Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

50 years of living with BEARS. (Short Essay)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dalewick View Post

Cedar, PLEASE do not do this to a grizzly at close distance. It may be the last thing you ever do. Good for black bears.

Dale
    Like I said... LOL.. I went into the house to scrub floors or something. I had 6 black bears and a juvie Griz on my property. No one believed I had a Griz until I showed them pics and they commented on the hump on its back. I had an old neonatal bear den in my back 40, but it had not been used during the time I owned that property.

I have given up entire lakes to a Grizzly before. Grizzlies are never in a good mood I hear. I did not want to try that theory out either way. Now I am back in Oregon, I am not likely to see bears or moose. I was always more wary of moose, which are highly unpredictable.

Cedar

Comment

Bump..........this is and interesting thread (if I must say so, myself). Anyone have thoughts, bear experiences....???
      One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

I have had more than a few encounters with bears over the years. One of the more memorable times involved a huge black bear that tried to get on the porch with me... My cabin was under construction at the time, and there were a number of 2x4s laying around.. I was so enraged at seeing this bear closing in on my little dog that I instinctively went into "mama tiger" mode. I grabbed a piece of lumber and started whacking at everything within reach as I advanced towards the bear screaming curses and bloody murder. The sound of a crazy woman yelling, and beating a 2x4 against the wooden porch posts and against the side of the house was impressive enough to convince the bear to leave.

Question: I have often wondered since that incident if that bear was a female with cubs nearby, would the stand-your-ground method have worked? Or would that provoke an attack, which would lead to me having to shoot to survive? I know that mama bears can be quite unreasonable and usually view almost everything that moves near her cubs as a threat.
        Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 10-21-2018, 01:34 AM.
        Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

IMO, if you had done that while standing between mama and cubs I would have never gotten to know you. Don't do that; next time use a 12 ga or something.

Comment

Yes, you are right as rain about that. Mamas are paranoid and super defensive. If I saw any cubs about, I would have reacted very differently, but since I didn't see any cubs... Well, the crazy just popped out...but I was fully prepared to follow up with a well placed shot if the 'stand my ground' didn't work. (I am never unarmed.)

But I did wonder if there were any cubs around that I didn't see...and if I had mistaken Mama for a male bear...

A few weeks after that, while I was cooking supper, several bears were triggering the motion activated security lights around the outside of my house. My dog was going into full "I'm gonna chew up bears" mode. She was barking at different windows, then the front door. I had enough. I took my gumbo pot and a large spoon and took it to the back door (which is protected by a fenced yard, so not likely to have bears there). I flung open the door, beat on the pot with the spoon and proceeded to roar and yell at the top of my lungs.

They must have thought the Rougarou was after them. The bears left and I didn't have any more bear problems for a couple of years. I suspect that they never came back but new-to-me bears eventually did. My area is a favorite dumping ground for Game & Fish officials to dump their trapped "nuisance" bears because I live in a wilderness area. I told them that I wish they would wait until hunting season to drop them off, otherwise bring them somewhere else because it is getting too crowded here.
            Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 10-23-2018, 02:34 AM.
            Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

We need to have Dalewick offer his expertise on this one, but I thought he posted some time ago the mama Black bears aren't nearly as protective of cubs as mama Grizzlies. If we could find it somewhere in the old posts there is a picture of Black bear cubs playing on a golf course. they are on a green playing with the flagstick. Whoever took the pictures was pretty close. We all wondered if Mama bear thought it would be as cute.

I found the old post. It is Pole Dancer on the 7th Green.
              Last edited by Morgan101; 10-23-2018, 09:17 AM. Reason: Add.
              The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post
                We need to have Dalewick offer his expertise on this one, but I thought he posted some time ago the mama Black bears aren't nearly as protective of cubs as mama Grizzlies. If we could find it somewhere in the old posts there is a picture of Black bear cubs playing on a golf course. they are on a green playing with the flagstick. Whoever took the pictures was pretty close. We all wondered if Mama bear thought it would be as cute.

I found the old post. It is Pole Dancer on the 7th Green.
                Black bears are a large carnivore but they aren't near as protective of there cubs as are Grizzlies. I have trapped and assisted trapping many black bears (Over 100) for biological studies and for animal damage control. This would include hand catching young cubs while mama was in a foot snare or just scarred away from her cubs. While the females would show very aggressive behavior towards the ones with her cubs, I have never been charged by a sow bear protecting her cubs. Black bears are actually fairly easily intimidated by being loud, making yourself look large and acting aggressive towards the bear. This is what you do with black bears so that they run away. Never run away. They will chase you down and kill you or at least maul you. Also, never, ever try that with a grizzly bear. It will kill you.

There is a time when a black bear will attack you. When they are looking at you as prey. If it is hunting and you do not have a weapon you are going to have to fight for your life. Use whatever weapon you have at hand even if it is only sand to throw in it's eyes or a rock to throw at it. A rock the size of a soft ball, kept me from being mauled by a predating bear. I was working and had left my rifle in the jeep. Knowing your being hunted at close range is a very bad feeling. That same bear attacked 2 other people before being put down. Like the boss said,...It's all part of the job.

Dale
                Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

Interesting job. What is your job title? Bait?

Comment

Originally posted by SonofLiberty View Post
                    Interesting job. What is your job title? Bait?
                    My job title was Wildlife Biologist/Government trapper & hunter. Did that for a decade and then worked as a federal Park Ranger for another decade.

The guy that had the job title of "bait" (Biological Technician), actually worked up on Kodiak Island, by himself, living in a tent in the open for 6 months out of the year. His job was counting the brown bears that went past him all day long. I turned that job down. You looking for employment? They will be hiring soon for next summer and I'll bet they have positions open. LOL!

Dale
                    Last edited by dalewick; 10-23-2018, 08:49 PM. Reason: Added content.
                    Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

My job title was Wildlife Biologist/Government trapper & hunter. Did that for a decade and then worked as a federal Park Ranger for another decade.

The guy that had the job title of "bait" (Biological Technician), actually worked up on Kodiak Island, by himself, living in a tent in the open for 6 months out of the year. His job was counting the brown bears that went past him all day long. I turned that job down. You looking for employment? They will be hiring soon for next summer and I'll bet they have positions open. LOL!

Dale
                      LOL, not looking to be bait. Besides, I don't have to go all the way to Alaska if I did want to. I could just go out to the swamps down here with no weapons. There are a lot of creatures down here that think they are still at the top of the food chain. If you don't pay attention, they will show you what is what .

Comment

LOL, not looking to be bait. Besides, I don't have to go all the way to Alaska if I did want to. I could just go out to the swamps down here with no weapons. There are a lot of creatures down here that think they are still at the top of the food chain. If you don't pay attention, they will show you what is what .
                        I'll take bears over gators EVERY DAY. There is something in those reptile eyes that give you no place to hide and very little chance of surviving. I trapped beaver down in NC for 2 years and had a few encounters with large gators eating the beavers out of my traps. Had one very large (about 14 foot) gator that I got way to close to in a small fiberglass kayak. He was maybe 8 feet away and I didn't move as I floated by thinking I was getting ready to be eaten. Only had a 22 pistol with me that day so all I can figure was it wasn't my day to die. Daughter lives in FL now and I still don't like gators.

Dale

Comment

I'll take bears over gators EVERY DAY. There is something in those reptile eyes that give you no place to hide and very little chance of surviving. I trapped beaver down in NC for 2 years and had a few encounters with large gators eating the beavers out of my traps. Had one very large (about 14 foot) gator that I got way to close to in a small fiberglass kayak. He was maybe 8 feet away and I didn't move as I floated by thinking I was getting ready to be eaten. Only had a 22 pistol with me that day so all I can figure was it wasn't my day to die. Daughter lives in FL now and I still don't like gators.

Dale
                          It isn't just the gators. We got Pumas, bears, pythons, anacondas, some crocodiles, and then other animals that can't actually eat you themselves but can turn you into worm food like cobras and other venomous snakes. . OTOH, the swamps are teeming with food.

Comment

It isn't just the gators. We got Pumas, bears, pythons, anacondas, some crocodiles, and then other animals that can't actually eat you themselves but can turn you into worm food like cobras and other venomous snakes. . OTOH, the swamps are teeming with food.
                            Is this from back when the U.S. Fish and Wildlife lost there holding facility in Dade county? Had more than enough cobras and other venomous snakes in Asia and South America without them following me home. Come to think of it, there were way to many Crocs in Asia along with everything else that bites, stings, claws, scratches and bites. LOL! Australia was just as bad as Asia and
                            Central and South America weren't any better.

Travel...It broadens the mind and creates nightmares. LOL!

Yes, I know I said BITES, TWICE. Was thinking about mosquitos and leeches at that moment.

Dale

Comment

Is this from back when the U.S. Fish and Wildlife lost there holding facility in Dade county? Had more than enough cobras and other venomous snakes in Asia and South America without them following me home. Come to think of it, there were way to many Crocs in Asia along with everything else that bites, stings, claws, scratches and bites. LOL! Australia was just as bad as Asia and
                              Central and South America weren't any better.

Travel...It broadens the mind and creates nightmares. LOL!

Yes, I know I said BITES, TWICE. Was thinking about mosquitos and leeches at that moment.

Dale
                              Might be, I don't know for sure. Apparently, there are still cobras down there even today though. I have never seen one outside of a zoo; and I am just as happy for the lack. Pythons are everywhere comparatively speaking, but I have only encountered 1 anaconda that I am aware of. Mosquitoes own the swamps. Burning dog fennel helps, but you really want some good netting while sleeping.

Comment

Might be, I don't know for sure. Apparently, there are still cobras down there even today though. I have never seen one outside of a zoo; and I am just as happy for the lack. Pythons are everywhere comparatively speaking, but I have only encountered 1 anaconda that I am aware of. Mosquitoes own the swamps. Burning dog fennel helps, but you really want some good netting while sleeping.
                                One good cold winter will get rid of most of Florida's exotic reptiles. Unless they can find underground burrows deep enough to prevent freezing even the pythons will die from a good freeze. Can't say that for FL exotic mammals and birds though. It was strange seeing monkey's at Silver Springs this summer. Hadn't seen them since I was over seas.

I don't think the mosquitos own the FL swamps. Pretty sure they have some kind of a timeshare arrangement with the leeches, deer flies, chiggers, tics and others. LOL! I spent more than one sleepless night in FL swamps while completing jungle training for uncle Sam. Pretty sure the mosquitos used DEET as BBQ sauce.

Dale

Comment

Working...
                                X