Hammock vs Tent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammock vs Tent?

So I am a huge fan of hammock camping. What are your thoughts on hammock camping vs tent? Also if you do hammock camp, do you do it during the winter? if so what do you do to stay warm? Just curious and looking for more knowledge. thanks!

NO Trees in much of Alaska........
    One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

Hey Squid, I used to do a lot of tent camping and only in the last 5 years or so did I stumble across the joys of hammock camping. As Sourdough mentions you do need trees, poles, boulders or a stout vehicles to tie up to. What kind of terrain are you in most often?

It took me part of the first night to get used to it (check out some YouTube vids on tips for sleeping in one) but once I did I was out like a light. Woke up next morning with no sore back, no pain from a rock or root poking you in the back etc... I also like how small the hammock and tarp pack up which is super awesome when motorcycle camping.
      I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Most of my tour in Viet Nam, except when I was back in the rear, I slept in hammocks when I was in a bunker at the forward locations. The hammocks kept us elevated above possible water levels that might flood into our forward bunkers. We used engineer stakes to tie off our hammocks in the bunkers. When we ran patrol missions and recon missions we simply slept on the ground with a poncho liner over us.

Too many people think that they "need" a tent or a tarp over them. About 80% of the time you really can survive a night in the field just by finding a place to sleep on the ground that fits you. A hammock is a nice item to have in place if you plan to be in an area for like 3 days or so. They also work well to keep you off of cold or moist ground. Hammocks have their place in a rucksack because they are so practical and useful.

Not only can you sleep in a hammock, you can also use them to store food high up in a tree to keep animals from getting to it. In an emergency situation, you can use a hammock as a sling to haul or move an injured person. You can use them to help tote or carry wood to your camp location or other supplies when needed. If you get a hammock with a fine weave to it or add additional weave to many hammocks with a wider weave, you can also use them as a fishing net. So having a hammock is really a smart thing to keep around.

Comment

Something like this will give me mosquito/snake protection of a tent and keep the rain off:

https://www.amazon.com/Camping-Mosqu.../dp/B01KGOVEI6
          Click image for larger version

Name:	713-pmzeL%2BL._SL1496_.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	218564
          Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

This is what most military people mean by having a hammock...
            Click image for larger version

Name:	tooge hammock.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	218569This is a Tooge Hammock. You can get them from off the internet. They roll up into a ball and don't take up a whole lot of room in your rucksack.

Comment

I have one of those, and love it! But, the bugs and snakes make terrible bedpartners, lol.

Comment

Kind of the polar opposite from Sourdough, but when I was doing that kind of camping I was in the desert. Trees were unpredictable, and cactus unreliable. Still same result. No Trees.
                The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Here is the one I have... rated to 400lbs Snugpak Jungle Hammock

which I couple with their All weather shelter

Now I don't trust those skinny cords they give so I use 2 small ratchet straps and 2 carabiners to connect from the tree to the hammock
                  I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

ahh yes, a hammock and a person equal a bear taco lol

Comment

Originally posted by randyt View Post
                      ahh yes, a hammock and a person equal a bear taco lol
                      So if the hammock makes you a taco, does being wrapped in the tent makes you a burger? LOL
                      It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war!

Comment

Naw... it makes you a bear burrito!!

Comment

maybe a person and a hammock make a bear pinata...

Comment

Sourdough! Help us, please! Aside from keeping odoriferous stuff far away from your tent, how did you manage to survive almost 50 years in the Alaskan wilderness without becoming a bear taco, burrito, or pinata?

Comment

Originally posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
                              Sourdough! Help us, please! Aside from keeping odoriferous stuff far away from your tent, how did you manage to survive almost 50 years in the Alaskan wilderness without becoming a bear taco, burrito, or pinata?

I am sure guns helped lol

Comment

Working...
                              X