Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

50 years of living with BEARS. (Short Essay)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dalewick View Post

I don't think the mosquitos own the FL swamps. Pretty sure they have some kind of a timeshare arrangement with the leeches, deer flies, chiggers, tics and others. LOL! I spent more than one sleepless night in FL swamps while completing jungle training for uncle Sam. Pretty sure the mosquitos used DEET as BBQ sauce.

Dale
    LOL, Uncle Sam put you through it. I do it for "fun". Deet does nothing but make my skin feel greasy. I haven't had any real issues with leeches. I always "batten down the hatches" including blousing my boots tightly. I don't get in the swamp waters naked, that is for sure lol.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofLiberty View Post

LOL, Uncle Sam put you through it. I do it for "fun". Deet does nothing but make my skin feel greasy. I haven't had any real issues with leeches. I always "batten down the hatches" including blousing my boots tightly. I don't get in the swamp waters naked, that is for sure lol.
      I guess I did go through a lot for Uncle Sam. Had a problem with saying "send me". Didn't know when to stop saying it. LOL! Learned to stop when it cost someone else for my decision. Saw a lot. Did a lot. Survived when I shouldn't have. Lost a lot. Seems like another lifetime now.

D
      Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

I have some experience with black bear while living on a farm. two times I had to kill one while trying to save someone else life.

First was when one raided our chicken coop in the middle of the night. My Uncle was first out the door with his shotgun problem was he had N0. 7 shot for birds in it. I came second with a 30-30 Winchester 1894 model I had to take the kill shot because the shotgun only pissed off the bear and he came for my Uncle to kill.

The second was when I was 18 home on leave and we went to pick berry s Did not know for over 1 hour that a bear was only 20-30 feet away from use. Something set the bear off and I had younger kids to protect, so my 30-30 did its job again. Did not have time to really aim, but kept putting rounds into it until my magazine was empty.

Do I hate the bears involved? No, just sad that I had to do, what I did.

Comment

Working...
        X