No announcement yet.

Hachet, Ax, or Saw? For Backpacking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive used hatchets, folding saws, and machetes each have their own pros and cons. You are just going to have to make the leap, for the few pounds they add i would take them all. but thats me personally. A high quality steel hatchet should be well balanced and sturdy, same with a machete, folding saws i look for thicker blade lighter handle. the biggest problem i have had out of the cheaper foolding saws is that if you get in to big a hurry and the blade binds in the wood it will bend and after that it is almost useless but then again i have used my hatchet to pound out some bends. but even when they are broke i still keep the pieces cuz eventually one of them will fail and need to be replaced. Hatchets are alot of work and i have spent half the time and energy with a folding saw on big and little trees, bone is a different story tho. again my opinion
    Failing to plan is essentially planning to fail.

Once more into the fray
    To the last good fight I'll ever know
    Live and die on this day
    Live and die on this day
    from "The Grey"

Comment

I tend to carry both as well. The saw is for saplings firewood and tinder. The hatchet is for breaking down meat.
      "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

I have a hatchet, machete, and Cold Steel fixed blade. I never had a need for a full handle axe. The tomahawks are tempting, but I don't want to spend the money to duplicate what is already working. I would rather get something I need and don't have.
        The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Working...
        X