Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visinedrops
    replied
    Too bad our great and benevolent government decided the homestead act wasn't feasable anymore, now you get to pay for simply owning the land, and any improvements made to it add to the amount you get to pay.

I think the best BOL is one you can't redily get to to actually scope out. Drive up in the mountains to hike a couple hours to me still isn't far enough away. I want to be air lifted to my site, then shoot down the chopper.

Leave a comment:

• kenno
    replied
    Keep in mind that springs/wells can provide good drinking water and possibably irrigation water as well.
    Last edited by kenno; 10-27-2008, 06:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• forever_frost
    replied
    If bad comes to worse, I have Cooper lake within walking distance. I can get all teh water I need from there, but I do have a stream running through my place. I just wish it was year round.

Leave a comment:

• das
    replied
    Keep in mind proximity to cities and major highways. The theory that people will migrate following a disaster (Golden Horde) would be a major defense consideration. If you can see water or food or civilization or lights then expect visitors.

I've never been able to afford land with a river or year round stream. In Texas these places just don't go on the market and if they do they are snapped up by investors at insane prices. A good well (hand pumped shallow draw) with clean water should be the goal of most people in a survival situation as it can be obscured as an out building to maintain a low profile.

In a starvation situation human life becomes pretty cheap. Imagine trying to defend a water source in LA or Vegas? You would have to climb over the bodies just to escape.

Leave a comment:

• Visionary
    replied
    Sounds well thought out to me.

Leave a comment:

• Diesel
    started a topic LAND is key

LAND is key

So the question is how much do you REALLY need, and where should it be?

I've been looking for land for quite some time going back and forth between something like 20 acres up to 200 acres.

Criteria for me is a mix of field and woodlands, and MUST have year round running water on it i.e river/stream

The question is how much is too much.. how much is not enough to sustain a familly... and where in this country would be safe?

Seems every where you look there's a potential target..
Working...
X