Walking Sticks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking Sticks

I know we have other threads on walking sticks but I wasn't able to find them, so I'll just start a new one.

Walking sticks are a favorite thing of mine and I'm always experimenting. I came across an interesting link with some good info that others might find useful. Enjoy.
    https://www.scribd.com/doc/33297636/A-Long-Term-Survival-Guide-Make-a-Survival-Staff . Cut and paste....sorry
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Due to my health and occasionally needing a walking stick or cane a few years ago now, I decided to make my own. I have always loved the look and multipurpose use of Irish Shillelagh. Since we don't have Blackthorn here in the states I had to figure out what we had that would work. Not that hard to do actually, it's Hawthorne. It makes beautiful Shillelagh type walking sticks. I cut mine in the winter and let it dry/cure for a full year before cutting/sanding and turning it into a useful stick. Even after a year part of the bark had retained a beautiful green color and the wood was very light but also very strong. After getting the stick how I wanted it I finished it off with 2 coats of spar varnish. When it was finished I decided to test it out as a backup weapon and used a new beef bone (front leg) to see how it would work. It smashed the leg bone and barely left a mar on the finish. I impressed myself. I don't currently have any pictures of this stick but if anyone wants me to I'll post some latter.

Dale
    Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

I couldn't get the link to work. Are you talking about a walking stick, or trekking poles? I have a very good walking stick, which I find to be very helpful. I have never used trekking poles, but from what I have read they are very helpful when you are backpacking. Either way it is something good to have.
      The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

sorry about the ugly link.......the site i wanted to "link" won't let me go directly to the article.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/33297636/...Survival-Staff

but this should do it.
        Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Very interesting link. It gives me a lot of ideas or modifications that I could incorporate into my walking stick. Thanks for sharing.
          The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

You can get some metal walking sticks that come apart and have various tools inside. Including saws, spear points, knife, even a hammer head. Look to E-Bay

Comment

the walking stick is mostly a psychological aid, but hey, any help is good! A pair of $80 (amazon) carbon fiber trekking poles, the telescoping ones, are the real deal tho. It gives you one to throw at a dog, and one to hang on to. They really do help prevent injuries as you move fast on rough terrain, and can serve to hold up a tarp shelter. Here is the MAN about hiking

https://www.youtube.com/user/askurka

Comment

Working...
              X