Anyone Own other X Mil Vehicles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by das View Post
    I would like something a little smaller. If budget wasn't an issue :D I would opt for a totally rebuilt 1960s era M715 Kaiser Jeep. Add in disk brakes, 12 volt electricals, multi-fuel diesel engine and possibly power steering. Keep the front PTO winch and add a rear electrical winch. Combine it to a half-ton trailer with a dana 30 axle with same wheels/tires as the truck for redundancy.
    [ATTACH]9[/ATTACH]

Then you have a heavy duty suspension 4x4 with a 30 gallon fuel tank (add extra Wade Jerry Cans in trailer) that can be fought from without the restriction of a cab. The windshield, canvas top and windows all fold down.

Further it was built with mounts for real pioneering style use including THREE spare wheel/tire mounts, two jerry can mounts, a mount for a heavy duty jack and a pick and shovel. Best of all it was designed to accept a weapons hardpoint for a .50 cal or M60 pintle mount. :D
    [ATTACH]8[/ATTACH]

All this can be had for $20k....or about half the price of a military HUMVEE but just as capable if not heavier duty.
    There is a guy near me who has one fixed up just like that, but he put some kind of splitter on the transmission that would allow it to hit highway speeds.. I am not sure what he called it, but he can use as a DD if needed. He is selling it for around 7K and what I am being told it is worth around 13 or 14K. He is asking less becasue he had to repo it from a guy who already had about 7k into it... at least that is what I am being told. My co-worker is going to take photos of it this weekend and send them to me..
    I am not interested in buying it, as I have a 1980 J-20 that is beast enought for me..

Comment

Yes, I have two M35A2 6x6s and two M1009 CUCVs along with two 1.5 ton M105A1 trailers and 5 M101 3/4 ton trailers and
      a pile of other stuff I won on GL auctions.

I love my Deuces. They are great, parts are plentiful and they are easy to work on. I used one of mine as a daily driver when
      I first got it. Goes very well offroad here in Kansas. Pulled a lot of vehicles out with it too. I had zero issues with registering it
      and insurance is only $100 a year. Registration here in Kansas was $70 (paid once) and is good for as long as I own the vehicle.

If you want a Deuce then find a nice one up for auction and buy it. My first one had 12,000 miles on it and cost $1,800. Runs great.
      Last edited by Gunwritr; 04-12-2011, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunwritr View Post
        Yes, I have two M35A2 6x6s and two M1009 CUCVs along with two 1.5 ton M105A1 trailers and 5 M101 3/4 ton trailers and
        a pile of other stuff I won on GL auctions.

I love my Deuces. They are great, parts are plentiful and they are easy to work on. I used one of mine as a daily driver when
        I first got it. Goes very well offroad here in Kansas. Pulled a lot of vehicles out with it too. I had zero issues with registering it
        and insurance is only $100 a year. Registration here in Kansas was $70 (paid once) and is good for as long as I own the vehicle.

If you want a Deuce then find a nice one up for auction and buy it. My first one had 12,000 miles on it and cost $1,800. Runs great.
        Dueces can be great, along with plenty of other vehicles, but make sure you do your research. I've owned a few of them, and various other additional MV's, both domestic and foreign. People get fired up about them, and then get in over their heads way too often. Take your time, and don't get too excited about stuff.

I've got a rule, personally. If I want a particular vehicle, I take three years to find it - year one and two is research, year three is finding the right one. Take your time.

Comment

Ultimate BOV

This is my "Wishlist" BOV!Click image for larger version

Name:	BOV.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	184506
          Gone Bananas

Comment

does anyone know of or have plans for a camper conversion of an M-100 ammo"jeep" trailer? I have had one given to me and want to convert it as soon as I can to my family's bug out trailer to keep stocked and and ready to go in the garage at all times. "out of sight out of mind" from the neighbors, eternal borrowers etc... all help is welcome. This will enable me to pull it to our mountain land behind my jeep.
            I've seen one of the later military M416 trailers rigged with the back end set up as a tailgate and used as a mobile medical aid station, pulled behind an M170 frontline ambulance [stretched M38A1 Jeep] No plans available, so far as I know [maybe a mention in an old 1960s-1970s issue of the Army PS maintenance comic magazine] but the idea's simple enough, and the materials used were just plywood and fiberglass- the thing could have been restored to GI with nothing more than a battalion welder's effort.

Of course the M100 with its solid sides makes a fairly nice ice chest/cooler with a tarp laid inside to enhance the waterproofing. I think in your position, I might consider a *second story* extension above the top of the original trailer top ribs. Which would also double as a rain cover for the load beneath. Build it so it can *pop-out* like the sides of some travel trailers, but out the taillights end instead of sideways, arrange an entrance and short boarding ladder at the tongue/drawbar end, and you'd be right in business.

Comment

Originally posted by mountainman28713 View Post
              does anyone know of or have plans for a camper conversion of an M-100 ammo"jeep" trailer? I have had one given to me and want to convert it as soon as I can to my family's bug out trailer to keep stocked and and ready to go in the garage at all times. "out of sight out of mind" from the neighbors, eternal borrowers etc... all help is welcome. This will enable me to pull it to our mountain land behind my jeep.
              I'm looking for the photos, but one M416 that I saw was just about what you are asking about. He had a folding deck on the top of the trailer. It folded out to one side and gave him a level platform for a free-standing tent. When he needed to get into the trailer he could lift the platform from the side opposite the hinge to get into the storage below. The platform was made with a steel frame and sheet steel skin. The part of the platform that was out away from the trailer had supports on the corners to hold it up. Find a creative welder and he can fabricate almost anything.

On the BOV's, I think the deuce and a half is a great truck. They're tough, go-anywhere, drink anything kind of machines. But they are big and noisy. If I'm bugging out I want small and quiet. So I'm working on my BOV currently.

i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss149/m38mike/DSC00225web.jpg

They won't let me post the image yet until I get a few more posts on my record, so you'll just have to copy this url to your browser to go see it.

It's an all electric jeep. This is my current commuter car. It costs me about $5 a week for electricity to drive it versus the $75 a week it would cost me to drive my diesel pickup. I'm building a trailer with a 10kW generator and a gasifier to keep it charged up. The gasifier is designed to use just about any wood, debris, dead branches, dried grass, scrap lumber, old furniture that you can find to fuel it. So with this I'm not dependant on any motor fuel being available. I'm copying a design from a guy in GA who has a 3/4 ton truck that he runs on wood scraps. He estimates he can drive about 3,000 miles on a cord of wood. I just want to be able to get around in the woods to haul fuel wood back to camp, or haul in any big game we get. And if times get really bad, I can trade electric power for whatever. Like run a well pump to get fresh water. Or power up radios to reach out to others. Or the best idea yet, run a blender on a hot July day and make a big batch of margharitas!:cool:
              Planning to be here through it all.............

Comment

before I left for deployment their was a guy up the road selling a unimog does any one have and info on them
                NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO

Comment

I have 2 things to add to this thread:

1. The military will soon have to replace the Hummer. That means over 50,000 used hummers will come to market. I think it was decided to remove them some time in 2013/2014. Keep an eye out for this.

2. E-Bay has several military vehicles for sale most of the time 6x6 trucks. If you want armor go to UK they have a few business to sell M-55/62/72 Russian tanks and most British armor vehicles,

reference: http://www.armyjeeps.net/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Iron mike View Post
                    before I left for deployment their was a guy up the road selling a unimog does any one have and info on them
                    What do you need to know about them? I used to import them, had a newsletter running about them, worked, owned, and had plenty of fun with them....

Comment

Originally posted by RICHFL View Post
                      I have 2 things to add to this thread:

1. The military will soon have to replace the Hummer. That means over 50,000 used hummers will come to market. I think it was decided to remove them some time in 2013/2014. Keep an eye out for this.

2. E-Bay has several military vehicles for sale most of the time 6x6 trucks. If you want armor go to UK they have a few business to sell M-55/62/72 Russian tanks and most British armor vehicles,

]
                      Don't plan on seeing many, if any, of those hummers sold to civvies. Most of them will go into reserves, be sold to other countries, or donated to other countries. There's an old contract that AMG has with the USG that precludes DRMO sales to GL. The only hummers that have come out are salvage units, or trucks that have come from contracts that let them be sold. There was a large lot of them, about 400 total, sold quite a few years ago. Single company bought the entire lot, and shipped them by train out of the depot, back to the east coast. Hehe...you should have heard the collectors moaning.

Comment

My BOV is a 1986 M1008 CUCV Pickup truck(1 & 1/4 ton, 4x4, and a 6.2L(all mechanical) Diesel engine) with a new US Army Woodland camo paint job, fiber glass troop seats and rails, and cargo bows. I wasn't able to get a cargo cover yet. :( It had 39,000 original miles and was rarely abused as it was a Commo Unit PR display for the East Coast(DC/VA area).
                        I have added a winter front cover, engine block heater, and the much needed 12 volt cigarette lighter/power point among other things. I plan to add a 2nd fuel tank on the passenger side to make use of the unused space under the bed. I am also going to mount aerials(military) for my comms systems. It only has cosmetic issues that can be fixed relatively easy; just need the spare $. I plan to get a matching M101A2 or M116A2 trailer to use for a Bug Out Trailer (BOT) Base. This will free up valuable bed space and let me take my heavier items: generator, compressor, extensive tool collection, etc.. by a "Hook n Go" aspect and load truck with any perishables & last minute items/supplies.
                        Our other BOV is a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the inline 6. It is being slowly modified as well. Both are very reliable and our DDs.
                        Last edited by BloodCarver; 04-07-2013, 05:26 PM. Reason: grammer error

Comment

My personal item for home defense is in the photo below. Found it on E-Bay a while back and after a lot of work with my DMV I now have a tractor license for it. PS It's the big green thing called an M-60A1
                          Attached Files

Comment

PS

1. The good thing is it is bullet proof.

2. The bad thing is gas millage: which is about 6 gallons per mile cross country

Comment

So Diesel,
                              After all these ideas and dreams and owners comments, have you decided what you want or what you will get?

I'd offer one bit of advice, that's been hinted at in some of the replies. Get a BOV that works well in the terrain you intent to bug out to. If you are planning on driving to an old mine high in the rockies, a deuce may not be the best choice because the roads may be too narrow. If your plan is to haul lots of tonnage into the open plains of South Dakota, a deuce may be the right choice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012_0714_HideoutLn_EWandJB01_blog.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	187306
                              I'm still going with an electric jeep. It's small, easy to hide, gets into tight and rough places, easy to work on, cheap to buy, can recharge off a gasoline generator or off a wood-burning generator or off solar panels. Can't carry as much as a deuce by any means, but I'm hoping to bug in not out. If I do have to bug out, I have places to go where some of my shelter and security needs are already met. The trailer carries a compact 12Kw generator and a 30 gallon fuel tank and an air compressor, with room for other stuff.

Well Diesel, whatcha gonna do???
                              Planning to be here through it all.............

Comment

Tell me you're serious? If so don't you think more details, costs & pics are required? lol

Originally posted by RICHFL View Post
                                My personal item for home defense is in the photo below. Found it on E-Bay a while back and after a lot of work with my DMV I now have a tractor license for it. PS It's the big green thing called an M-60A1
                                WHAT IF THE AMERICA YOU KNEW, WAS ABOUT TO CHANGE?

The best thing you can do to support the site is pass it on to your friends and fav sites like other forums, facebook, twitter etc. Let people know about us! :)

Comment

Working...
                                X