No announcement yet.

Who was a Boy Scout or is an Eagle Scout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couintryguy, yep I have several Doc buddies and when Obama got his "plan" going several of them just hung it up and retired. You are right about getting treatment if you are in a bad way. Just last week we (Vol FD) ran a call where pedestrian was hit by a car. He was the worst I ever saw that was still alive and I understand he is still in danger of losing a foot and a leg.

MRI, I think I had like four in six weeks for my spinal injury. Only problem is some of them were designed for folks that weight 180 lbs or less and I won't fit in those haha.

Yep lots of folks come to states from Canada, get treated and go home.

Even the Shah of Iran came here back in 70s before he was given the boot.

UPDATE: 7/21/18 Removed one leg below knee. Guy is a teacher at local tech school last 18 years. He is still being kept sedated mostly. Still in ICU with no visitors. They called for a blood drive for him a couple days ago.
    Last edited by Hummer; 07-21-2018, 01:45 AM. Reason: Condition update
    Distinguished Rifleman High Power , Distinguished Rifleman Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), Palma Teams Member (2), Dewar Teams Member (2), Member 4 Man National Championship Smallbore AnySight Team, Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground , Eagle Scout, AC4HT, NRA Benefactor Member, Firefighter I, Shriner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Hummer View Post
      Grumpy Gremlin, never met a English BS. .
      The Boy Scouts were started by Lord Baden Powell who was an Englishman during I think The Boer War.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpygremlin View Post

The Boy Scouts were started by Lord Baden Powell who was an Englishman during I think The Boer War.
        AND.........Major FREDRICK RUSSELL BURNHAM, D.S.O. (who was American)

Who's book, "SCOUTING on Two CONTINENTS" is a great read, and has served as a foundation of my Prepping/Survival planning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Russell_Burnham

It was also during this war that two scouts of very different backgrounds, Burnham and Baden-Powell, would first meet and discuss ideas for training youth that would eventually become the plan for the program and the code of honor for the Boy Scouts.
        Last edited by Sourdough; 07-22-2018, 10:03 AM.
        One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

Also Daniel C. Beard was a part of the origins in the US when he merged his organization, Son's of Daniel Boone with the fledgling BSA. You might know of one of Beard's books, The American Boy's Handy Book.His sister formed the Camp Fire Girls. He was also an artist and did illustrations for Mark Twain

Here is a link in case anyone wants to know more.
          I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

I must confess to 'None Of The Above'...

The local Scout group's mid-week meetings clashed with my implacable Science-stream home-work, weekends were precious 'family time', and we camped 'en famille'...

Okay, our big 'Marachel' frame tent almost required 'civil engineering' to erect but, working as a team, we could pitch it rapidly. Its steel skeleton plus many guys and tie-downs routinely weathered Atlantic gales that flattened most of our neighbours...

( One one occasion, first out in the morning to top up the 3 gall water carrier, I reported that our Welsh coastal site was no longer full. There was only us, a jacked-up 'trailer tent', and a tiny 'bivvy' tent, the latter now stuck in the boundary hedge. For the startled couple inside, the earth really had moved... )

We also had a nice ridge-tent in which we camped overland from UK to the Aegean and back several times...

Comment

Something about that era, around the end of the 1800s and into the 1900s (but before WW1-seems like Teddy Roosevelt's hardy, outdoorsy way of living, and a bunch of his pals who pitched in one way or another to start the national parks and also the Boone and Crockett Club, and Baden Powell and Beard, and if you want to keep going, maybe you could add writers like Jack London and Ernest Hemmingway, were all on the same wavelength as far as getting out into natural areas. Hunting or fishing would have been part of it, of course. I feel like that's a value where people could agree and reach across some of the divides that cut through society. (I say that as the token liberal on the site, btw.)

I remember a teacher who was a BIG-time hunter/outdoors-loving guy (he taught an 'Environmental Education' course that had a lot of prepping content: fire arms safety, wilderness survival skills, etc. State standards and testing killed those kinds of courses [grumble grumble gripe gripe &%#$*!@ State Standards!) and he pointed out that a lot of the funding for Michigan's DNR that managed wildlife and did other eco-friendly things came from hunting license fees.

Don't mean to get all political, but kind of interesting to roll around the idea of a common interest in the environment between eco-types and hunters/fishers/etc.

Also to think about what if we had another president--and/or a whole set of folks in leadership of govt./society--like Teddy Roosevelt and his buddies, who made camping and such a big part of their image and way of life. Maybe it can't happen for security reasons, due to mixing high level politicians and guns getting a thumbs down from the Secret Service folks. Seems like that's solveable, though.
              Been there, done that. Then been there again several times, because apparently I never learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Sourdough View Post

AND.........Major FREDRICK RUSSELL BURNHAM, D.S.O. (who was American)

Who's book, "SCOUTING on Two CONTINENTS" is a great read, and has served as a foundation of my Prepping/Survival planning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Russell_Burnham

It was also during this war that two scouts of very different backgrounds, Burnham and Baden-Powell, would first meet and discuss ideas for training youth that would eventually become the plan for the program and the code of honor for the Boy Scouts.
                The book, "A Splendid Savage: The Restless Life of Frederick Russell Burnham" by Steve Kemper, published in 2016 is on my wish list. Have you read it?
                Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

Originally posted by grizzlyetteadams View Post

the book, "a splendid savage: The restless life of frederick russell burnham" by steve kemper, published in 2016 is on my wish list. Have you read it?
                  yes...........
                  One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

Did you like it? Learn anything useful?

I see there are three books about the man, and you mentioned one of them. What are the most important things you learned from it?

Comment

Originally posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
                      Did you like it? Learn anything useful?

I see there are three books about the man, and you mentioned one of them. What are the most important things you learned from it?
                      Well..........you more then anyone, know my feelings about surviving SHTF, and prepping for SHTF. I'll guess that 80% of my thinking came from his theories. Much of which he learned from the American Indian Scouts, and also from those who scouted for the Calvary, fighting and killing American Indians. He learned from the scouts of both sides of the American Indian Wars.

Comment

I've not heard of these books so I will check it out and read it.. Sounds like it will be a really good read.

Comment

Originally posted by Sourdough View Post

Well..........you more then anyone, know my feelings about surviving SHTF, and prepping for SHTF. I'll guess that 80% of my thinking came from his theories. Much of which he learned from the American Indian Scouts, and also from those who scouted for the Calvary, fighting and killing American Indians. He learned from the scouts of both sides of the American Indian Wars.
                          In that case, I will bump the books up a few notches on my reading list!

Comment

Working...
                          X