Flint and Steel Fire Making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flint and Steel Fire Making

I love to challenge myself and when it comes to firestarting I use this method all the time. Now if it was an actual emergency that would be different of course. All it takes is a steel, some flint and charred material. Once you have your charred material ignited simply place it in the center of a pre-made birds nest. Here I made my birds nest out of jute and cedar shavings. Hold the nest above your line of sight and down wind of your face. Give it air until it ignites, set it down and add your wood pieces. Here I added birch bark.

Keep in touch with those older skills and making a fire will become a reflex.

I also added a few pictures of a bear and deer from the side of the fire ring just for fun.

Sorry if some of the pictures are out of order.

We have a fire pit out back that we use all the time. The other day I was playing with vaseline and cotton balls and she got mad cause I started the fire without letting her use her flint & steel. Always helps to stay in practice.
    " If you want to live, treat me good " Peter Tosh

Comment

Snow Walker,
      As usual another great thread. Have you had any success with the hand drill? That one kicks my butt every time I try it.
      Stitch
      Last edited by Stitch; 06-06-2011, 02:01 PM.

Comment

There are a few things other than charred cloth that work too! Finding stuff that will catch a "natural" spark is a bit of a passion with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
          Snow Walker,
          As usual another great thread. Have you had any success with the hand drill? That one kicks my butt every time I try it.
          Stitch

Glad you enjoyed it.

Stitch, the bow drill isn't a problem, the flint n steel isn't a problem, but the hand drill kicks my butt as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Curdog View Post
            There are a few things other than charred cloth that work too! Finding stuff that will catch a "natural" spark is a bit of a passion with me.
            I know what you mean! If you haven't already tried this, find some Chaga and give it a try. (True Tinder Fungus) I have a thread on it here somewhere.

Charring natural materials is fun too.

Comment

Originally posted by 10eckid View Post
              We have a fire pit out back that we use all the time. The other day I was playing with vaseline and cotton balls and she got mad cause I started the fire without letting her use her flint & steel. Always helps to stay in practice.
              Don't get her mad at you now! lol

Comment

I've tried a hand drill more than a couple times.....I suppose I'll be freezing or drinking nasty water if I'm left to that.

It did encourage me to buy a flat of bic lighters and to put a lot of paracord on all my gear....:)

Picked these up today...

Live like you'll die tomorrow, learn like you'll live forever.

Comment

http://briarpatchoutdoors.educationf...ry_tinder.html

http://briarpatchoutdoors.educationf...teel_fire.html

Here are a couple of articles I wrote on flint-and-steel. Check em out if you would like.

Hand drill is my favorite fire making method- it takes practice to get AND stay good, but there is something about it that trips my trigger. Use a stiff, woody weed and a very sopft piece of wood for the hearth, and give it a shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Curdog View Post
                    http://briarpatchoutdoors.educationf...ry_tinder.html

http://briarpatchoutdoors.educationf...teel_fire.html

Here are a couple of articles I wrote on flint-and-steel. Check em out if you would like.

Hand drill is my favorite fire making method- it takes practice to get AND stay good, but there is something about it that trips my trigger. Use a stiff, woody weed and a very sopft piece of wood for the hearth, and give it a shot!
                    Thank You, I will give it a try and do a thread if I'm successful.

Comment

I discovered this last year with the bow drill, but bet it would work with the hand drill with a woody weed like your talking about! I'll let you know or give it a try yourself.

Corncobs

Comment

Hey now- that is a good trick! I wonder if a cob would work for the drill too?

Comment

To be honest, I don't see why not, but haven't tried it.

Comment

I made some char cloth out out of an old cotton luggage carry strap last night. The same material Snow Walker recommended. Wow! I tried it with a scout firesteel. It really catches sparks better than anything I have tried before.

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                              I made some char cloth out out of an old cotton luggage carry strap last night. The same material Snow Walker recommended. Wow! I tried it with a scout firesteel. It really catches sparks better than anything I have tried before.
                              I'm glad you like it. PM me when you get a chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X