Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your doors???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Your doors???

    Hey all, I am fairly new to this site but love many of the discussions. Here is a good one. I run a millwork shop and my employees make the door units for a decent size regional building materials supplier. The building codes say that in order to pass inspection a fire rated door must separate an attached garage (my father-in-law is also a building inspector in NC). Most builders use a steel door, they are fire rated and cheap. We also sell(rarely) a fiberglass fire rated door. Most fiberglass doors just have foam as the core. The fire rated FG doors have a sort of concrete core. They are quite heavy and very tough. They also cost 4X's as much, but once it is installed you can not tell the difference. The only reason I do not have one as my front door is that you can not install glass into it and my wife wanted something that looks fancy.

    I just figured I would share the info. With the right hinges and locks, it would be difficult to breach one of these doors.
    He who lives with the most toys, wins.

  • #2
    Good point. Two of my exterior doors are fiberglass and one is hollow metal. The other is full glass but must be accessed thru the area fenced in with four dogs.
    JUST CURIOUS? PRUNES ARE DEHYDRATED PLUMS. SO WHERE DOES PRUNE JUICE COME FROM?

    Comment


    • #3
      This is an impulsive thought based on something that quickly occurred to me, but...

      What about a ballistic door, either a ceramic-based armor or good old Kevlar?

      I think that in general either thing could be cost-prohibitive; however what if one just filled a hollow metal door with the Kevlar taken from used vests? I know that aged Kevlar has somewhat less protection than factory-fresh stuff, but I do know that it does still have some protective capability, especially stacked up in several vests' worth of layers.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by methusaleh View Post
        This is an impulsive thought based on something that quickly occurred to me, but...

        What about a ballistic door, either a ceramic-based armor or good old Kevlar?

        I think that in general either thing could be cost-prohibitive; however what if one just filled a hollow metal door with the Kevlar taken from used vests? I know that aged Kevlar has somewhat less protection than factory-fresh stuff, but I do know that it does still have some protective capability, especially stacked up in several vests' worth of layers.
        I'd think if you wanted to fill a hollow door...just pour in some quickcrete....seems to me like it'd be a pretty bullet-resistant door and would only take a bag ($4) of 'crete....
        "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

        "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
          I'd think if you wanted to fill a hollow door...just pour in some quickcrete....seems to me like it'd be a pretty bullet-resistant door and would only take a bag ($4) of 'crete....
          That might get a bit heavy! A quick calculation in my head "says" it will take several bags for a 1.75" x 36" x 80" door. Not sure your average hinges will work. There are bullet resistant doors on the market. I specify them from time to time.
          Last edited by lazer128; 02-01-2009, 08:39 PM.
          JUST CURIOUS? PRUNES ARE DEHYDRATED PLUMS. SO WHERE DOES PRUNE JUICE COME FROM?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by lazer128 View Post
            That might get a bit heavy! A quick calculation in my head "says" it will take several bags for a 1.75" x 36" x 80" door. Not sure your average hinges will work. There are bullet resistant doors on the market. I specicify them from time to time.
            Now that you say something, you're probably right....but heavy duty hinges aren't too expensive.....
            "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

            "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

            Comment


            • #7
              Yeah, with a heavy door I would worry more about stress on the hinges and their hardware more than anything else.

              I've seen what a good tungsten-core bullet will do to concrete, and it's just about comparable with what it would do to melted butter!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by methusaleh View Post
                Yeah, with a heavy door I would worry more about stress on the hinges and their hardware more than anything else.

                I've seen what a good tungsten-core bullet will do to concrete, and it's just about comparable with what it would do to melted butter!
                Yeah but how many folks will really come across an assailant or mob with that kind of armament?
                "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

                "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
                  Yeah but how many folks will really come across an assailant or mob with that kind of armament?
                  So far, mine just have to keep the black bears out of the house! :eek:
                  JUST CURIOUS? PRUNES ARE DEHYDRATED PLUMS. SO WHERE DOES PRUNE JUICE COME FROM?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm a big fan of the old-fashioned, straight-forward solid oak door....doesn't get much sturdier for the cost.....and if you replace your 3/4" hainge screws w/5" wood screws, you get a very solid hinge-side installation.....sink a steel-jacketed insert on your deadbolt side and the door is nigh unbreechable by most standard means....
                    "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

                    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      We just typically replace the standard hinges with stainless ball bearing hinges for heavy duty applications. Sometimes use 4 instead of 3 too. For the glass we also use hurricane glass, but now you are talking big money. This is the stuff they shoot 2X4's at.
                      He who lives with the most toys, wins.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        French Doors-How to Improve?

                        My house originally had 2 of the old style sliding glass doors. And I mean very old style, they were over 20 years old. Had the very small, 1/2 inch itty bitty locks made out of real cheap metal that could easily be busted by a big guy with a sharp screwdriver. But the easiest way in was just throw a rock through the glass. Also, with the all aluminum frame, there would be ice on the inside during single digit weather.

                        To upgrade the doors, (and before I got really into security and such), I had installed two sets of french doors. Steel clad, foam core, good weatherstripping around doors, wood frame. It improved the efficiency a great deal. I figure it reduced the glass and surface aluminum exposure by 80%. The house is much more "snug" and not as drafty.

                        The doors are somewhat more secure, I installed some good Schlage locksets and deadbolts. The side that doesn't have the lockset is locked down at the top and bottom with slide bolts. I also had at least a dozen 4 inch screws used on each frame to secure it to the house.

                        But there remains a vulnerability: a rock through the window and you're in. I've been thinking about this and there are several factors. Of course, cost, I'm not rich. Second, ease of install. Next, must look good, or appropriate, in case of need to sell the house. Next, must be able to see out okay, because, well, it is a french door. Last, must improve security, in other words, rocks through window are not a problem.

                        So, here's what I'm thinking about doing...I found a company in Charlotte that makes custom perforated metal panels and custom heavy duty screens(sort of like bug screens on steriods). I'm thinking of getting the perforated sheet metal, which is flat, with a square pattern cutout, weld on a thin bar stock edge and a couple of cross pieces. And place the perforated metal screen on the inside, next to the glass, but under the plastic window frames. I'd secure the perf metal to the metal of the door with about a dozen rivets.

                        What do you think? Any suggestions? Any other options you can think of?
                        If it looks ignernt, but it works, then it ain't ignernt.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The impact resistant glass (hurricane) would be an option, but it is costly. Shutters are another option, but it doesn't always look great. The most costly option is to get the biggest meanest dog you can find, and keep him right behind the doors.

                          Very inexpensive option is a sort of joke I posted not too long ago. Go to Good Will and get an old worn out size 16 pair of work boots. Two huge dog bowls, and a few copies of Guns and Ammo and stratigically place them within sight of the glass. Should keep almost anyone out. If not, thats one less meal that you have to feed Fluffy.
                          He who lives with the most toys, wins.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            all great ideas guys but wouldnt it be just as simple to go in threw the side of the house most houses now do not have plywood or osb all the way around the bottom just a thought
                            the pack that plays together stays together

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Vicious Ignernt View Post
                              My house originally had 2 of the old style sliding glass doors. And I mean very old style, they were over 20 years old. Had the very small, 1/2 inch itty bitty locks made out of real cheap metal that could easily be busted by a big guy with a sharp screwdriver. But the easiest way in was just throw a rock through the glass. Also, with the all aluminum frame, there would be ice on the inside during single digit weather.

                              To upgrade the doors, (and before I got really into security and such), I had installed two sets of french doors. Steel clad, foam core, good weatherstripping around doors, wood frame. It improved the efficiency a great deal. I figure it reduced the glass and surface aluminum exposure by 80%. The house is much more "snug" and not as drafty.

                              The doors are somewhat more secure, I installed some good Schlage locksets and deadbolts. The side that doesn't have the lockset is locked down at the top and bottom with slide bolts. I also had at least a dozen 4 inch screws used on each frame to secure it to the house.

                              But there remains a vulnerability: a rock through the window and you're in. I've been thinking about this and there are several factors. Of course, cost, I'm not rich. Second, ease of install. Next, must look good, or appropriate, in case of need to sell the house. Next, must be able to see out okay, because, well, it is a french door. Last, must improve security, in other words, rocks through window are not a problem.

                              So, here's what I'm thinking about doing...I found a company in Charlotte that makes custom perforated metal panels and custom heavy duty screens(sort of like bug screens on steriods). I'm thinking of getting the perforated sheet metal, which is flat, with a square pattern cutout, weld on a thin bar stock edge and a couple of cross pieces. And place the perforated metal screen on the inside, next to the glass, but under the plastic window frames. I'd secure the perf metal to the metal of the door with about a dozen rivets.

                              What do you think? Any suggestions? Any other options you can think of?
                              I think that this a great idea especially with the ever increasing numbers "home invasion" type robberies!!
                              John 3:16 Joshua 24:15

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X