Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping Pads or Camp Beds?

I'm looking for some advice.

I've finally decided to treat my back to some more comfort while camping. But I can't decide between a sleeping pad such as the OutdoorsmanLab (attached) or a camp bed such as the Vango Dormir (http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/furniture/...r-campbed.html).

They both look pretty comfortable and also portable but I've never tried either.

Does anyone have any advice as to which will be more comfortable? Thanks in advance!
    Are you looking for a good sleeping pad to sleep more comfortably on a camping trip? Check out my Test Trek of the OutdoorsmanLab Ultralight Sleeping Pad.

Personally, I like cots but usually put a pad on them. That said, I usually only use them when I'm camping with my wife and family for recreation and stick to just a pad for camping when hunting or on my own. I guess it depends a lot on how much weight your willing to deal with and the situation your camping/sleeping in. For me, a pad is more versatile.

Dale
    Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

I've not used that cell type, I have the self inflating mat style from Slumberjack. However a friend uses one on our annual motorcycle trips and likes it though i know the first year he had some issues with it leaking thru the night. I think he got it replaced under warranty or got a different brand. Personally I've switched to hammock camping when possible. Honestly best nights sleep I've ever had camping. no sticks of rocks in your back, no rolling or sliding down the slight grade you didn't realize you pitched your tent on.

oh and the size and weight of the hammock and rain fly is a fraction of a sleeping pad and tent and is so much less to carry or to strap to a motorcycle...
      Last edited by CountryGuy; 04-13-2018, 09:26 AM. Reason: add on
      I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Yah! I use a hammock also. VERY comfortable and the rocking puts you to sleep, plus, you are off the ground where the cold and bugs are. Hehe. Hammocks don't work if you don't have lots of trees though, although I have put mine up on rocks, a cactus on one side and my Jeep on the other, Etc. lol If its raining, you put up a tarp over it. If it's cold, you sleep in a ground bag in it.

-Buggy

I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

It all depends on:

1. How long you will be at the same spot,

2. What type of camping trip is it? Backpacking, horse back, etc.

3. How much room do you have in your vehicle.

4. How (OLD) you are.

Me I like my creature comforts now. So when we go, if not in the RV then I use a blow up queen size bed!!! Easy to put up and take down. I use to have to use the close foam pads the military uses. But after more then 15 days you start looking for something else to use. I have used self inflating pads but get the ones which are 3" thick that will smooth over and bumps. Make sure you scoop out a small depression for your hips.

Comment

At this point in my life I also opt for the cot with a pad. Surprisingly I've been very comfortable for several nights, sleeping on several layers of pine bows. You have to be careful of the insulation need, and moisture wicking, but it gave me a good night's sleep.....just watch out for the big limbs.

If I'm in a base camp setting and not worrying about weight and such, having an oversized sleeping bag is even more important. Being able to comfortably roll over to either side or add an extra layer of sweats helps tremendously.
            Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Working...
            X