Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good video about pace counting and dead reaconing

http://www.floridaadventuring.com/dead-reckoning.html

We do a fitness test at work where we have to walk 3 miles with a 45lb pack in 45 minutes. To train for this I use a treadmill set to 4 mph. (15 minute miles)
    After so many years of doing this, I find that I can judge my pace really well. I work with the other guys when they are training, and I am the one who administrates the test. So when I have someone struggling I walk with them and set the pace for them so they can finish.
    All of this is to say, that being so aware of how fast I am walking, (3-5 days a week in season) I have been able to walk for a period and guess very accurately how far I have gone.
    All of this is on established trails though, and I think the difficulty would be learning my pace in difficult terrain, and how that translates to miles on a map.
    Like most things I guess it takes doing it repeatedly and eventually it sinks in.
    "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Working...
    X