Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting Without Being Hunted ,,,,

https://survivalblog.com/acquiring-s...-d/#more-50910

fairly decent article on a prepper topic that doesn't receive near enough prepper attention - small game hunting uber quiet style ....

here's a follow up PART 2 of the article .....

https://survivalblog.com/acquiring-s...ly-part-2-s-d/
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 12-17-2017, 10:51 AM.

Nice article but the title is misleading. I thought it was about hunters becoming the hunted, Which did happen to me once a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by RICHFL View Post
      Nice article but the title is misleading. I thought it was about hunters becoming the hunted, Which did happen to me once a long time ago.

??????????? - header is correct - you need to hunt quietly during a serious SHTF to keep from becoming someone else's prey - if nothing else it keeps the neighbors from coming over looking for their half of the rabbit ....

Comment

I thought the article was pretty good but the author focused a bit too much on pellet rifle use in a survival situation. If your trying to fill bellies, hunting is not a great way of doing that. A short trapline set for multiple game species (rabbit, squirrels, birds, raccoons, etc.) will produce far more food with far less effort. Hunting only produces when luck brings you into proximity of your game and you successfully make a shot. Traps and snares are working for you 24/7. Just my view.

Dale
        Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

Originally posted by dalewick View Post
          I thought the article was pretty good but the author focused a bit too much on pellet rifle use in a survival situation. If your trying to fill bellies, hunting is not a great way of doing that. A short trapline set for multiple game species (rabbit, squirrels, birds, raccoons, etc.) will produce far more food with far less effort. Hunting only produces when luck brings you into proximity of your game and you successfully make a shot. Traps and snares are working for you 24/7. Just my view.

Dale

traps & snares yep - step further are box type traps and netting to capture animals to domesticate - animal husbandry should be the ultimate goal ....

Comment

Dale
            Dale, I know you have loads of trapping experience. If one wanted in after a SHTF to snare a deer what size aircraft cable would you need? I've read somewhere this has been done and can be effective along known trails. I'm thinking a 200+ pound deer killed quiet as can be beats 3 rabbits over a few days. I know it's illegal as hell currently but after the rules don't apply... if you had a few of these out and were able to get 1 or 2 you could pull the other sets and be sitting pretty comfortable. with the Mrs and kids I have 6 other mouths to be fed so take a lot of squirrels to make a stew.

Also, on coons, I heard something about them having a musk gland on their legs but that if you know where and how to remove them they can be great meat but knick those glands and it's garbage. Do you know what theyre talking about or know where I could learn more on it to try and teach myself. we have loads of roadkills around so thought I could always grab a fresh one and skin it out to learn how to do it.
            I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post

Dale, I know you have loads of trapping experience. If one wanted in after a SHTF to snare a deer what size aircraft cable would you need? I've read somewhere this has been done and can be effective along known trails. I'm thinking a 200+ pound deer killed quiet as can be beats 3 rabbits over a few days. I know it's illegal as hell currently but after the rules don't apply... if you had a few of these out and were able to get 1 or 2 you could pull the other sets and be sitting pretty comfortable. with the Mrs and kids I have 6 other mouths to be fed so take a lot of squirrels to make a stew.

Also, on coons, I heard something about them having a musk gland on their legs but that if you know where and how to remove them they can be great meat but knick those glands and it's garbage. Do you know what theyre talking about or know where I could learn more on it to try and teach myself. we have loads of roadkills around so thought I could always grab a fresh one and skin it out to learn how to do it.

http://www.justgamerecipes.com/gam-0010391.html

Comment

Country,
                Snares made out of 1/8 inch aircraft cable will hold whitetail deer, feral hogs, wolves, cougars and black bears. I prefer cam-lock snare locks as they close down and won't back off (open up), Set those snares as neck snares for all of the listed species as wolves, hogs and bear can chew through the cable enough that they can snap it and get away. Smaller southern deer can be taken with 3/32" cable which is the standard for many furbearers, such as coyotes, bobcats, raccoons, fox, beaver, etc.. The great thing about cable snares is you can make a lot of them for not much money and the keep forever but they are usually a one time catch device. But, it's easy enough to reuse the snare locks and turn used snares into extensions.

As far as the glands in coons, there is a pea shaped gland in the elbow area of the front legs as well as glands in the pads of there feet and close to the anus. Just cut them away without cutting into them and the meat should be great. I've never been fond of coon meat so I don't have a lot of experience with cleaning them for food. I usually gave my carcasses away to folks in the area that like them. Most of the folks I know cut at the joints and throw away everything below that cut and then par boiled them to remove a lot of the fat. Some of the older folks I knew mixed the fat with paraffin wax and made candles from it. Good luck on the eats.

Dale
                Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

Thanks ILW & Dale.

Dale, any suggestions on quality brand cam-locks? Also thanks on the Coon cleaning tips!
                  Last edited by CountryGuy; 12-18-2017, 12:04 PM.
                  I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

There are several on-line stores that deal in trapping. There is web sites that can teach you how to trap, skin and preserve the hide.

As for processing the meat, there are many you-tube lessons out there that have visual procedures.

Comment

Thanks ILW & Dale.

Dale, any suggestions on quality brand cam-locks? Also thanks on the Coon cleaning tips!
                      These are real good folks: https://www.snareshop.com/ and so are these: http://www.minntrapprod.com/

Good luck.

Comment

These are real good folks: https://www.snareshop.com/ and so are these: http://www.minntrapprod.com/

Good luck.

the Snare Shop has a good trapping info section link also ....

Comment

Working...
                        X