"WE".......Need to start thinking about our options.....for plan "B"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
    Speaking of "Depends," the crappy thing is... many blogs, forums, and websites are infected without the owners or visitors knowledge and those protected by less than absolute robust systems end up carrying a mess of junk on their own computers without knowing that their sensitive info is being quietly mined...

Frickin' wild west it is... Trouble is, we only have software to fight 'em off with instead of traditional irons, lol.
    You "WERE" one of my favorite people......
    Last edited by Sourdough; 01-26-2019, 10:51 PM.
    One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

Ha. I KNOW that I'm still yer huckleberry...thru thick and thin.

It's not impossible to have a safe blog/website/forum. But, it helps to know some of the pitfalls and how to avoid them.

No matter what, keep your antivirus up to date...always.

Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

Forgot to mention this in case you didn't already know it: for safety's sake, some folks never direct-click onto a link in a blog or forum. It is best to type it out in the URL bar in another tab or window.

(I wonder if 'copy and pasting' a link is safe, or is it best to just type it out?)
        Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 01-26-2019, 11:51 PM.

Comment

go to proboards and set it up. you can do lots there like make it closed off so only members see posts,threads etc. cant see from outside who is there. all you can see is name and banner and a link to hit to join.set it to be approved by owner only that way its invitation only.

Comment

Originally posted by elkhound View Post
            go to proboards and set it up. you can do lots there like make it closed off so only members see posts,threads etc. cant see from outside who is there. all you can see is name and banner and a link to hit to join.set it to be approved by owner only that way its invitation only.
            The problem with that set-up is you won't get a lot of new members if you have to register to read first, or you get tons of members who register and never post at all because they don't like what they see.

Many of the "owner approved" sites turn in to echo chambers with one or two people starting 75% of the new threads.

Forums are a dying phenomenon for the most part.

Comment

I believe that the thousands of dollars someone mentioned at the beginning is not true. We can buy an untaken domain (i.e. prepforum.org is free) for a few dollars and then look for some virtual server hosting strong enough to host forum like this for 15 USD per month.
              About security, I do not know about forum software, but if you set up i.e. wordpress on a managed server with some good provider, and your passwords are reasonable, I believe we can run without any bigger problem related to hacking.
              Is anyone looking into this already, or I should? Whatever you will decide to do guys, I am in, and surely will cover part of the costs.

Comment

I like the idea of carrying the forum forward even in a new location. But please use the word prepper in the title.

Using "survival" means you train and have items to survive today from a major disaster with no thought of tomorrow.

Preppers take the long view weeks, months and years. That is so that some type of civilization will continue.

Preppers know that the "Dark Night" is coming; but they want it to be of a short duration, then a new civilization will be built on top of the old.

Comment

Originally posted by Yenix View Post
                  I believe that the thousands of dollars someone mentioned at the beginning is not true. We can buy an untaken domain (i.e. prepforum.org is free) for a few dollars and then look for some virtual server hosting strong enough to host forum like this for 15 USD per month.
                  About security, I do not know about forum software, but if you set up i.e. wordpress on a managed server with some good provider, and your passwords are reasonable, I believe we can run without any bigger problem related to hacking.
                  Is anyone looking into this already, or I should? Whatever you will decide to do guys, I am in, and surely will cover part of the costs.

When it becomes obvious that no one will buy the site, it may be possible to approach whoever is doing the selling with a plea for the owner to donate the site to the members. He might go for it, rather than let it all go down the tubes...

A few words in response to the bolded part in the quote above...

In spite of precautions in place, this very site was hacked (how many times?) I suspect that the owner got tired of the $$$ and time it cost him to keep it hack-free, and finally decided to cut his losses and put it up for sale.

Unfortunately, protecting the site's password is not a guarantee you will have smooth sailing. It helps, but site security is more involved than one would think.

Comment

The figures I quoted are based on the site owning their servers, and not running any ads at all.
                    You're talking about renting space on someone else's servers, which is cheaper but you have no control over the advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by RICHFL View Post
                      I like the idea of carrying the forum forward even in a new location. But please use the word prepper in the title.

Using "survival" means you train and have items to survive today from a major disaster with no thought of tomorrow.

Preppers take the long view weeks, months and years. That is so that some type of civilization will continue.

Preppers know that the "Dark Night" is coming; but they want it to be of a short duration, then a new civilization will be built on top of the old.
                      "Survive" doesn't have an expiration date. (People do)
                      You have to "prep" to survive.
                      It's all the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Snyper708 View Post

The figures I quoted are based on the site owning their servers, and not running any ads at all.
                        You're talking about renting space on someone else's servers, which is cheaper but you have no control over the advertising.
                        This is not true. Having your own servers for website does not make any sense today, unless you are a company which is using the servers for other purposes too. If you rent a virutal or even physical server, you have absolute control what you install/use there, including adverising. Noone can put some ads i.e. to your hosted company website. It is a nonsense. And forum like this, with few hundreds connections/day can run on a very basic resources.

Comment

This is not true. Having your own servers for website does not make any sense today, unless you are a company which is using the servers for other purposes too. If you rent a virutal or even physical server, you have absolute control what you install/use there, including adverising. Noone can put some ads i.e. to your hosted company website. It is a nonsense. And forum like this, with few hundreds connections/day can run on a very basic resources.
                          Regardless of whether or not you agree, it's still true.

As I said, it's based on owning the servers, not renting under someone else's terms.
                          It's based on no ads of any sort.

Whether or not it "makes sense" is a matter of opinion.

Based on the traffic here, this site could easily run on some free hosting service. The site I'm talking about has over 20 years of archives, and typically has over 400 people on at any one time.

This site struggles to handle it's 41 active members versus the 1500+ active members on the other site.

Here: Topics: 11,914 Posts: 133,883 Members: 9,358 Active Members: 41

There: Threads 525,009 Posts 7,180,141 Members 5,412 Active Members 1,518

You get what you pay for. :)

Comment

Sorry, my last post sounded more offensive than I wished. I meant it is not true that if you rent a space somewhere, you have no control over advertising.

I agree that it is a matter of opinion, what makes sense, but as we are now searching for a plan B for this forum, buying servers is irrelevant for us, as no one will make a living out of this little forum and I believe it can be done without some crazy investment.

Comment

Working...
                            X