No announcement yet.

Sleeping Pads or Camp Beds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run the thremorest self inflating pad. weighs just over two pounds but is super comfortable . I'm a big guy. 6'4 240 lbs. it stays inflated all night and i sleep on my side without issue. this is the only route for me now. It has been a god send while i have had to sleep in my truck several nights for work. Then the camping trips have been much more livable.

Comment

Originally posted by kentuckyshiner85 View Post
      I run the thremorest self inflating pad. weighs just over two pounds but is super comfortable . I'm a big guy. 6'4 240 lbs. it stays inflated all night and i sleep on my side without issue. this is the only route for me now. It has been a god send while i have had to sleep in my truck several nights for work. Then the camping trips have been much more livable.

Thank you Kentuckyshiner! I went hunting for the item you spoke of and found a bunch of different models here:

https://www.thermarest.com/mattresses

Which is the one you like so much?

Comment

I misspoke i had to go pull it out to see what model i have. It is not a thermorest. I have the sea to summit comfort plus s.i.size large. I do apologize for any confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by kentuckyshiner85 View Post
          I misspoke i had to go pull it out to see what model i have. It is not a thermorest. I have the sea to summit comfort plus s.i.size large. I do apologize for any confusion.
          Thanks, I will look that up! No need to apologize for the confusion; I am mass of confused impulses anyway, lolol. (j/k but only a little)

Comment

Originally posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post

Thanks, I will look that up! No need to apologize for the confusion; I am mass of confused impulses anyway, lolol. (j/k but only a little)
            I found some on sale on R.E.I. website . look in there used section. or if you're a lil more adventurous try geartrade.com the have used gear for all kinds of outdoor stuff. i have bought several things and have been happy thus far. just be sure to read the descriptions closely .

Comment

I could go broke in a hurry at places like that! But I try to put a lid on mu impulses, lol.

Thanks for the references. Geartrade.com is new to me.

Comment

Originally posted by surviveanything View Post
                I'm looking for some advice.

I've finally decided to treat my back to some more comfort while camping. But I can't decide between a sleeping pad such as the OutdoorsmanLab (attached) or a camp bed such as the Vango Dormir (http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/furniture/...r-campbed.html).

They both look pretty comfortable and also portable but I've never tried either.

Does anyone have any advice as to which will be more comfortable? Thanks in advance!
                consider a hammock. I made one out of 50x10 ft of 2" mesh monofilament netting so it can feed me if need be. I folded it 3x, making 6 ft long, I gathered the ends around a couple of cork fishing floats, using mule-tape as tree straps. I sleep on it sideways if it's not too cold.with the corners guyed out pretty "flat" to 4 stakes.

i truly dislike ground dwelling, with the bugs, snakes, stones, thorns, mud, water snow, hillsides, etc. If You have to lay on the ground, dig up the earth to soften it and dig depressions for your hips and shoulders. You'll be much more comfortable. Put a foot of loose debris under your pad, and that'll help a lot, too.

Comment

25 years ago when I was still in a green uniform, I had no problem with an inflatable air mattress. In my geographical location certain areas have problems with rattlers but it is not a wide spread problem. In a hostile WROL environment I'll give a pass on the hammock. If your hide is bumped at "0 Dark 30" by bad people, I can not see myself thrashing around trying to get out of it and to get a hold of my rifle to defend myself. If I'm mobile (car/SUV/4x4,horse, etc) the camp cot works good. As always LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.

Comment

Originally posted by registror View Post

consider a hammock. I made one out of 50x10 ft of 2" mesh monofilament netting so it can feed me if need be. I folded it 3x, making 6 ft long, I gathered the ends around a couple of cork fishing floats, using mule-tape as tree straps. I sleep on it sideways if it's not too cold.with the corners guyed out pretty "flat" to 4 stakes.

i truly dislike ground dwelling, with the bugs, snakes, stones, thorns, mud, water snow, hillsides, etc.
                    If You have to lay on the ground, dig up the earth to soften it and dig depressions for your hips and shoulders. You'll be much more comfortable. Put a foot of loose debris under your pad, and that'll help a lot, too.
                    Real hammocks are light and easy to pack. Your netting leaves open areas for the blood suckers to feed. A solid bottom with a rain fly and more importantly "bug netting" unless one wants to be fast food for blood suckers.

50'x10' is way too big for fishing where we are located. I'd use a rope rather than cork fishing floats mule-tape or whatever for a hammock.
                    A trotline is a lot easier to pack than 50' x 10" for those heading into the wilderness who fish to eat. Attach one side across the stream and a side to the other.
                    Depending on the creek/stream, pile up rocks in a U or V shape. It has worked well for Indians for generations.

BTW, before anyone is offended because I said Indians instead of Native Americans. Indians are what St. Labre (https://www.stlabre.org) and St. Josephs (https://www.stjo.org) call them selves; yup, Indian Schools. Who am I or anyone to correct them?

Digging up the earth for sleeping; shows anyone who is looking for that someone who is in the AO. There is a distinct difference between survival TV shows and TEOTWAWKI where others may be hunting you

Wherever you get your information from; find another source.

Comment

We are using camping mats. Coleman inflatable with memory foam I think. Its self inflatable. Comfy enough and takes very little space once rolled back in.

Comment

When camping, we preferred foam with gel because it is a lot more comfortable.

Originally posted by Sierra 173 View Post
                        Have you also given any thought to using a hammock? Troops in Viet Nam used them on both sides to keep them elevated above the wet ground. String your hammock between 2 trees and pitch your poncho tent over your hammock and you have a real comfortable place to sleep all night long. If you don't think that it will rain or be wet with fog, you can just pitch a hammock and sleep in that without any fuss at all.

Just something to consider.
                        The VC/NVA used hammocks. Our side didn't having trees to string them from because any explosive round when it hits creates a lot of splinters in addition to the normal shrapnel.

Last edited by Tugaloo; 04-19-2022, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X