Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hunting and trapping Seasons are here!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting and trapping Seasons are here!!!

Am I the only one excited that Fall and it's Hunting and Trapping seasons are almost here. Getting traps ready for Nov 4 and leave for Colorado and elk hunting with my brother in 2 weeks. Hope to have elk for my years meat. Got to harvest a young Bison bull last fall and still eating on him. Hope to take whitetail deer, black bear, turkey and grouse here at home this year.
    North Dakota Bison
    Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Yeah, I've been running behind on hunting things due to work but want to get out and do some small game and then get ready for buck at the end end of Nov. I need to get in to archery and muzzelloader so I can get out for those seasons too.

Where did you take the Bison, Colorado?
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

I just wish hubby was able to go out hunting again. Hunting season has started here as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
        Yeah, I've been running behind on hunting things due to work but want to get out and do some small game and then get ready for buck at the end end of Nov. I need to get in to archery and muzzelloader so I can get out for those seasons too.

Where did you take the Bison, Colorado?
        North Dakota
        Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

All my family is ready for the season. I hoping for their usual generosity for letting them hunt on my place. I'm completely out of venison. Only harvested one white tail last year due to their work constraints. We all want the hunter to do better this year.

Comment

My son in law and grandson has finally gone deer hunting for the first time. They left yesterday. My daughter heard from them a little while ago and they are staying tonight to hunt again in early morning. She said my grandson was loving it. I am so glad for him as he has been wanting to go hunting for past few years. I just hope my son in law continues to take him and go hunting a lot.

Comment

That is cool about the bison. I didn't realize those could be hunted off a game farm. I used to keep a half a bison in my freezer, but our only butcher had a herd of them. I miss bison and moose meat..
              ​​​​​​I have been seeing bull elk in the back of pickups lately. I am not a hunter although I accidentally got a hunting license this year (thought my fishing license was a little pricey).
              We do have five resident deer on my property and surrounding area. I have a choker cable stuck in a stump here, and our momma deer was rubbing her head all over it. I had just seen her a second ago with this year's twins, so I didn't pay her too much attention until my daughter says, "Momma, there is something stuck on her head". I say, "It's just the cable, she's itchy". Daughter - "No, it's stuck on her head".....I look, scared she got tangled in the choker cable, and see it is a little buck. He must have followed the doe in.

All four of them were just three or four yards outside our windows. We don't shoot our deer, unless we have to. But I will put a mineral block out for them. They are currently drinking rainwater out of the tarps covering the firewood.

When I lived on the 100 acre farm, we did have a trappers license, and were running a trapline for predators. So I got to skin a female bobcat, a possum, a younger male cougar (county trappers got him, but I got to skin it after the took a tooth and weighed him), and a beaver which had been hit on the road, but other than a bloody nose, it looked fine. I don't like the killing part, but after it is dead, I like the skinning part.

If the coyotes I hear (and one I saw in our road the other morning) start causing problems, I might rig some snares, but I hate that as they are indiscriminate.

Good luck to you hunters.

Dalewick, you've mentioned trapping a few times, what are you doing, and how? Furbearers or..?

Cedar
              Last edited by Cedar; 11-26-2017, 10:21 AM. Reason: my phone didn't want to paragraphs this morning

Comment

Originally posted by Cedar View Post

Dalewick, you've mentioned trapping a few times, what are you doing, and how? Furbearers or..?

Cedar
                Cedar,

I'm trapping only furbearers. Targeting coyotes, fox and bobcats at the moment (or when I get to reset my line, Headed to FL in the AM to help the oldest daughter while she has all her wisdom teeth cut out ) but will be targeting mink come January. Love just being in the woods.

Dale

Comment

I had an American Fisher once. Another lights truck kill, but not a hair out of place. Tossed it double bagged in my freezer, but gave it to a First Nation's friend as I moved back to the States before I could skin it. (Not the food freezer you guys who are saying yuck!). But I have always been sad I didn't get to tan that one out.

Cedar

Comment

Finally,.....Cold weather and SNOW! YES, YES, YES!!!!

Comment

Good luck! If you get anything sweet, post it.

Cedar

Comment

My son in law and grandson had a great time but didn't get anything. But then this was the first time for both of them. My grandson wants to go every weekend now. I think he got the hunting bug.

Comment

Working...
                        X