No announcement yet.

Walking Sticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my favorite wooden walking sticks is perfect for winter treks on ice. It has a rather heavy bottom which I carved into a sharp serrated wedge type point. It grips the ice well and probably could also repel or do damage to an aggressive animal (wild dog, or whatever).
    Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

Originally posted by Snyper708 View Post

Be careful with any "spear points" since they could be construed as an illegal concealed weapon in many states, much like a "sword cane".
      Good point (pun not intended, lol). I like how the spear point fastens with a wing nut for easy removal and installation if the environment is not favorable for it.

Comment

Originally posted by lalakai View Post
        sorry about the ugly link.......the site i wanted to "link" won't let me go directly to the article.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/33297636/...Survival-Staff

but this should do it.
        This is an interesting article! Thanks for the link. I use the cane for 3-4 months, for me there is a lot of new, but not long ago I got used to walking with it correctly.

Comment

I didn't know until months after my snakebitten leg healed, that I was using my cane all wrong...as in the wrongiest of wrong...which resulted in a hellacious backache, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
            I didn't know until months after my snakebitten leg healed, that I was using my cane all wrong...as in the wrongiest of wrong...which resulted in a hellacious backache, lol.
            How were you using it?

Comment

Originally posted by SonofLiberty View Post

How were you using it?
              Using it on the wrong side of the body, wrong cane length, and probably a number of other wrongs that I have forgotten about over the past decade since my snakebite.

Comment

I have both folding trekking poles and a variety of wooden sticks. My favourite is a 6’ piece of 2 inch hickory. I’ve wrapped about 30 feet of paracord for the handle and tied into that is a pouch with small multi tool in it. There is a button compass on the top. The bottom has a rubber foot, that can be exchanged with an ice cleat for winter

Comment

here's mine made from a maple sapling, stained a bit with walnut husk dye. I think little John would even like it.

Comment

I generally use an Ice-Axe for a walking stick / Weapon....Image result for ice axe
                    One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

Well, to one who was born and raised in the land of banana trees, this is a brand new idea to me. Because ice and snow is common to where I live now, I just had to find out more.

http://www.mountaingearblog.com/621/...lking-ice-axe/

Comment

Originally posted by Sourdough View Post
                        I generally use an Ice-Axe for a walking stick / Weapon....Image result for ice axe
                        That works great as a weapon but it would be too short for a walking stick for me. I guess mine is more of a staff than a stick. That way I can run with Robin Hood and the boys in the forest

Comment

Working...
                        X