No announcement yet.

"Carrying" while camping and hiking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Either your a cop, or ballsy. Either way, I don't carry in the police station cause I don't want to loose my CCW. Same as airport.
    G.I.H.S.O. Going In Hot, Safety Off.

Comment

It is with me every where I can carry it.
      "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
      -Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by TheLastMountainMan View Post
        Either your a cop, or ballsy. Either way, I don't carry in the police station cause I don't want to loose my CCW. Same as airport.
        I am a Law Abiding Citizen. I don't know how things go in your state but here we have rights. We also have State Preemption. The state cannot take my CPL for entering a building I have a legal right to be.
        There was a police station in Bellingham, WA that tried that. It did not turn out well for them.
        Airports are also covered under Preemption. A public area is a public area. Just as Rights are Rights are Rights.

Comment

I always carry a gun or three. I always carry a knife or two. I am quite proficient in hand to hand combat.
          Even though I want and pursue peace, I am always prepared for a less than desirable situation. In today's society
          people are consumed by drugs, illegal, and prescription, and old reliable liquid courage. It is very common for people
          to go camping, fishing, and hunting for no other reason to see how drunk or high they can stay for the weekend.
          Some people cant help but to get stupid wherever they go. Stay prepared wherever you go, there are few safe places.

Comment

Quite a few years ago I took my kids and some of their friends on a camping/fishing trip. The nearest campers were down the lake shore barely visible. Late that night several trucks with people came down close to where we had camped. They were loud and unruly, racing trucks around showing no respect. We tried to ignore them but walking though our camp while we tried to sleep was the last straw. I sat up in a chair in front of our tents all the time they were out there. Made me realize one serious flaw in my ability to protect my family when all I had was a fillet knife for defense. Granted a knife is good for defense up close but since I'm not trained in knife fighting I would have felt better with my gun. Now I never leave it behind even while camping or fishing. I always carry concealed every where I go.

Comment

I knew being on a survival site that Id be in the minority by not carrying. Most of my woods time is hunting so Im armed then, and while kayaking Ive always got a snake gun. Someone who has to carry a gun at all times IMO is paranoid. Its rare to have the bad luck of being the victim of a murderer. Probably better odds of someone getting ahold of your stashed weapon. A shotgun has always been propped up beside the bed for home security and on a remote camp with the wife I would take my 38 as well but other than that Ill take my chances. I dont expect my opinion to be very popular but thats the way I feel about and on to the next thread.

Comment

lol don't worry stairman, it's not about being popular or in the minority/majority. Each person has their preference and as folks voice theirs, we all have a chance to learn something new; no one is right or wrong
                Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

I just carried my G-22 for 12 days in remote Kodiak Island. It seemed a bit light for the two "Camp Bears" but they were not destructive.
                  One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

I have 3 daughters and I carry a gun camping I might be paranoid but the sad fact is the world is not as safe as it use to be so its better to be careful.
                    NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO

Comment

The fact of the matter is that crime is down. Crime has been going down every year since the '80's. The last 4 years have seen the biggest drops in crime. I know it doesn't seem like it because of everything in the news but it is true. It seems like it is more dangerous but you have to understand that we get information almost instantly now. Something happens in Westminster, MA and you hear about it in Seattle, WA. 15 years ago that didn't happen.
                      I carry everywhere. That does not mke me paranoid.
                      If you wear a seat belt then you are paranoid. If you have smoke alarms in your house then you are paranoid. If you get vaccinations then you are paranoid. If you buy a generator, powdered eggs, water filters, ibuprofen, bandaids, a spare tire, health insurance, car insurance or look both ways before crossing the street then you are paranoid.
                      You do every single one of these things as a just in case. I carry a gun for the same reason I wear a seatbelt. You don't plan on getting into an accident. That is why it is called an accident.
                      You cannot predict where a criminal is going to be.
                      Apparently none of the people in the Reno IHOP thought they needed a gun.
                      That is one example of how things go wrong.
                      Maybe you need a gun for a criminal or maybe you need a gun for a dog that is attacking you. (Apartments in Worcester, MA anybody?)
                      Maybe you carry your entire life and never need to use the weapon. Was it still paranoid?

Comment

Survival in an urban setting is just as important than in a wilderness one. A person gears up with all that is needed for all possible situations when heading out into the wilderness but wanders about without a care or any sense of danger urban settings? A bear would cause a sense of alarm and be given a wide birth and respect but the guy that tracks you and your family from behind down the street at night is of no concern. Seems complacent to me. The feeling to protect ones self and family shouldn't be left at home beside the bed. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Iron mike View Post
                          I have 3 daughters and I carry a gun camping I might be paranoid but the sad fact is the world is not as safe as it use to be so its better to be careful.
                          Who told you it was ever safe to camp unarmed?

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient...w=1440&bih=648

The link is to pictures of Horace Kephart in various camps. Kephart was one of the outdoor writers of the early 20th century to those that might not be aware of where the Kephart knife and various other gear came from. He wrote Camping and Woodcraft, which is also one of the outdoor classics.

In almost every picture he is shown armed. He habitually carried a S&W 38spl in a shoulder holster and often kept a model 35 Remington semiauto rifle close at hand.

His normal habitat was in Tennessee and North Carolina in what is now the GSM National Park.

Nesmuck and most of the other outdoorsmen of those "Safe" times always carried firearms when camping. I can not remember ever going camping without a firearms along. My first solo trips were as a teen, armed with whatever was needed for the hunting season in effect, even if I was not hunting.

We look back nastalgically on a time when it was not really "safe", it was just that no one had anything to steal so they did not have to lock their doors.
                          Last edited by Mortblanc; 05-07-2012, 10:33 PM.

Comment

I don't carry on my person. I probably will when things get rougher. For now I usually have something in the truck. I am a very competent knife fighter, even taught for a few years. I ALWAYS have at least one knife on me. But back to the thread, I always have my handgun when I am camping. There are enough snakes and other bad things out there to justify it even if you don't count the two legged kind.
                            "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Working...
                            X