from the game reserve. Lots of coyotes. I trapped when I was younger but not any more. My oldest daughter has talked about it. Like her mother she looks forward to skinning and cleaning anything. The boys will probably be asking for a snow machine to go trapping when they get older.

Comment

I am back in Oregon now, but lived up in the Cariboo in British Columbia for 10 years. I traded moose and caribou for elk?

Cedar

Comment

Working...
                X