Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My CAMPING CHECK LIST

My CAMPING CHECK LIST

I started to use a check list when my family had started to go camping, and once at site (3 + hours from home) I would find that we had forgotten a critical item. So off to the local store where the price(s) were very high. This got to the point with 3 kids, of happening every time. I split the list up so that each person was responsible for their own clothing and if possible additional items as necessary. It will save you headaches and a lot-lot of money!

Primitive verse Camp ground camping:

The different is night and day. With primitive camping we would go out into the national park area, camping where there were no resources available: No rest room, shower, electrical power, park rangers, no water etc. Out in the middle of no where you carry what you will use. No rules except what you want.

While at a Camp ground, first you need a reservation; always have one in advance or you could be outside looking in - today so many people try to camp out to it gets to the point, you must make appointments months in advance. Each camp ground has it's own rules in effect. Like no visitors, alcohol, guns, etc. You are expected to keep the area clean at all times, no open fires unless authorized, etc. etc. etc. The only good things are showers, water, electrical power, and restrooms. CIVILIZED CAMPING!

Be secure from animal attacks:

I always kept the area clean because it kept the animals away. Always clean up after each meal, put all food in a bear proof canister/bag kept well away from camp 150-200' away. That will keep the bears away. Lay a trip wire with alarms (empty tin cans with stones inside) around the camp 80 feet away, so you will have time to react, to a possible animal attack.

On the funny side:

True Short story: Never give your wife the flash light, while walking to and from the rest rooms at 2 am. I did and when my wife flashed some eyes in the tree line (20' away), She took off running leaving me standing there calling out what happened. So I had to walk the 1/4 mile back to camp, before I found out what had happened. It could of been a coyotes - I do not know to this day. I do know some campers near us were attacked by coyotes that night. Second point always carry your pepper spray, even to the rest room at 2 am!

Camping Check List

SHELTER

Tent
    Tarp, footprint or drop cloth
    Portable awning or dining tarp
    Portable screen room
    Tarps
    Rope 3/8" x 100'
    Para Cord 550 x 100'
    Duct Tape

BEDDING AND LIGHT

Sleeping bag, appropriate for conditions
    Sleeping pad
    Pillow with pillow case
    Flashlight with extra batteries
    Lantern w/ fuel

COOKING AND EATING

Bear proof canister or bear bag
    Ziploc bags
    Plastic tableware
    Small cutting board
    Corkscrew and bottle opener
    Camp stove
    Fuel for stove
    Mess kit
    Camp Cookware
    Can opener
    Metal skewers for hotdogs/marshmallows
    Pot holders
    Paper towels
    Tongs and spatula
    Foil
    Knifes
    Measuring cups/spoons
    5 day ice chests (Coleman)
    Food 3 meals per day 2500 caliories plus (Have everyone give suggestions for meals)
    Coffee, tea, hot chocolate, drink mixes
    Honey, sugar, salt, pepper, spices
    Cooking oil + olive oil
    Water - 2 gallons/extra 5-10 gallons for a shower per person
    Water bottles
    hydration filter kit
    Collapsible fresh water jug

CLEANING ITEMS

Dish washing detergent
    Pot scrubber or steel wool pad
    Dish cloth and sponge
    Trash bags

MEDICAL

General First aid kit
    Inspect repellant
    Suntan lotion
    Sunglasses
    Spare glasses

NAVIGATION AND COMMUNICATIONS

Maps
    Compass
    Pen and Paper
    Watch
    Cellular phone
    GPS receiver

SECURITY

Weapons (As available)
    Pepper spray (Bear size)
    Fixed Blade Knife
    Trip wire

TOOLS

Forest Axe
    Fixed Blade knife
    Hammer
    Folding saw
    Machete

SURVIVAL

Day-pack or fanny pack
    Wildlife, plant, geology, and/or historical guide
    Survival candle
    Pocket knife
    Waterproof matches
    Survival whistle
    Weather radio

CLOTHING

T-shirts
    Shorts
    Jeans and pants
    Socks
    Shoes and boots
    Camp shoes, sandals, flip flops
    water shoes
    Broad rimmed hat or cap
    Bandana
    Sweater or sweatshirt
    Rain gear or poncho
    Underwear
    Bathing suit
    Laundry bag

HYGIENE AND PERSONAL CARE

Toothbrush and Toothpaste
    Disinfectant cleaner (Lysol) and rag
    Deodorant (unscented)
    Razor
    Shaving cream (unscented)
    Sun screen
    Soap (unscented, glycerin)
    Comb and/or brush
    Toilet paper!
    Wash rag
    Towel
    Trash bags

ENTERTAINMENT

Binoculars
    Camera with extra film
    Fishing gear
    Frisbee
    Cards
    Books
    Magazines
    Crossword puzzles
    Board games
    Dice
    Trivia Q & A cards
    Pen and paper
    Baseball and/or softball and glove
    Soccer ball
    Handheld electronic game
    Inner tube or raft

Once the seasons changed to winter, you should camp out, to see just what the difference is like. You know it will be cold, and that you need specific clothing/camping items, that are made just for winter; like PAC boots. One tip is to use your tarps and build a wind break for your tent. It will keep the inside of the tent 20-30 degrees warmer!

IN WINTER

Proper clothing (layer system)
    Winter boots (PAC boots)
    Winter gloves and hats
    Winterized tent w/artic liner
    Hand warmers
    Snow shoes
    Crampons
    Trekking poles
    Avalanche beacon
    Snow shovel
    Emergency heat source
    Large clear container for melting snow (Water source)
    Extra warm drink mixes and 3000 calories per day/4 meals

Rich--This is great advice. One thing I do not have is pepper spray. Where would be a good place to buy it? That is something that I think we all need in this day and age. We have two granddaughters heading off to college this week and I think having pepper spray would be a good item for them to carry. You never know.

Comment

Awesome list! Well I also wrote about survival packing list.

Anyways, I do have a question what do you think is the most essential items to bring when going hiking or camping. I know the list goes on and on. But, being specific about it would be awesome too. And what do you think is much more reliably defense tool whenever you go out? Will you go for a gun or knife?

Just wanted to know this. I always go for knife as one my essentials needs either for the environment or defense use.
      What you include in your survival bags depend on how long you'll be using it. Here are some tips to help you decide what to include in your survival bag.

Comment

Pepper spray - Each state has laws dealing with pepper spray. Some require training and a certificate to have it others need nothing. Before buying check your state laws!

When buying for maximum effect always get BEAR SPRAY why ? Because it has the highest level of chemicals in it.

PS: I'm certified in the state of Florida.
        Last edited by RICHFL; 07-27-2017, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Most important things to have while taking a hike in the woods is the question?

Well a small day pack with items to cover the following general categories:

1. Medical - A quality first aid trauma kit strapped to your pack

2. Water - You should have a 2/3 litter bladder in your small back pack it should last at least one day.

3. Shelter - You can die very fast from losing body heat in temperatures below 70 degrees! A tarp placed to block the weather could save your life. Not to mention make for a better hike.

4. Fire - Always carry more then 1 way to make fire - include the dry tender.

5. Security - Remember you are not at home safe but in the great outdoors. People have been attacked by wild animals including bears, large cats, dogs, wolves, etc.

6. Leave information with someone who will know where you went and when you should be back. They should call 911 if you a have not contacted them within the allotted time.

Comment

pretty good list there richfl..i printed it out,so i can compare against what i already have stocked in my camping gear storage area.and that includes 2 totes..this way i can scratch out what i have..then go from there on what to get and not get.
            be prepared,be worried,be careful..and watch your 6

Comment

genard - sorry for not answering your question. The essentials are as follows: You can fit them in a small butt or day pack.

Medical trauma Kit: Because you can bleed out in less then a minute.

Shelter: You can die in temperatures below 50 degrees. A tarp and emergency blanket will allow you to survive a night.

Water: If you have no water you will die within 72-96 hours. If you are stranded over night you need a minimum of 3 litters of fresh water. A water bladder in a day pack will solve this problem.

Food: Yes you can survive for up to 30 days without food. but after 10 days you will not be able to do anything by lie where you fall. So put some hard candy and trail mix in the pack.

What I always carry on myself in camping or hiking is a fixed blade knife 2 ways to make fire, FRS/GMRS radio. I also let some one know where I'm going and when I expect to make it back.

Comment

jimLE always use checklist if the items exceed 15 items that way you can be sure of what you packed. You should see my list for a bug-out package for a vehicle!!!! It goes to three typed pages and my homestead listing is computer driven because of having 2 years supplies of food.

Comment

yeah..i learned from my dad,when i was a kid..to always use a checklist for camping to whatever..that list of yours will help me learn what i need for camping.and at least some of my camping stuff can be used during some emergencys.like power outages,that last 3 hours or longer....
                  Last edited by jimLE; 09-27-2017, 04:34 PM.
                  be prepared,be worried,be careful..and watch your 6

Comment

Yea that just happened to us 5 days no power because of Hurricane IRMA.

Comment

Working...
                    X