No announcement yet.

SHTF Vehicle to have ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say that some vehicles will survive a EMP or other electrical attack but most vehicles will not go where it may be best to hide/live. Staying in shape and having some endurance for hiking and walking will be quite helpful for most us.
    How Do You Like Me Now

Comment

I would have to say that the only way to survive when the SHTF is to surround yourself with force multiplier's. Anything that you can use the give you an advantage over the other guy. Nightvision, comms, intrusion detection, etc. Vehicles fall into that category as well. I do not live at my retreat year round. My retreat is two cabins in the mountains about 2 miles from the country road, but it is still 2 hours by car in a perfect world from my home. My perfect vehicle is going to have to be an ATV. I am building a small section of my basement into a quasi-faraday box. Albeit....a large box. In this box I plan to park my ATV and on top of the box there is another shelf that houses my electronic devices that need EMP protections. To me EMP is the worst of the scenario's. It is a quick hitter, that will give those that are mobile a higher % chance of survival. With an ATV you can go anywhere, (trust me I know). I have outfitted my ATV with a muffler system that reduces the sound by 80%. I may not be able to sneak up on anyone but the noise reduction is very noticable. My retreat is about 100 miles away from my home, so the plan is for us to bugout on the ATV using an ATV trailer to haul supplies. I have done a lot of planning for the bugout situation using Google earth to find avenues of least resistance, and spent this past january hiking most of the trail up there, utilizing fire-breaks most of the way up there. I have found bivouac sites and places to hold up during the day, and plan to make most of the jouney during the night using my GEN3 NVG's. The price was steep, but a crucial part of the plan. The plan is sound, and the trip would present so many dangers, but so would staying so close to a large metro area. So my vote is for an ATV. I would say a big UTV would haul a lot more stuff, but there are places a small 350cc atv can go that those big UTV cant.

Comment

That is a very good idea there tarheelsman. when i mentioned vehicle i ment trucks or cars but yes atv's can and will go just about any where you direct them to go. I was thinking on getting a dirt bike for that exact thing.
        How Do You Like Me Now

Comment

Lots of good thoughts here although I think EMP is probably the lesser of the worries, a magneto ignition is still a cool idea, very reliable doesnt rely on an electrical system (battery, altenator ect) my airplane uses that system dual independent ignition( 2 mags and 2 sparkpulgs per cylinder)
          All that said a diesel engine has no ignition system at all (fires on compression just keep the fuel and air coming and she'll run forever). Even stabilized gasoline (keep several gallons of stabil on hand) wont last more than 2 years but diesel fuel properly stabilized will last a decade. I dont currently have a diesel vehicle but have had 2 Mercedes diesels both with 5 cylinder inline engines and the things are damn near bullet proof and will run forever (my last one I gave to a relative, it has over 500k miles and still running, Ive seen one with over 1 million miles!) while you may think Im talking about a very expensive vehicle here(well maybe a new one) you can pick up a 240D, 300D or 300D turbo ,( the ones made around 1980 have mechanical fuel injection, no electronics!) in good serviceable condition for 5 or 6 grand. ( the last one I had was an 1980 model 300D turbo bought it in 1995 for $7500 with 125k miles) we' talking a full size 4 door sedan with a trunk big enough to sleep in, gets better than 20mpg on the highway and dependable as hell. Look around while you're driving, you'll see lots of them going down the road. And hey you dont even have to wait for tsthtf, you gotta have something to drive, might as well drive a Benz!
          I also want a diesel generator at some point, still because the fuel will keep longer and you can make your own from cooking oil (biodiesel) when the supplies run out!
          Morgun1cam

Comment

That bio-diesel is a good idea did any one catch the show on the history channel called apocolyps man?? he made some from a fast food grease bin... he heated it up and took out all the junk and food particles then when it cooled he mixed with lye and heet then put it in the truck and drove off. it was really cool
            How Do You Like Me Now

Comment

If small hard to access places are where you need to go then an ATV is a good choice, however you will have the same problem with the ignition systems, better have a backup to travel long distances. And then plan to pack it in on foot if you get somewhere the vehicle cannot go. This is exactly why the Military uses diesel engines with mechanical fuel systems.
              Last edited by MooseCreek; 01-28-2010, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by paintball View Post
                That bio-diesel is a good idea did any one catch the show on the history channel called apocolyps man?? he made some from a fast food grease bin... he heated it up and took out all the junk and food particles then when it cooled he mixed with lye and heet then put it in the truck and drove off. it was really cool
                I did see that. i love that show he does do some cool stuff. It frustrates when he just happens to find every thing he needs all right there. that never happens. when i need something it is never to be found when in a situation. but the idea you can whip up some diesel is fantastic and worth doing some research on. or if someone knows how to do it and would be willing to shed some light on the subject? Using as few chems as possible is best. even if it will get you 100 miles before it will destroy the vehicle who really cares im sure there will be other options or if you just need to get the hell out of dodge asap. Then all you need to do is brush up on your hot wiring skills and you will be set.

Comment

shtf vehicle

if i had the extra cash right now i'd buy this.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hammer502 View Post
                    if i had the extra cash right now i'd buy this.
                    How much is he asking ? I'd like to have that old piece myself.
                    Every Day , Is A Bonus.

Comment

rsanders: this van is listed on tennesseeoffroad.com the gentleman is asking 800.00 and it is in alabama

Comment

i know what you mean denvernative321 I also heard about some places was making this bio-deisal and good ol uncle sam taxed the hell out of them for it and put a big hurting on them. SOOO almost like everything else you would just have to do it and not say nothing to anyone but you and your own
                        How Do You Like Me Now

Comment

Originally posted by hammer502 View Post
                          rsanders: this van is listed on tennesseeoffroad.com the gentleman is asking 800.00 and it is in alabama
                          Thanks for the info, I checked it out and unfortunately is Chevrolet all the way ( sitting on an early GM frame / running gear), and I'm a true Blue Oval (Ford) guy. And in the close up pics it's pretty rough body wise.
                          Every Day , Is A Bonus.

Comment

Working...
                          X