No announcement yet.

What are your weaknesses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a good friend once told me, "I know a lot of stuff about a lot of stuff because I need to do what I need to do and I've done all that I've done." I can live comfortably in the woods and mountains any time of the year, because that's where I live now. But what I'm not comfortable with is what I'm going to do with my family when TEOTWAWKI comes. My wife and grown son both have a cronic illness that severly limits thier ability to do daily tasks, without medications that help them. My wife also has another condition that will probably kill her within 2-3 months without some meds that have a very short shelf life. I have good friends nearby, and as neighbors, who are stand-up folk that I can rely on to help with many of the tasks that survival without services will require. But I feel a bit overwhelmed by the prospect of taking care of my family and watching them decline in health and ability. How do you train for that? I have absolutely no interest in trying to survive alone. Camping alone for a weekend, or a week is one thing. Life alone is not what I want. And while God may provide for me, he'll only provide as much as my two hands can move.

Otherwise I think I'm in a good position. To be successful I think we need to be able to shoot, move and communicate. I shoot well. I build well. I have many tools that allow me to build and repair things. I'm working on my plan for long-distance transportation without petroleum. My health is very good. I don't have enough vegetables stored, and with our weather and soil, it's not likely that I'll be able to grow them. I have CB's and FMRS radios for short distance commo, but I'd like to get a ham radio to reach out beyond my valley to see what's happening beyond the mountains. And with the help of good friends close by I think we'll be able to weather the storm in whatever form it comes in.
    Planning to be here through it all.............

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry D Young View Post
      My poor health is probably my biggest liability, with lack of money second. As far as training goes, I'm good on the book end, but a little light on some field experience. Equipment wise I'm short on CBNRE/HAZMAT gear and Comms.

Specific areas of weakensses are Wild plant edibles; medical training above the Advanced First Aid level, with no real experience. Not too good on social skills, as in dealing with groups. Plenty more, too many to list, even for me.
      What he said only he says it better than I can.
      WE DIDN'T BELIEVE THOSE WHO HAD SWORN TO KILL US 9-11-01

Comment

I would have to say that I am very much composed and am comfortable with my management skills but my weakness would have to be something that smells really bad. I just could not stand them. I do not have problems seeing gore stuff but once they stink, that gets me.

One quick solution would be using a mask but that proves to be a burden on survival mode, right?

Comment

Originally posted by cwebber View Post
          I would have to say that I am very much composed and am comfortable with my management skills but my weakness would have to be something that smells really bad. I just could not stand them. I do not have problems seeing gore stuff but once they stink, that gets me.

One quick solution would be using a mask but that proves to be a burden on survival mode, right?
          cotton balls or athletic tape to block your nose. Even foam ear plugs if your nose is not too big. You'll get some of the smell through your taste buds on your toungue, but not nearly as much as when your nose is open. I've found that paper or cloth masks don't do much for organic stench. FWIW.
          Planning to be here through it all.............

Comment

Endurance (some minor health things), I question my abilities to discerne edible plants and such, a wife that doesn't like guns and my biggest concern (not for me though) would be the ability to acquire/manufacture insulin for a diabetic in the family and, of course, money.

Comment

I guess I have a weak time management. I always cram on deadlines.

Comment

I guess my main weakness is patience. Thanks to the army I was very well trained in the tactical side, survival training in most environments. Know over 300 edible/ medicinal plants. Pretty good with comms and electronics. Fairly well set ( but still adding weekly) on supplies. But I have little patience with people who are either to stupid or lazy to take responsibility for themselves and expect me to do it for them. you know "If something happens I'll just come to your house" Types. Or those who "If something bad ever happens it will be okay the government will take care of us".

Comment

Originally posted by 101airborne View Post
                  I guess my main weakness is patience. Thanks to the army I was very well trained in the tactical side, survival training in most environments. Know over 300 edible/ medicinal plants. Pretty good with comms and electronics. Fairly well set ( but still adding weekly) on supplies. But I have little patience with people who are either to stupid or lazy to take responsibility for themselves and expect me to do it for them. you know "If something happens I'll just come to your house" Types. Or those who "If something bad ever happens it will be okay the government will take care of us".
                  You must be talking about my SHEEPLE inlaws!! the whole bunch. Geneticly speaking I'm suprised they weren't all dinasor food.
                  You don't have to be perfect, but you better be smart!!!

Comment

Like many here, I can do what I need to do to get by, but my greatest concern at the present time is first aid along with connecting with a group I can trust. After reading Rawles books, (Patriots & Survivors) even though they are fiction, it makes one realize how much you could really need to survive.

Comment

Originally posted by Bue View Post
                      You must be talking about my SHEEPLE inlaws!! the whole bunch. Geneticly speaking I'm suprised they weren't all dinasor food.
                      WHAT???? Which of my wife's family are you related to????? They are pretty well all that way. Some dumber than others. One won't let her boys play with TOY guns. She has them brainwashed that guns are BAD! guns are EVIL! All I can do at get togethers is bite my tounge and avoid talking to most of them.

Comment

My biggest weakness is that I despise being cold. I will over pack with everything in the thermal world just to stay worm. Second is being wet, :(

Comment

My weakness? I'm too nice. In a bad situation, I will have to put myself first. That will be a challenge for me.
                          Jamie"People only see what they are prepared to see." ...Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Plant ID that was ex-wife's job, I trap, hunt, fish and make tipis. New GF is about worthless in a survival situation more like an anchor than help. She hates everything I do won't even camp in the 22ft tipi or the new 18ft tipi.

Comment

My weakness in a survival situation would be my wife and daughter. My wife thinks "camping" is Motel 6 or any place that doesn't have room service. My daughter is 3 and is hard to watch sometimes. Me personally I get big plans then don't follow through I loose interest to fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Hand View Post
                                Plant ID that was ex-wife's job, I trap, hunt, fish and make tipis. New GF is about worthless in a survival situation more like an anchor than help. She hates everything I do won't even camp in the 22ft tipi or the new 18ft tipi.
                                Brother, can I relate! My LGF (Liberal Girl Friend) and I have gardening, camping, and music in common. That's it! And she thinks survivalists are paranoid. I just smile and keep on keeping on. I guess she spent too many years in Houston, LA, and NYC with the artsy, fartsy crowd. We will see what Obama, Oprah, and Molly Ivins do for her when the stores are empty and the electricity is off.

Oh yeah, weaknesses: Primitive fire making and choosing girl friends. :) I've been working on the fire making but still need practice.
                                "The enemy is the necessary condition for practicing patience."

Comment

Working...
                                X