No announcement yet.

Tricks of the Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, here is another on for you. A great way to conceal your sent in the woods for when you are tracking or are being tracked is to rub charcoal on your feet and body. The odor is strong it naturally occurs in nature and you can easily make it. It is also a natural bug repellant.

Comment

[still haven't found the right backpack to carry the 60-70 lbs of goods. I think my final "BOB" will be more like 80 lbs.]

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/b...aspx?c=2&dc=74

I'm carrying 75 lbs in a large military Alice pack and frame. It isn't pretty and its not compartmentalized but it is functional and will accept accessory pouches attached with alice clips. As much as I dislike the arraingement I've had to attach additional pouches which to accomodate my necessities.....
      There are a few more items I intend to attach which the pack will easily accomodate. These have been around for quite some time and have proven themselves quite durable. I've seen more modern mil issue in flea markets and surplus store that had sustained damage ...... I recommend you strap on and hump your bob regularly / daily if at all possible. 75 lbs doesn't sound like much but I've found it to be quite a workout just walking 4 miles of pavement. I ventured into the woods one day last week walking over and around trees and other obstacles, up and down moderate inclines ..... times will indeed be difficult should I find myself enjoying a nomadic lifestyle.

O.W.
      Things are seldom what they seem.

Comment

O.W/ Eighty pounds is alot of weight to lug around. Have you thought about maybe strapping some of your gear onto a mountain bike. The bike will allow you to travel quicker and expand your load out options.

Comment

the use of a wheel barrel could be quite usefull as well
          the pack that plays together stays together

Comment

[O.W/ Eighty pounds is alot of weight to lug around. Have you thought about maybe strapping some of your gear onto a mountain bike.]

I appreciate the tip Centurion. I'm accustomed to the ruck now. While out on my walks I have considered alternatives and have imagined constructing a ricshaw like contraption that I could pull or perhaps attach to a couple of harnessed pups. The terrain I expect to traverse for egress plan "A" is fairly rough for either a bike or the ricshaw though. I am slowly developing dexterity as I venture farther into the woods so the pratice is conditioning me much quicker than I at first anticipated. I'll see you on the other side.
            O.W.
            Things are seldom what they seem.

Comment

start gathering keys for different kinds of heavy equipment could come in very handy
              the pack that plays together stays together

Comment

OW/ I think thats great that you are getting in shape and breaking in your gear. Keep up the good work and when the rickshaw is built swing by and give me a ride...

Comment

If you ever get battery acid on your face or in your eyes (hopefully someone is there to help), wash face and eyes with milk. Milk is a base and will neutralize the acid. Saved me and another guy once.

Comment

Originally posted by Lil Bear View Post
                    If you ever get battery acid on your face or in your eyes (hopefully someone is there to help), wash face and eyes with milk. Milk is a base and will neutralize the acid. Saved me and another guy once.
                    Rubber stamp this tip in first aid, please.....it's a good one :D
                    "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

Comment

WalMart, although i got mine at Dollar Tree, has these littel rubbermaid containers with locktite lids that have rubber gaskets on them. THey have three sizes, 4x6x1 1/2, 6x8x2, 8x12x2 and range in p[rice from like 3 dollars to 5.98 i think. I lucked out and got 4 sets of three for $1 per set!!!! I use the extras around the house and in the kitchen.

These little containers are really nice to store things that you want to keep dry and dont want to pay tons of money to get them. They can also be used for storage purposes when you get to where you are going.

ANother idea is to use your vacuum sealer and seal up a few silver coins. They wont tarnish or get damaged, in case things do not go to hell.

And for keeping water prurified well here is a trick they used in the old west.
                      Put a silver dollar in the water barrel, or pure silver jewelry. The silver reacts with the water killing many parasites just as the silver based water purification tablets do.

Comment

Fill the inside of a prescription medicine bottle lid with just enough molten wax so the bottle cuts into it when screwed down tight and let dry. This creates a waterproof gasket and a ready source of wax.
                        SQUARE PEG IN A ROUND HOLE

Comment

Eating a small amount of ash from your burned out campfire can help to settle an upset stomach. Try mixing it into a little water. This is especially helpful if your stomach is hurting after eating a large meal for the first time in several days. But be careful, too much can make you sick as well.

Charcoal can be eaten if you suspect you ate poisonous plants or berries and are now vomitting and have diarrhea. The charcoal absorbs some of the toxins. This is why ER Docs give activated charcoal to patients suspected of drug overdose. Granted, activated charcoal is different and more effective, but regular campfire charcoal can help.

Note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR!! Just something to consider.

Comment

Put a contractor grade trash bag in your BOB as a liner, then put your gear inside the trash bag. Keeps your gear dry.

I got the following off some website associated with Tom Brown JR, Take 2 tshirts and put 1 inside the other. Sew the bottoms together and sew the ends of the sleeves closed. You will have 1 shirt inside the other with the sleeves and bottoms of the 2 shirts sewed together. Leave the neck of the 2 shirts unattached. If you find yourself out in the cold you can stuff grass or whatever type of insulating material you can find between the 2 shirts creating an insulated vest. I also thought you could line the inside with layers of newspaper or what have you creating a makeshift body armor.
                            Last edited by nakadnu; 05-05-2010, 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Throw some sagebrush leaves on the coals of your fire and stand in the smoke to conceal your scent. You can also put some sagebrush leaves in a garbage bag with your clothes so they become saturated with the odor.I used to do this when bowhunting in my younger days, I had deer walking all around me so I would have to assume this works.
                              Originally posted by Centurion View Post
                              Ok, here is another on for you. A great way to conceal your sent in the woods for when you are tracking or are being tracked is to rub charcoal on your feet and body. The odor is strong it naturally occurs in nature and you can easily make it. It is also a natural bug repellant.

Comment

1. Fill your canteen (etc) 1/4 of water and freeze. When ready to travel fill with water. This along with wetting your canteen cover (as stated previously) will cool your drink.
                                2. Wetting your Boonie cap also cools your head
                                3. Glue or sew a 4x4 square of luminescent (or "Cat's Eyes") material in the inside of your cap. it is a great place to keep notes (in permanent marker) and can be activated with brief exposure to light.
                                4. Attach small Cat's Eyes to the back of your cap, it helps your partners follow you during night movement and is faint enough to capture attention.
                                5. Braid parachute cord into a belt of gun strap. If needed just unbraid and you have ample rope.
                                6. Out West, if you carefully pull up on the needle point on the leaf of a Yucca Plant, you will be rewarded with a sharp neddle with several strands of attached sturdy thread. Depending on the time of year, this plant can be used for food, and as a coffee replacement.
                                Last edited by NorthStar1; 05-10-2010, 11:03 PM. Reason: correction
                                "By Failing to Prepare, You are Preparing to Fail" -Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X