Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy in Ventura County

As per the title.
    I'm new to prepping and am not connected with a group or with anyone else.
    If there is anyone in the area who could use an extra set of hands in exchange for imparting some knowledge, I'm here to help.

David

Welcome aboare from Newport News VA
    NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO

Comment

Welcome from NC.
      "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
      -Ben Franklin

Comment

Hello, and welcome from WV.

Dale

Comment

Hello from Clarksville, Tennessee

Stick around a while, you will find what you are looking for.

Comment

Hey David, I know I welcomed you on the other thread, but I will say it again. Glad you found us. As you start to have questions try out the search feature upper right. You can put in keywords and it will pull up threads for you to check out.
            "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Hi David welcome form south Alabama.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	CHEF1.gif
Views:	417
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	186842Welcome to the forums from TN...
                "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato

That Government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves.

— Thomas Jefferson

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.

— Abraham Lincoln

I was so embarrassed today. I got caught peeing in the pool. When the lifeguard yelled at me I jumped and damn near fell in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Welcome Dave from the Northwoods of Wisconsin.

By the way, I was just out in Thousand Oaks over Thanksgiving. The off-road hiking was far more difficult than I expected. The underbrush is impassible, unlike here in Wisconsin.
                  If it was man made it can be man re-made.

Comment

I CALL THIS: Beginning Lesson #0: BASIC GROUP SETUP AND PREPPERS INFORMATION

I did this to help people to get a basic understanding of why, what, where, when, why,
                    and how do you start to become a prepper.

First all welcome to the forum. I will let you read my letter for most new comers looking for help to see the light at the end of a very long tunnel. Take my advice to heart it will save you a lot of time and money...

You have to sit down and make some major decisions before you begin:

1. What type(s) of disasters do you want to prepare for?

- There is two major categories of disasters and two different time frames Involved:

a. Natural where you cannot do much to prevent it, You can (Bug-Out) get out of the way of Weather including tornadoes and hurricanes. You can (SIP) Stay In Place for the earthquakes, wild fires, etc.

b. Man-Made where again you can Bug-Out or SIP for war/terror attacks, Nuclear/Chemical Spill, financial/economic collapses, etc.

c. Time Frames: It can include either type disaster; if you feel it may take years to recover to a few days/weeks. Each time frame has it's supply build up to survive needs.

2. How many people in your group/How many days, months, years to prepare for?

- You need to figure out how much food, water and other supplies will be need to support the group.

a. Food:

- you need a minimum of 3000 calories per adult per day (SIP) and above 5000 while Bugging-Out or working at your BOL, Retreat, Homestead..

- A Good formula for total calories is No. of people X No. of days X 3000/5000 + 10 Percent = Your No.

b. Water:

- Water weighs-in at 8 pounds per gallon so is hard to carry far. If Bugging Out you need portable water filters in your Bug-Out bags. Filter raw water as you move on.

- If SIP you need a minimum of 2 sources of fresh water. Do not count county/city water as a source. You can use private wells, lakes, rivers, etc.

- F.E.M.A. now states you need 3-5 gallons of water each day for survival use. Before Katerina it was 1.

3. What skills will you need to make up your Group?

- Within most groups you can break down it into several sections:

Leader(s) (Headquarters Section) are the final decisions makers concerning the group as a whole.

Medical Section is concerned with all health and sanitation issues. Must have qualified medical personnel plus water/sewer treatment tech.

Site Maintenance Section
                    is responsible for cooking, food/water storage, farming, animal control, etc. Largest group with many special job/skills requirements.

Scroungers Section is responsible for finding things needed to support the group. They are the hunters and fishing experts. Used by Security for RECON of local area. Younger ex-military types for their ability to hunt and provide outside security.

Security Section is responsible for internal and external security of the group, including firearms, hand-to-hand, and weapons maintenance training for the group. Senior ex law/military type to oversee inside law enforcement and outside security.

4. How many people to have in your group?

The number is up to you to decide. How many people from your immediate and extended family, your friends, etc. Remember the more people involved, the greater the amount of food, water, and other supplies needed.

************************************************** ******************************

This my groups' setup: it involves 5 states, 30 adults, (?) on number of kids, and we have purchased a farm in MN as our ultimate hide out. We have been working together since 1995.

I have started posting Beginning Lessons to break down major areas into manageable levels including links, research tips, and lists.

1-25 Lessons include: food/food storage, water, Basic planning guide, Homemade medical kit, 72 hour Bug-Out Bag, Retreat Security, Weapons/Ammo Mix, homesteading, basic farming, group make up, Skills needed to survive SHTF.

Future Lessons will include: Types of Firearms,Security while bugging out, Security at your Retreat, Beginning requirements for establishing a farm, homesteading, medical list, tool list, etc.

You can set up your group any way you want to. This was our way.

Comment

WELCOME!!!!

I actually lived in Thousand Oaks for awhile back when there was wilderness connecting it and the Valley! Ha ha!

Yes....

I am old.

- Buggy
                      I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

Welcome from W. Tenn
                        You don't have to be perfect, but you better be smart!!!

Comment

Hello from northern Kalifornia.

Will
                          CITIZEN by BIRTH
                          AMERICAN by CHOICE
                          NRA PATRON MEMBER by NECESSITY

Comment

Welcome from Missouri. Good to have you with us.
                            The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Working...
                            X