• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diesel
    Administrator

• May 2008

Not a jeep fan BUT..

this is pretty damn sweet!

WHAT IF THE AMERICA YOU KNEW, WAS ABOUT TO CHANGE?

The best thing you can do to support the site is pass it on to your friends and fav sites like other forums, facebook, twitter etc. Let people know about us! :)
  • nitehawg
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2008

I don't care where they put the batteries, tanks, etc., that thing has still got to be somewhat tipsy. I wonder what it's "offroadability" is like?

I've seen some of their other vehicles in various 4x4 mags. Normally built on 1 ton pick up truck chasis'. They seem to build long range expedition type vehicles, totally self contained. The mags all reported high quality work and IMO high quality prices.

Regarding the thread on mil vehicles, might be fun to try something like this on a 2 1/2 or 5 ton with a box on the back. Hmmmmm.... maybe?
    ENJOY AND STAY SAFE

TEOTWAWKI happens to all of us everyday. Always be prepared!

P.A.W.T. = PROUD AMERICAN WHITE TRASH

Comment

• Diesel
      Administrator

• May 2008

They already have them in theory, the there's what they call a "work van" which is a deuce 1/2 with a back on it, and it looks like they are wired for electricity too. Look them up, they are neat and usully very cheap

Originally posted by nitehawg View Post
      I don't care where they put the batteries, tanks, etc., that thing has still got to be somewhat tipsy. I wonder what it's "offroadability" is like?

I've seen some of their other vehicles in various 4x4 mags. Normally built on 1 ton pick up truck chasis'. They seem to build long range expedition type vehicles, totally self contained. The mags all reported high quality work and IMO high quality prices.

Regarding the thread on mil vehicles, might be fun to try something like this on a 2 1/2 or 5 ton with a box on the back. Hmmmmm.... maybe?
      WHAT IF THE AMERICA YOU KNEW, WAS ABOUT TO CHANGE?

The best thing you can do to support the site is pass it on to your friends and fav sites like other forums, facebook, twitter etc. Let people know about us! :)

Comment

• kenno
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2008

Cheaper rigs

Besides the 2.5-5 ton shop rigs the US army also used a drop-in coms unit for the 3/4 ton PU truck/Humvee that was nearly idencticle. All are available as surplus for far less than the price posted for this Wrangler POS (IMHO).
        The road to serfdom is paved with free electric golf carts.

Comment

• das
          • Jul 2008

Kenno,
          You are correct and I have seen the shop van units for sale on surplus sites. Unfortunately I have yet to find surplus Humvee's for under $50k though.

For my pocket book they might as well be a million dollars. My needs are not the needs of the military. Yes it would be lovely to be able to throw money at a vehicle to help bug out in a crises but it isn't going to happen without winning the lottery.

I also agree that the new Jeep is awful, heavy and totally over powered for its towing capability. The gas mileage was an unbelievable 18 MPG highway when I went to look at them last month. Still no diesel models and the off-road ready version (Rubicon) was over $30k though they had PLENTY of them on the lot, lol.

For my money I want a modern equivalent of the Kubelvagon from WWII. Light, air cooled engine with tons of storage and excellent gas mileage. I wouldn't mind all wheel drive but the sacrifice in weight makes it a tough choice. Disk brakes would be nice also but no EFI, Turbocharger, catalytic Convertor, or other electronic systems please.

Comment

• kenno
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2008

Though they are a hard to find exoctic over here the Pinzgauer or the mini version, the Halflinger would fill your requirements. There are alot of vidieos on You-Tube.
            The road to serfdom is paved with free electric golf carts.

Comment

• das
              • Jul 2008

I've seen a Pinz and they are great but LARGE and expensive to restore. Obtaining parts would be a nightmare. The Halfinger is dune buggy sized if the pictures are accurate (I have not seen one.)

You see the Pinz for sale fairly often for around $10-15,000 so the price isn't bad. The ground clearance is terrific and I like the open top design.

Comment

Working...
              X