"WE".......Need to start thinking about our options.....for plan "B"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "WE".......Need to start thinking about our options.....for plan "B"

We have a lot of new members here, and the forum is actually running smoothly. This is really very strange......some of you may not know that we have no Known "Administrator" and we have no active "Moderators", no law enforcement or police........period.

This is a great forum, especially for serious prepping.

Here is the problem, "Diesel" the owner of the forum paid the hosting company a full year in advance, and then vanished. Yes......that is hard to believe.

So we have someplace between roughly 30 to 60 days to figure out a plan "B".

Hopefully someone can post links to the threads that explain what we know.......which ain't much.

Somebody like "Grizzlyettaadams" needs to run point on this. If anyone knows "Jack'squat" about how to solve this problem in the next 30 or 40 days......we are all ears.

Does anyone know roughly what it would cost to pay the hosting fee for 6 months or a year......and if that is even possible for a non-owner to do......???

It will sure SUCK if all the content on this forum evaporates sometime in March.

Ideas.......Help urgently appreciated.
    One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

This is the first I have heard anything about it. Only the owner can do anything. It is his/her property.

Comment

Originally posted by RICHFL View Post
      This is the first I have heard anything about it. Only the owner can do anything. It is his/her property.
      OK.......We still need do something.

Do you have an idea what it costs to start a new forum.........???
      One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

It is worse than you think.
        survivalmagazine.org is available
        $10,000.00 +$20.99/yr
        The URL is available for purchase now. The owner has put it up for sale for $10k

Comment

I like the site but not 10K worth.
          It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war!

Comment

Originally posted by Sourdough View Post
            We have a lot of new members here, and the forum is actually running smoothly. This is really very strange......some of you may not know that we have no Known "Administrator" and we have no active "Moderators", no law enforcement or police........period.

This is a great forum, especially for serious prepping.

Here is the problem, "Diesel" the owner of the forum paid the hosting company a full year in advance, and then vanished. Yes......that is hard to believe.

So we have someplace between roughly 30 to 60 days to figure out a plan "B".

Hopefully someone can post links to the threads that explain what we know.......which ain't much.

Somebody like "Grizzlyettaadams" needs to run point on this. If anyone knows "Jack'squat" about how to solve this problem in the next 30 or 40 days......we are all ears.

Does anyone know roughly what it would cost to pay the hosting fee for 6 months or a year......and if that is even possible for a non-owner to do......???

It will sure SUCK if all the content on this forum evaporates sometime in March.

Ideas.......Help urgently appreciated.

Uh oh...I dunno about running point for anything other than maybe make a few suggestions. All I did was do some digging a few months back and found out that the forum's contract with vBulletin folks may expire around March. I really hope someone comes along and buys it, but don't think it will happen because this is not the jumping forum it used to be before the SHTF happened in here a while back. It is very, very slow now.

I have come to treasure many of the members of this place and will positively grieve if I lost touch with you.

This might be a good time to share which other forums that we like, so that if this ship sinks, the castaway survivors can find each other again.

I am also a member of https://www.survivalistboards.com/ and go by the same name as I do here. It is a busy board with tons of subforums.

TMTactical told me of a couple others that I will investigate and maybe join: https://mysurvivalforum.com/ and ...uh oh! I lost the link to the other one! TMT! help! What was it?

I will start a thread to share our favorite forums, and hopefully, we can continue to meet up somewhere in cyberspace if this forum ever shuts down.

Here it is: https://survivalforum.survivalmagazi...your-favorites

Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 01-22-2019, 05:03 AM.
            Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofLiberty View Post
              It is worse than you think.

The URL is available for purchase now. The owner has put it up for sale for $10k
              OK...........so does anyone think we can contact him through wherever he has it listed for sale.

What does it cost to start a forum......????

What are the options other then a forum, but achieve the same or near same goal......???

Comment

The last moderator we had was Buggyout, but he hasn't posted in quite a while. He got caught in the first round of California wildfires, and lost everything. He would have been our last contact with Diesel.

Myakka was another moderator but he hasn't posted since the site came back.

Applejack/ZAGran: You were pretty close with NRA Amy. did she keep in touch with Myakka? Myakka seemed to be in touch with Diesel. Maybe we can network our way into some contact.

Dalewick: Did you ever have contact with Diesel. I thought at one time they had asked you to be a Moderator.

Finding an alternative site sounds like a good idea. I have made many friends, and would like to keep in touch, and continue to learn.
                The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

It’s too bad about this site. Being a newbie here, I was hopeful this could have been a new home for me. Is there a thread that discusses what caused this site to go belly up?

Comment

To the best of my knowledge the site was constantly getting hacked. We had a lot of trouble accessing the site. When you tried to log in you just got an error message that the site wasn't available. A lot of people/members just gave up. I don't know any of the technical details, but it was just kind of dumb luck that many of us came back. It was completely down for several months.

If you look back at some of the older posts you might find some that say "Difficulty Accessing Site" or " Is Anybody Else Having Problems? " I want to say it was around 2016 when it went down, but I really don't remember.
                    Last edited by Morgan101; 01-22-2019, 08:29 AM.
                    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

We could start another site. It isn't that expensive. OTOH, I was part of a new board where we all contributed to the upkeep of the site but the "owner" got a hair up his ass and started banning people without refunding their fees.

Comment

Ask and you shall receive, Alternate boards. The last one has a tremendous numbers of posts but as GA, stated, it can get trollish from time to time. My first two listed have good members and very well informed members, me being maybe the least informed but certainly well opinionated.

http://www.doomsdayprepperforums.com/index.php

https://mysurvivalforum.com

https://www.survivalistboards.com
                        It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war!

Comment

This free forum software was mentioned on another forum's thread: https://www.phpbb.com/

I hope that if anyone here starts another board, that serious consideration is given to making it a private membership so that Google does not pick up our posts. This will reduce the risk of being hacked. Most forums suffer hacking at one time or another...and can be a costly headache to recover from.

Having a private board will mean that we will need to drum up our own membership. Most folks don't want to participate in a sloooow forum. I have invited over a dozen quality people to here, and a lot of them decided not to participate because of the low volume of posts/topics here.

On the plus side, although the active membership here is low in number, I have learned a lot from quality, which in this case, does not equate to quantity!

Comment

If we do a private board, we should try to migrate as much of the good data as possible from here to there.

Here is a free forum host and free software. The downside is ads. We can pay to remove the ads, and we can buy our own domain name.
                            https://proboards.com/free-forum-features

This one is highly recommended on Quora
                            https://www.forumotion.com/
                            Last edited by SonofLiberty; 01-23-2019, 04:38 PM.

Comment

If we do a private board, we should try to migrate as much of the good data as possible from here to there.

[/url]

That may be illegal. However, a summary of topics and a copy and paste of one's own posts would probably be OK, but I have not studied the TOS (Terms Of Service) for this site.

Here is a free forum host and free software. The downside is ads. We can pay to remove the ads, and we can buy our own domain name.
                              https://proboards.com/free-forum-features

This one is highly recommended on Quora
                              https://www.forumotion.com/
                              I use Adblock Plus and it blocks out the obnoxious (and malware-laden) ads that are on many sites. Unfortunately some sites simply won't operate for those who use an adblocker.
                              Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 01-23-2019, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X