Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Many Primitive Fire Starting Techniques Can You Do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firesteel, bic, zippo, matches. When I used to do a lot of hiking type camping I'd get some strike anywhere matches (really hard to find nowadays BTW), and coat the match head down about 1/3 the way with clear nail polish. Not completely waterproof, if you soak them the water can wick up the wood, but I've never had one fail due to rain and such. Used to be my fire starter of choice. Now that I just car camp, one of those long BBQ lighters is the easiest.

Comment

Originally posted by skeptic View Post
      Firesteel, bic, zippo, matches. When I used to do a lot of hiking type camping I'd get some strike anywhere matches (really hard to find nowadays BTW), and coat the match head down about 1/3 the way with clear nail polish. Not completely waterproof, if you soak them the water can wick up the wood, but I've never had one fail due to rain and such. Used to be my fire starter of choice. Now that I just car camp, one of those long BBQ lighters is the easiest.
      Back when I used to car camp I carried a propane/map gas torch. In the wetest of of times, just stack your fuel, hit it with the torch and you've got a sustainable fire in short order. The camp stove I used ran on the same gas so the only thing extra was the little torch head.

Maybe the story of why I will not car camp might make a thread?

Comment

Rudiger fire-roll, big pump drill.flint and steel,

Comment

You can add the following:

9v battery with extra fine steel wool.
          Eye glass ​​​​​ with strong sunlight.
          using a rock with scraping the back of a knife.

​​​

Comment

Working...
          X