No announcement yet.

Hachet, Ax, or Saw? For Backpacking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hachet, Ax, or Saw? For Backpacking...

Im running with a large ALICE pack. I aready have a 12 inch folding saw and it fits perfectly in the space between the bag and the back of the two large side pockets. Thats just what im using, but in general, what do you guys carry into the woods?

I like a hatchet.

Comment

Other than a folding saw, I like a machete, hand pruners, fixed blade and Leatherman.

Comment

I carry a folding saw and a tomahawk.
        Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Comment

I have 3 people that will bug out together so we have split up the tools we will take so that no one person has all the tools. We carry a 18" machete, 3 fix blade knives. 3 folding lock blade knives, a hammer, a trail boss ax, 2 multi-tools, and a folding shovel.

Comment

I prefer a folding saw and a hatchet. Actually its a tomahawk made by cold steel.

Comment

I carry a large full tang knife (made from a car leaf spring) almost looks like a machete I use it to dig, chop, split, hack down small trees and also a muti-tool
              Survival is not the art of living it's the art of existing

Comment

Hatchet, machete, and a Colt survival fixed knife and folding shovel.
                Be prepared; Some thing is going to happen

Comment

I've usually gotten more use out of a folding saw and basic Swiss Army Knife than other doo-dads i carry.

Comment

Is it worth having a more expensive machete than a cheap one? Like a $25 Gerber vs. an $8 store brand?

Comment

I have a good quality machete, folding saw, hatchet, 2lb hand sledge, multi tool, and folding knife

Comment

It depends on where I am and what I'm doing but I usually carry a hawk, folding saw, two fixed blades, a multi-tool and a pocket folder.

The hawk is lighter than most hatchets and I can remove the head from the handle or replace the handle easily.

I'm usually hunting so I carry one fixed blade that I try to avoid using unless I'm skinning game...I like it shaving sharp. The other fixed blade is for general use. I could do with only one but I'd spend more time sharpening.

The pocket folder is just plain handy for fine work and the odd chore and the small thin blade is easy to get really sharp.

the multi-tool is more for the pliers and the awl than anything else.

I'm usually hunting and the folding saw gets used most for clearing shooting lanes. It just does a cleaner job than the hawk.

All that said, I can see the value in a bow or buck saw but I can usually get plenty of fire wood without sawing and I'm not usually doing much "building".

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                          Is it worth having a more expensive machete than a cheap one? Like a $25 Gerber vs. an $8 store brand?
                          I wouldnt say so. I had one those high speed low drag Gerber machetes almost immediatly the sheath started coming apart then the handle broke.

Comment

A saw cuts well except for picking up pitch in that sort of wood then bogging down and being hard to clean and to sharpen. A hatchet will sharpen easily, clean easily and cut well and is good for cutting wood, bone and as a hammer. I carry a skinning knife, a hatchet and a Multi tool/Leatherman that has a good pair of pliers. When in the desert I must have tweezers. Not for my uni-brow.
                            "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress."
                            - John Adams

Comment

In my large pack I have a machete, and SOG hatchet on the sides. Inside I have a cheap Remington cross cut folding saw. Got it at walmart for hunting but it works well so I put it in the bag.
                              "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
                              -Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X