Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by randyt View Post
    ahh yes, a hammock and a person equal a bear taco lol
    Adding a 44 to the equation changes things especially if you have noisemakers around your perimeter.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofLiberty View Post

I am sure guns helped lol
      Yes indeed, but even a well-armed Sourdough, as well as others, have had some close encounters with bears in camp. I think there may be a thread around here illustrating how quickly things can turn hairy.

Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

Originally posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
        Sourdough! Help us, please! Aside from keeping odoriferous stuff far away from your tent, how did you manage to survive almost 50 years in the Alaskan wilderness without becoming a bear taco, burrito, or pinata?
        https://survivalforum.survivalmagazi...rs-short-essay
        One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

That's the thread I was thinking of. Thank you.

Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

How does that old saying go: Lo, though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of Death I shall fear no evil....

Maybe that has something to do with it.
            The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by randyt View Post
              ahh yes, a hammock and a person equal a bear taco lol
              Well keep some pepper spray in your pocket so you are at least a well seasoned and spicy taco for its dining enjoyment
              I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Originally posted by tmttactical View Post

So if the hammock makes you a taco, does being wrapped in the tent makes you a burger? LOL
                Thinking it makes it more like a jelly filled donut...
                I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

We were talking about bears the other day to a Guest. Other than some military time I have spent most of my life in bear country. The area we live in now is loaded with bear, both blacks and grizzly. In all that time, I have seen a griz maul a camper who was asleep in his tent. That was by accident, the bear was knocking tents down looking for food. Other than that one time I do not even know anyone who has been attacked by a bear. Oh a few charges here and there by a mom protecting cubs but never attacked. I live in the midst of millions of acres of bush, much of it pristine or near so. The most bears I have seen at once was 21 in 21km with never any aggressive behaviour. maybe it’s a function of area, but a little bear awareness goes a long way. Keep your food out of the tent and out of reach. Give Mr bear the right of way when travelling. Give Mrs bear and cubs whatever she wants and keep your eyes and ears open.

i carry bear spray, bear bangers and an air horn, have never needed them.i carry a firearm in season (rules are restrictive in Canada) never had to use it on a bear.

we have a mom black with twin cubs who visits our back yard, the dog chases them away.
                  Last edited by TheInkeeper; 07-12-2019, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X