Char Cloth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monkeytim1992 View Post
    One thing that i collect is dryer lint. not the best but works real well, plus it's cheap and easy
    Welcome to the forum MonkeyTim. At your leisure, slip on over to the intro section and tell us a bit about yourself.

O.W.
    Things are seldom what they seem.

Comment

Not so much for the initial start of the fire but for getting it going quickly and strongly I like to keep a few rolled up pieces rolled up and dipped in melted wax pieces of corrugated cardboard. Roll them up to were they are abought the same diameter and half the lentgh of a roll of quarters. Tie a string around them and dip them in melted wax. Make good fire starters.

Comment

Originally posted by RatLife View Post
        Not so much for the initial start of the fire but for getting it going quickly and strongly I like to keep a few rolled up pieces rolled up and dipped in melted wax pieces of corrugated cardboard. Roll them up to were they are abought the same diameter and half the lentgh of a roll of quarters. Tie a string around them and dip them in melted wax. Make good fire starters.
        I roll the cardboard into a cat food can and fill it with wax. It burns hot and for a long time. Set a cotton ball on top and you can get it started with a ferro rod. Mix some fine steel wool with the cotton and you can start it with flint and steel.

Comment

Excellent idea with the can. Plus it would help keep the wax from getting on other stuff in storage. Thanks.

Comment

Does anyone still make char cloth and if not this post has a lot of different ways of doing this. I have used dryer lint and vaseline which works fairly well but some of these other ideas look like better options. I like the one with the belt.

Comment

I like "0000" size steel wool, because it works with a match or a spark or with a battery.

Here is a "TIP" when in a paint department like at Home Depot, grab a big hand full of FREE paint stirring sticks. Cut them into one inch lengths, and put in plastic bag. Instant dry kindling.

I have a large sawmill and mountains of sawdust. For starting fire in the cabin woodstove, I start with two handfuls of dry sawdust and I keep a oiler can with used engine oil, a few good squirts of used oil on the sawdust, add a match.

I save all my boxes that my AMAZON shipments come in, and in the summer when the mountain of sawdust is dry, I fill the boxes with sawdust. Yes, I now have a mountain of boxes full on sawdust.
              One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                Does anyone still make char cloth and if not this post has a lot of different ways of doing this. I have used dryer lint and vaseline which works fairly well but some of these other ideas look like better options. I like the one with the belt.
                Yep, it is one of the reasons I keep an Altoids tin with me as part of my EDC. I can take the stuff out and use it to make char cloth. It works very well for the purpose. Everything I edc has multiple purposes, even the containers.

Comment

I have a few of the Altoids tins. I have made sewing tins to keep in car as well as a small first aid kit to keep with me for hubby. He's on blood thinners so a small scratch looks like he really cut himself bad. I have also made a couple of fishing tins using those. They have so many uses. Didn't think about using one for char cloth. I have some made up using dryer lint that I keep in a baggie.

Comment

Working...
                  X