Harmony House trail ready meal review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harmony House trail ready meal review

Tonight I received my box of Harmony House trail ready foods. Tonight, we'll compare with Mountain House. Let's firstly look at size and weight!

You can see, they are pretty tiny and extremely light. Here are the sizes compared to Mountain House. The weight of each Harmony House bag is 2.8 Oz. The weight of Mountain House is 4.08 Oz.

You can see they are significantly smaller and a heck of alot lighter!

The real magic comes in the nutritional value. Mountain house has 2 servings per pack. Harmony House has FOUR servings per pack. They are absolutely more nutritionally dense. I went from 20 servings with five Mountain House meals too 72 SERVINGS in a smaller lighter bag, at least a third less space, with Harmony House. Amazing! That's 18 packages.

They are just as easy as Mountain House to cook, just add hot water or cook for a few minutes. You can also add water and reseal the bag and eat them later on the trail, cold or hot.

They came with 12 flavors of chili or stew.

Tomorrow, I will cook one up and add pictures for you guys!

-Buggy
    Last edited by Buggyout; 09-06-2017, 09:39 PM.
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
    -Arthur C. Clarke

Question for you: What are the values per serving for calories, carbs, and vitamins.

Comment

That's a great question and one of two of my only complaints. It's a little light in the pants when it comes to total calories.

So, each package contains an average of 300 Calories, 12g protein, 60g carbs, 12g Dietary fiber, 8g sugar. For me, it's not enough to comfortably live when I'm hiking, A hiker can burn 4000 calories a day. I still have to supplement with other foods and add dried meat or sausage to the meals. However, for survival purposes, its enough.

My second complaint is that they contain no meat, only textured vegetable protein. If they would add meat, it would significantly up the calories and fat .

I carry these for that extra umph:

Each of these babies contain 420 Calories, 58g Carbs, 10g Fiber, 28g sugars, and 16g protein!!!!!

By the way, here is another size comparison image with an MRE:

-Buggy
      -Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Buggy, sounds good but a bit to much sugar for a diabetic..

Comment

Buggy, I'm curious if once you add water what the final weight would be. I get what you're saying on dry weight and nutrition density but there is also something to be said about volume to give that full feeling. also like you said if the Mtn House has meat and fat it will also make you feel fuller longer.

Interested to hear how they taste. With all those beans u better pack some beano...lol
          I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

thought he got banned...

Comment

So did I. We will see if he can behave himself this time. Trying to get the translator going on computer. Update messed me up and then put me on microsoft edge instead of google and duck duck go.. Just got google back but edge is trying to block a lot of stuff. Couldn't get on pinterest for a couple of days.

Comment

Honestly, I don't care what the moronic Ahole has to say. he comes here whining like a little &#*))# that other places are mean and follow him to give him bad name when in reality they all likely booted his butt for the same crap. I'm done talking about him, reading his delusional crap and done responding to it.

To bad because it would have been nice to have a sane person from other parts of the world, especially Russia, to discuss how they do things that might be different than we do, to learn different skills, points of view and to get a feel for their cultures. instead we get some twit that sounds like he's sniffed way to much glue...

Comment

He's been handled, won't see him again.

-Buggy
                  -Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

And most importantly, how do they taste?
                    Great as a supplemental or in a survival situation to stretch things out, which I think is what your getting at but at 300 calories you would have to eat 6 a day if you were trying to keep your energy up to do serious outdoor activities. I find the 2 servings in the Mt House to be one serving for me on most outings.
                    How does the cost compare to Mt House.

Comment

Originally posted by brewer101;n210594[B
                      ]And most importantly, how do they taste?[/B]
                      Great as a supplemental or in a survival situation to stretch things out, which I think is what your getting at but at 300 calories you would have to eat 6 a day if you were trying to keep your energy up to do serious outdoor activities. I find the 2 servings in the Mt House to be one serving for me on most outings.
                      How does the cost compare to Mt House.
                      Thus sums up my questions. Very interested in trying these but if they taste like cardboard might have a bit of problem with them.

Comment

Working...
                      X