Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is your favorite place to Camp & Hike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is your favorite place to Camp & Hike?

I really like the Fall Creek Falls area in Tennessee.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0145.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	184923I like camping and hiking up in the White Mountains, when out tenting it. If I want to camp somewhere with a few amenities I use my uncles camp up in the Swiftwater and Bath NH area. About a five minute drive to Lost River. Most of the time when I'm out I just find a secluded spot in the forest and set up. There have been times though when the weather started out good, but by the time I reached my destination the weather turned against me and I would end up sleeping in my truck. Thank goodness for truck caps or it would have been a tight and uncomfortable night.

Joe
    Last edited by JLBIII; 03-12-2012, 07:59 AM.
    SEMPER PARATUS

Comment

Love the Virgin Falls pocket wilderness area near Sparta Tn. Have been there twice. Shooting for the South Cumberland state park area(Savage Gulf) in a couple of wks. Have looked it up on-line. Looks very primitive. Nice..............

Comment

memories

Years ago, our hunting/ camping trips was to Moose River Plans. Not very well known RT 28 & 30,
        its up state N.Y. You check in at Ranger Station, fill out a form , what area, how long the stay.You must check out on that day or they will come looking for you.The area is very much like parts of the Smokey Mountians. I had a conversion van in those days, so setting up camp was a snap. Water, firewood was never a problem and the scenery was beautiful.

~AS LONG AS IT DOESN"T RAIN~
        BILL----------------------------------->
        NRA LIFE/ENDOWMENT MEMBER 1975
        LIFE MEMBER VIETNAM VETERANS OF AMERICA 1984

Comment

We call this Mysterious Pirate Island. It is only accesible in the late winter and early fall. It usually littered with musselshels. My girl likes to collect them and then we have to put a limit on how many she can bring home. Good catfishing with mule deer and a few whitetail deer, cottontail rabbits, coyotes, raccoons and porcupines.
          Milk river MT.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MY SPOT.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	184926
          SQUARE PEG IN A ROUND HOLE

Comment

Back in my younger days, while living in Texas I used to go to Scott Ables Canyon, in the Sacramento Mountains of New Mexico. Went there for years, just a beautiful and awesome area. For the last 10 or so years, been camping and hiking in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Absolutely awesome up there, I'm hoping to be moving up in that area soon.

Comment

I love a place on the Pee Dee river in Richmond county NC that is several miles from the nearest road and has a great spring in the side of a hill for good water and a great place to set up camp . It is very cool even on the hottest summers day and sheltered in the winter .
              Robert W
              Democracy Will Cease To Exist When You Take Away From Those Who Are Willing To Work And Give to Those Who Are Not.-Thomas Jefferson

Comment

When we were kids my Dad would take us out to the Huron National Forrest and drop us off for the weekend with limited supplies. We had a great time, trapping rabbits, giging frogs, and fishing. We learned how to build lean to's, start fire, collect water, cook wild game.

Now I go to Land Between the Lakes for back country camping, I also have a friend with property on the red river, a pretty nice set up.

Comment

I have favorites for the areas I've lived in. Saw a post about the Moose River area up in the 'Dacks. Have spent some good times there. Perhaps my all-time favorites are in Colorado...Sangre de Cristo and San Juan ranges. Sentimental favorite is Whitaker Wetlands just west of the Catskill Mts. Took my daughter there for her first 'big' hike and first backpack camp.

Comment

Usually in the Catskills its McKinley Hollow lean-too, around 3 miles before Slide Mt., 2 yrs. ago we went to Seymour mt. near Tupper lake.

Comment

As far as camping, I usually go to the Crab Orchard Campgrounds or Devils Kitchen lake. I was raised on the lake and have caught a lot of fish out of them. We live about 6 miles from the campground and having 4 dogs to take care of 3 of which i can take with me to the campgrounds and it seems like my St. Bernard isn't so welcome. He's very protective. As far as hiking, we live pretty close to Giant City State Park and the Garden of the Gods. They are both equally as beautiful in the fall when the leaves start to turn. Did pack the wife and kids up one year and headed to Lake Barkley, Kentucky for a couple weeks. I Would love to take off and go again sometime in the near future.
                      “Extraordinary people survive under the most terrible circumstances and they become more extraordinary because of it.”
                      ― Robertson Davies

Comment

Kodiak Island, Alaska
                        One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

I have a few areas I love to camp, but my favorite is the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore area in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It is surrounded by state forest, it is very heavily wooded. Lots of streams and lakes to fish. Good hunting for whitetail, black bear and lots of other critters. Stunning scenery, great air (I have a friend with serious sleep apniya that doesn't need his c-pac while up there) and lots of peace and quiet. You can find noiseir areas if you want. Never hear anything except for the cry of loons at my campsite.

Comment

Pennsylvania Grand Canyon
                            Survival is not the art of living it's the art of existing

Comment

Yellowstone. We have been out there twice in the last 2 years. The Tower area has a nice drive through campground and the road in is just rough enough to deter most rv's and trailer campers... so its all tents, nice and quiet. I never been to a place that held such a high volume of wildlife. If you take the recent bear attacks and free roaming buffalo into consideration, its pretty freakin dangerous... in an exciting kinda of way. You dont dare drive around at night. At any moment you could be within 3 seconds of slamming into a 1 ton mammal at 40mph. Some of the most pristine, secluded, and most abundant trout fishing streams on the planet..... and its an insane drive from North Alabama.

Comment

Working...
                              X