Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtnlioness
    replied
    Thanks for the post. I never thought of doing it this way. Another technique in the plethora of goodies already between the ears.

Leave a comment:

• GrizzlyetteAdams
    replied
    Originally posted by Sourdough View Post

That is how we call Moose. It can be dangerous around the peak of the "Rut".
    Thanks for pointing this out.

Hmmmm... in a SHTF situation, it might come in handy to bring dinner to your cook fire, lol.

Note to self: have at least one other person armed and ready to "make meat" when harvesting firewood this way.

Leave a comment:

• GrizzlyetteAdams
    replied
    Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
    Very cool, never saw that. I was checking out that guys channel and he has another interesting vid on gathering branches. Can't say I ever saw his water bottle method but looks very effective.

Now, THAT is the coolest thing I've seen a good while. I somehow overlooked that when I moseyed around his channel. Thanks for bringing it to light.

Leave a comment:

• Sourdough
    replied
    Originally posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
    In many survival or SHTF situations, it may not always be practical to cut firewood with a chainsaw. You may be out of fuel, on the move, or maybe you don't have a chainsaw (or any kind of saw).

Many of us have done the "whacking" thing for breaking branches into useful firewood...and for those who have not, here is the method to the madness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shMz...ature=youtu.be

That is how we call Moose. It can be dangerous around the peak of the "Rut".
    Last edited by Sourdough; 07-27-2019, 09:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CountryGuy
    replied
    Very cool, never saw that. I was checking out that guys channel and he has another interesting vid on gathering branches. Can't say I ever saw his water bottle method but looks very effective.

Leave a comment:

• TheInkeeper
    replied
    Originally posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
    Some SHTF situations may call for a quieter way to harvest firewood: a bow saw and a sawbuck will do the job.

https://www.self-reliance.com/2016/1...ting-firewood/
    Always have a bowsaw (aka Swede saw) in my truck

Leave a comment:

• GrizzlyetteAdams
    replied
    Some SHTF situations may call for a quieter way to harvest firewood: a bow saw and a sawbuck will do the job.

https://www.self-reliance.com/2016/1...ting-firewood/

Leave a comment:

• TheInkeeper
    replied
    New one for me.will have to check it out

Leave a comment:

• dalewick
    replied
    Done this a lot over the years. When possible use softwoods (conifers) preferably and wood that's been down long enough to be very dry on the inside. Some tree species, like oak, hickory, ash, etc are way harder to break this way and if it's green at all, it won't. Sometimes it's just easier to start your fire and then just feed your wood in to it or burn from the middle for longer pieces that won't break. Thanks for sharing Grizz.

Dale

Leave a comment:

• Morgan101
    replied
    Grizz: I find this truly amazing, and I am definitely going to try it. It has to be in the technique. Kind of like tearing a phone book in half. Takes 90% of the time out of cutting fire wood. Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• No chainsaw? No problem, if you know this trick

In many survival or SHTF situations, it may not always be practical to cut firewood with a chainsaw. You may be out of fuel, on the move, or maybe you don't have a chainsaw (or any kind of saw).

Many of us have done the "whacking" thing for breaking branches into useful firewood...and for those who have not, here is the method to the madness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shMz...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 07-25-2019, 12:05 PM.
Working...
X