"Carrying" while camping and hiking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Carrying" while camping and hiking

In all honesty, it would be nice to not need the added weight and responsibilities, but in today's world I think that would be fallacy (sp?). Just as you practice accessing the firearm from your concealed area, do you also practice accessing it in full pack? What are your contingency plans for the trips to the showers, swimming, sitting at the campfire after supper, short exploration walks from the tent? The firearm doesn't do you any good if it's secured in the vehicle, hidden at the camp, or out of reach when you need it. So before the season really heats up and gets going, get the gear out and answer these questions now. It's not needed to answer them (too many people also watch these types of forums to learn for the wrong reasons) here, but practice and work out the sequences that meet your needs.

good luck and hope everyone has a good summer. We're planning on hitting the camping heavy this year and the kids are geeked. Now if I can just keep up with them :eek:
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

I have a pistol that I have personally shot over 15000 rounds in 15+ years of law enforcement. I carry it nearly all the time, everyday. At night its on my bed stand. I have it on me when I cook, relax, hike. I even have it close when I shower.

It's a holster worn, scratched beat up, sometime rusty Glock (I policed on the coast of Oregon) that has never had a malfunction. If I'm not carrying it, I carry something else from my gun safe.

Some may say I am paranoid. I say I am just really really really really really aware. :cool:

Seriously though, now is not the time in this society NOT to be armed.

-Buggy
    I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

Originally posted by Buggyout View Post
      .... Some may say I am paranoid ....

-Buggy
      Paranoid or dead .... I've chosen "A" as well, although I think in terms of yesteryear .... cautious.

O.W.
      Things are seldom what they seem.

Comment

Looks like a good time for some lumpy cargo shorts and a P3at or Ruger LCP.

I have carried a P3AT for 3 years and have found it possible to discretely conceal in any clothing and almost any situation. I do not own a holster for this pistol. It rides in my right front pants pocket with an oval of heavy leather on top of it to break the outline.

I am old and lumpy anyway and no one seems to notice.

I am fortunate to live in a relitively safe area but one never knows what is lurking in the woods.

Comment

I have found that in this situation (heat/summer) a good option is baggy cargo shorts and XXL plaid short sleeve shirt. It fits my taste in apparel and the plaid (tight plaid pattern/many small squares) breaks the shape of my 1911 very well. BTW, I am 240 lbs and 6'2" so I get what you mean about already
          "lumpy" being helpful Mort!

Comment

lol there are some advantages to being "lumpy" i agree. Plus, we tend to look like the soft kind hearted type that hate confrontation. Hey...i'll take every scrap of advantage I can in those situations
            Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Originally posted by Buggyout View Post
              I have a pistol that I have personally shot over 15000 rounds in 15+ years of law enforcement. I carry it nearly all the time, everyday. At night its on my bed stand. I have it on me when I cook, relax, hike. I even have it close when I shower.

It's a holster worn, scratched beat up, sometime rusty Glock (I policed on the coast of Oregon) that has never had a malfunction. If I'm not carrying it, I carry something else from my gun safe.

Some may say I am paranoid. I say I am just really really really really really aware. :cool:

Seriously though, now is not the time in this society NOT to be armed.

-Buggy
              I agree with you; I too am hyper-vigilant of my surroundings at all times.

To the OP, Yes, practicing and exercising concealed carry while hiking is mandatory to me, and it as will be my duty to protect my family.

Comment

I used to think that if I was afraid of something in the woods, I don't need to be there. However, in the past few years I have come to realize I am not afraid of the woods, it's some of the other people out there. I am starting to carry more and more these days. We have always had weapons at camp for target practice, but are becoming more aware and taking one with us as we venture out. I guess we would rather be safe than sorry. As another member said, items at camp won't help you when you aren't there.

Comment

I go no place w/o my side arm and I agree shorts w/XXL shirt helps conseal, also I find it easer to get at. I conceal carry at church and dinner functions but around the house and yard I open carry. My wife will carry a Walter P22 in her pocket book. But so far refuses to carry on hip or shoulder holster around town. Still working on her. When camping in forest no problem. Practice makes perfect I say.

Zeke
                  Be prepared; Some thing is going to happen

Comment

since Ive been convicted of an assault, many years ago, I cant get a CWP. I do carry a knife at all times and have a handgun but rarely carry it on my person. I try to stay out of iffy areas where I dont belong and in the woods I dont fear others are out to do me in.

Comment

I carry my sidearm with me everywhere I go no exceptions. Even when I'm sitting watching TV or on the computer my handgun is always right beside me. Handguns are like condoms, it's better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

Joe
                      SEMPER PARATUS

Comment

I am armed everywhere I go. I concealed for 7 years. Now if it's not raining I open carry. Much easier than CC. Most people don't notice and the rest don't care. Now I can dress for the weather while maintaining my ability to defend myself and my wife. The wife OC's as well.
                        I have had many excellent conversations with people while OC'ing.

Comment

I will always carry, usually a snub nosed .38 or S&W M&P 40 subcompact. You never know what you will run into in the woods be it four legged or two legged.

Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
                          The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

I carry all the time. Only exceptions, police stations, and airports. Oh, and if I'm drinking. Which I rarely do.
                            G.I.H.S.O. Going In Hot, Safety Off.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLastMountainMan View Post
                              I carry all the time. Only exceptions, police stations, and airports. Oh, and if I'm drinking. Which I rarely do.
                              I carry at both of those places. I don't drink while carrying, though. And since I don't like to be unarmed in public I confine my drinking to my home.

Comment

Working...
                              X