No announcement yet.

Sleeping Pads or Camp Beds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have black black snakes and they say they are good for the gardens. I have seen some but don't want to run across one while working in my garden. That one in the picture is another story. We do use masqsuito netting if we are not using a tent but we mostly use tent or camper. We don't really camp like we used to anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
      What would freak me out is the big snake problem...anaconda and pythons are bad enough, but now Florida is dealing with the super-snake hybrid (https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-threat-danger).

It is just a matter of time before my folks back home in deepest, darkest South Louisiana start sending me pictures of Anaconda Sauce Piquant or something...
      The bad thing is that you can't eat those snakes here. Too much mercury. Also, some of the bigger ones can survive 2 shots from a 44 magnum. Ask me how I know lol

Comment

Originally posted by SonofLiberty View Post

The bad thing is that you can't eat those snakes here. Too much mercury. Also, some of the bigger ones can survive 2 shots from a 44 magnum. Ask me how I know lol
        WHOA!!!! Ok, I am thoroughly creeped out. That's saying a LOT, considering some of my fondest childhood daydreams were of this kind of stuff:

via Imgflip Meme Generator

(not an actual picture of me, but wishful thinking, lol)
        Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 10-06-2018, 12:57 AM.
        Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofLiberty View Post

OK, I am asking! Please do tell. Haha. No camp bed thread would be complete without stories about a big snake or three. (I have a few...but NOTHING like the kind that survives two shots from a 44.)

Comment

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here with my mind blown as I watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bet24QooSLM

If you don't jump (at some point in this video), your reflexes just ain't' quick enough, lol
            Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 10-06-2018, 01:01 AM.

Comment

My "sleeping pad" cost $1 (some models are around $5) and can also be used for multiple purposes such as a wind blocker and as a heat reflector. It is a simple reflective window sun shade...the kind sold for vehicles. It is flexible, folds like an accordion and can be rolled into a small lightweight bundle. (I'm barely over five feet tall, so one is enough for me; taller folks may want two for sleeping purposes.)

It is too lightweight to use alone as a sleeping pad, but it works well when laid on top of a few inches of leaves, pine needles or grass to make a cushiony moisture-proof bed to sleep on.

I pack more than one because it is a cheap multipurpose item. It can be made into quick wind block. It also makes a good heat reflector if it is hung in back of you when you or your shelter is in front of a campfire.

Comment

OK, I am asking! Please do tell. Haha. No camp bed thread would be complete without stories about a big snake or three. (I have a few...but NOTHING like the kind that survives two shots from a 44.)
                Florida has a bounty on the snakes as invasive species. So, I went out looking for some several times. Unfortunately, I never saw one when I was looking. Then, once when I was fishing off a bank, one fell on me. Freaked me the hell out. It was like getting hit by a sack of potatoes; or having a 50 pound bag of rice or flour fall on your shoulders. I was stunned for a second, but when I saw it I somehow had my 44 in my hand. I don't even remember drawing it. I know my first shot missed. My second shot hit in mid body and my third further back. Then it was gone into the water. I honestly don't know if it was a failed attack or if it fell. It was after that that I switched to hollow points though. I know I hit it from the blood. I am sure I hit it twice, but I missed at least twice and maybe a third time. Biggest damned snake I ever saw in my life, but for all it's size it seemed lightning quick. I am only slightly ashamed to admit that I had to change clothes afterwards. I waited until I got back to the van though.

Lessons learned? When in the swamp, I no longer fish from under a tree. Shade be damned. I switched to hollow points hoping for more damage next time. Even when I camp in the swamp now, I make sure to buttress my rain fly with actual ridge poles. I would hate to have one land on me while laying in my hammock. I am especially glad I got the Redhawk instead of the Blackhawk since every Blackhawk I have seen is single action.

Comment

WHOA!!!! Ok, I am thoroughly creeped out. That's saying a LOT, considering some of my fondest childhood daydreams were of this kind of stuff:

via Imgflip Meme Generator

(not an actual picture of me, but wishful thinking, lol)
                  Wow! I should put that on my bucket list.

Comment

Aiiyiii! I think that if you hadn't had your gun, you would have been toast. That snake marked you for a meal and judging from other videos I have seen of these snakes vs fast-moving prey (big cats, deer, gators), if you had not injured it and persuaded it to leave, it could have easily and quickly overpowered you.

Back home in Louisiana, I was wary of water moccasins doing just what your snake did, Mocs are famous for dropping out of trees onto folks fishing from the banks and into boats that drift under the tree canopy.

Headshots are drilled into my "muscle memory" when it comes to snakes....but of course, there may come a time like what you experienced, where there is NO time to aim accurately.

Be safe; I don't wanna read about you in the news...

Comment

Working...
                    X