Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easiest steel wool/battery method for starting a fire I have seen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    denvernative321
    Valued Member

• denvernative321
    replied
    this is a good method to know but just not practical for everyday use. why waste a good battery and a full piece of steel wool when a bic lighter will light up to 3,000 times. this only comes in handy when there is nothing else available. but still a good thing to know. you can also use a battery and two wires to create a small spark, the bigger the battery the larger the spark.

Leave a comment:

• paintball
    Valued Member

• paintball
    replied
    The inmates in jails use similar ways using batterys. They use razor blades and wires.. you stand 2 batterys on a metal surface and lay a singe razor blade on top of the batterys and it gests hot enough to burn paper.

Leave a comment:

• Skyowl's Wife

• Skyowl's Wife
    replied
    I want to try that!

Leave a comment:

• Pioneer

• Pioneer
    replied
    It works! And as it was mentioned, using smaller pieces is the way to go about it. I'm willing to bet, he used a full piece of steel wool for viewing purposes of simplicity to get the point across.

Regardless, Great Video!

Leave a comment:

• prkchp76
    Veteran Member

• prkchp76
    replied
    hey everybody remember this

Leave a comment:

• Lil Bear
    Veteran Member

• Lil Bear
    replied
    Excellent! I had heard about this but had never seen it in action. My wife thought it was pretty neat as well.

Leave a comment:

• Vicious Ignernt

• Vicious Ignernt
    replied
    Yeah, Big "D", I was thinkin' the same thing. I was wondering...How about tearing off a small piece and placing it in a little "nest" of tinder, then hittin' it with the battery. The petroleum jelly is a good idea too, that would keep the steel wool from rusting during long-term storage.

Originally posted by Diesel View Post
    thought we had that on the site already and that same video.. weird i can't find it though.

Yes steel wool and battery is a great technique for tsarting fire especially in wet conditions, just make sure u don;t do it like he is doing it... use small peces of steel wool, once it's used up, it's used up.

Leave a comment:

• Diesel
    Administrator

• Diesel
    replied
    thought we had that on the site already and that same video.. weird i can't find it though.

Yes steel wool and battery is a great technique for tsarting fire especially in wet conditions, just make sure u don;t do it like he is doing it... use small peces of steel wool, once it's used up, it's used up.

Leave a comment:

• Brosia
    Veteran Member

• Brosia
    replied
    looks super easy. Looks like fun...

Leave a comment:

• lazer128
    Veteran Member

• lazer128
    replied
    I wish I had known that in Boyscouts! I remember those fire building sessions for badges.:D

Leave a comment:

• TLman
    replied
    Very cool, definitely gonna give that a try.

Leave a comment:

• prkchp76
    Veteran Member

• prkchp76
    replied
    wwwwwoooooaaaaa way to cool thanks man

Leave a comment:

• TheUnboundOne

• TheUnboundOne
    replied
    Zombie Axe,

Yep, and it works especially well with steel wool coated with Vaseline.

Leave a comment:

• Zombie Axe

• Easiest steel wool/battery method for starting a fire I have seen!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iha9vQvnWMU[/ame]

Really easy method of starting a fire with steel wool and a 9V battery. Gonna hafta try this method :cool:
Working...
X