Who was a Boy Scout or is an Eagle Scout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was a Boy Scout or is an Eagle Scout

I was thinking last evening about how I've always been preparedness minded and much due to the way we were raised in a country life but I also went thru Scouts from a cub to earning my Eagle so it was always drilled into us to Be Prepared along with the Scout Oath and Laws which I personally think are a pretty decent set of guidelines on how people should live their lives to produce and contribute to a healthy society.

I was wondering how many other 'ol Scouts, Scout Leaders or Eagles are here still living by the motto "Be Prepared". I wonder if one was able to poll preppers, how many would have had experience with the BSA, GSA or similar outdoor leadership type group as a kid. On the flip to that, it would also be interesting to see how many Eagles, if polled would note being involved in a preparedness lifestyle. I'd want to know their age groups as well. With the liberalization/ political correctness overhaul of the Scouts over the last 10-15 yrs I'm sure less of the "newer" Scouts subscribe to some of the same hard truths those before them learned.

Out of curiosity I looked up what Wikipedia (not that I generally give 2 shi%@ what they say) about Be Prepared and found this:

In English, this motto is most commonly Be Prepared. In the third part of Scouting for BoysRobert Baden-Powell explains the meaning of the phrase:

The Scout Motto is: BE PREPARED which means you are always in a state of readiness in mind and body to do your DUTY.
    • Be Prepared in Mind by having disciplined yourself to be obedient to every order, and also by having thought out beforehand any accident or situation that might occur, so that you know the right thing to do at the right moment, and are willing to do it.
    • Be Prepared in Body by making yourself strong and active and able to do the right thing at the right moment, and do it.[1

To me those 2 descriptions seem to be a good definition of what I think most Preppers strive to attain.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

I'm a Eagle Scout. Came up in a troop run by WW II vets. Still in contact with the 3 that are still alive.
    You don't have to be perfect, but you better be smart!!!

Comment

Once upon a time I was a scout missed eagle by two badges. Went to three 10 jamborees in Wisconsin.

Comment

Very cool, when I was coming up our leaders were mainly Vietnam vets. though had a few older gents and some guys grandpas that helped who were WW2 and Korea. Unfortunately I've fallen out of contact with most all of them, several have passed away and some moved there families away years ago and lost track, though a few I'm still in contact occasionally on facebook with their sons.

I'm betting there are more out there that haven't sounded off yet.

Comment

I personally never made it past Weblos. My family relocated across country at that time. I was the new kid, and gravitated toward sports. That took up the lion's share of my spare time, and interest, so I never went back to scouting.

That being said I certainly agree with the values. Being prepared in Mind and Body is a much better lesson than immediate gratification which seems to rule young people's values today.
          The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Was a First Class and OOA before moving on to other things back in the 60's.

Comment

I was a Boy Scout 1st class. Good days. Went to Canada and hikes the Bruce Trail, went o Jamboree and I can't remember what they called the one in the winter (Northern Michigan). We built snow shelters to sleep in, learned to build different types of shelters, snare small game, start fire and purify water. Those are some of my fondest memories.

Comment

I did a stint--not sure what badges I'd earned (Citiznship?) I don't think my troops was very motivated in that way, and I didn't catch on to pursuing such on my own. But I soaked up a lot in terms of values--scout oath and so on. Went to a summer camp, went on a troop canoe trip, winter camping trip.

When I think about it, there are a lot of memories that come back from what seems like a peripheral part of my youth.

I've wished my boys would have that experience but it wasn't their thing.

I OFTEN think of the 'be prepared' aspect of scouting in terms of prepping, so the original post in this thread hits the nail on the head, as far as I'm concerned.

As long as I'm on this thread--can anyone confirm a story I read somewhere about Baden-Powel's mom and how she raised him? The story I'm remembering is that she was a widow at a fairly young age but with a passel of kids, and she's say to them something like, "I'm going to the Lake Country [in Western England/Northern Wales?], meet me there in 3 days." The kids, aged 7 or so to upper teens, would then journey cross country, sleeping out, to rendez-vous with her.

I like the idea of that, even if it's not something you could do nowadays. If that is a true story, I like the spirit of the woman who would push her kids that way. Somehow the account got across the idea that she was caring and didn't do this in a harsh way, just wasn't afraid to challenge them.
                Been there, done that. Then been there again several times, because apparently I never learn.

Comment

Schneb;

Can't confirm on the mother story. Might be interesting to read up on.

I was thinking he came from a fairly well to do family and had spent much of his youth in boarding schools largely ignored by his parents. Not sure I do recall there being both a biogrphy and autobiography. To be honest I used to know a lot more about the scouting story, history and many of the skills when I'd been active but haven't held a troop in anyway in like 15 years. My oldest son is still 2 to 3 years away from even being able to become a tiger cub. So God willing my health stays good and they show interest, I hope to be involved for years to come with them in Scouts. That is assuming it doesn't continue to kowtow to the progressive, unmoral segments of our society.

Comment

We had access to land out in the country not far from where we lived and used it as a home base for many camping trips. They mostly occurred in the winter months for some reason and I can remember shivering the night away in one of those cheap sleeping bags that only had cotton batting for insulation. We had heavy canvas wall tents with no floors, and were still taught how to ditch around them to prevent rain water from creeping inside.

Two summers in a row we took mule-drawn covered wagons from our city to summer scout camp. It took us about 2 1/2 days to get there and we camped along the way for two nights. It was quite the adventure.

Comment

That's awesome Jez. Well not the shivering at night part...

That is cool about the mule train travel though.

Comment

I made it as far as 1st Class but that was it. guy I work with is an Eagle Scout and his son is getting close to the same achievement. We had a very good pack but when the leader changed and a new guy came in, the direction changed and moral dropped. Very few of the scouts were there after a year. But it was fun and I still remember many of the teaching moments.
                        Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

unfortunately that can be a huge game changer. I saw it when I was a kid. Have a super scoutmaster the kids and parents love and who seems to walk in the steps of Baden Powell himself, then get someone else in who has good intentions but their personality or approach turns off the kids and parents. Once that happens it can kill a troop, sometimes permanently.

Comment

Cubs, Boys, Explorers, Eagle, Bhd-OA, taught target archery two summers at Camp Palmetto (now Camp Bob Hardin) Saluda, NC. Post advisers WWII vets, one was 2nd wave Bougainville, 1st Wave on Guam, DI at PI in between, the other made it to E7 in Signal Corps in European Theater. He was a power lineman so we learned stuff nobody else did. I stayed on as Assoc Advisor after I made Eagle. All our guys families were on hard times. Only two of us had complete uniforms.

Night before I left for the Army Small Cal Lab I was visited by the former advisor who told me the Improvement Assoc (community post was located in) asked him for name of an advisor to restart the post and he recommended me. Obviously I could not take it leaving the state the next morning.

The advisors took us to Parris Island RD (confidence course, Rifle Range, Pistol Range etc) , Charleston Navy Yard, 50 Miler award via canoes, every Civil Defense Course they had (monitoring, appointed shelter manager etc) they could find and I managed to get into a Navy ABC Course at Navy Reserve. We did only a couple camporees, rest of the time we were on our own on the rivers.

We managed to go camping one weekend a month year round. Both advisors a gone over 25 years. They were great.

Helped out with local troop in PA took them cold weather camping. Kids loved it, mommas went ape, could not believe it when they came out to camp site and no one wanted to go home where it was warm.
                            Last edited by Hummer; 09-18-2018, 07:43 AM.
                            Distinguished Rifleman High Power , Distinguished Rifleman Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), Palma Teams Member (2), Dewar Teams Member (2), Member 4 Man National Championship Smallbore AnySight Team, Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground , Eagle Scout, AC4HT, NRA Benefactor Member, Firefighter I, Shriner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

What part of PA were u in Hummer?

Comment

Working...
                              X