LAND is key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by free2bme View Post
    I was wondering if maybe buying a rather large place like maybe 400 acres and setting up very small hunting cabin type places and having others buy in for their families might be the answer. In the end we would have more people to help defend the place as well as work the fields. In the mean time it would be a great place for everyone to go for a week or two here and there to kick back fish hunt and relax! What do you guys think of the idea? Are we better of by ourselves or with others? Figured it would help max our skill sets as well.
    :) Can I join you,sounds good to me.
    I was wondering where to buy said land also,like Dear Diesel says ,where are the safe places?
    Well if Yellow stone does not blow her cork, then I was thinking yellow stone on up to Glacier National Park, way up in the little towns and out from those.I would Love to find like minded people to live around,sound real good to me.

Comment

Went back to my retreat this week end looking for edibles as most everything has leafed out. In addition to plants I posted earlier, I found nutsedge, pawpaws, ground nuts (spring surprise), plantain, blackberries, arrowhead and burdock. Also found some wild grape, six pecan trees, dead red nettle, milkweed, garlic, green briars and chickweed. There are several other plants I know are edible but I can't find the name of them in a book yet. In the creek, I found a huge snapping turtle, minnows, mussels and crawdads.

I planted about 60 daylilies and sunflowers.

I'm trying to get a "wild edible plant farm" going. I want something that I don't have to tend and will attract wildlife as well as provide food nearly year round.

I've been sampling the food as I find it. Some of it deffinitely requires an acquired taste. Pack lots of salt and pepper! Finding this wild food is really interesting and gives a perspective of what our ancestors did to survive.

Comment

Bavarian... I've been thinking a lot about this. Any pointers on getting started, just on the identification/preparation side? I'd like to plan a camping trip with a foraging theme, and generally get better at this. Thanks!

Comment

hubste5:

I'm not an expert at this and when I started I got a couple of books on edible plants and medicinal plants. I usually carry one or more with me to use the photos for ID purposes.

www.eattheweeds.com
          www.wildpantry.com
          www.wildmanstevebrill.com

These are good sites but none lists everything. Google edible weeds, trees, flowers, grass, seeds and plants. All have sources on the internet.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Parks are a real good place to start. Especially when they let the grass grow for awhile. Of course, State Parks and Federal lands are always good and sometimes you can find a ranger/warden that will tell you where certain plants can be found.

Comment

Originally posted by Bavarian View Post
              Parks are a real good place to start. Especially when they let the grass grow for awhile. Of course, State Parks and Federal lands are always good and sometimes you can find a ranger/warden that will tell you where certain plants can be found.
              Thanks for the references!

Comment

Where is a safe place? Well it depends on ones ideas as to what may happen and the likelyhood of it occurring. As I've presented in recent posts I believe a EMP strike is likely. I recommend reading a book titled " One Second After" Secondly, another book called "Apocalypse 2012" in this book your questions about where to go should/could be answered. The Military has conducted a strategic study conducted out to the year 2036. Read this link if your not sure of any of the scenarios that members such as myself believe are likely to happen...... http://www.jfcom.mil/newslink/storya...08/JOE2008.pdf This study will show you what the resources and scenarios by the world players could be. I'll say here for this forum, no one has the answers, just possibilities. :eek:
                Waitnc

Comment

I am not affiliated with this publication but it sounds like you would enjoy backwoods home magazine. They have a great magazine, and I personally have learned alot from jackie clay, she has alot of good info.

Comment

What about edible landscaping for your primary location? Any suggestions? We currently have a large garden, and am planting two varieties of blueberries.

Comment

semper fi brother!!! 1995-2000

Comment

our BOL is over in Bryson city.

Comment

Originally posted by mountainman28713 View Post
                          What about edible landscaping for your primary location? Any suggestions? We currently have a large garden, and am planting two varieties of blueberries.
                          I dont know about your climate, but check out Jerusalem Artichoke.
                          CTHULHU/Dagon 2012

Comment

Originally posted by mountainman28713 View Post
                            This is sort-of what I've been doing. I'm not so much landscaping as just trying to get edible wilds growing. My place is rough country and hunters pass though it. This doesn't bother me much becausethey are city dwellers who only come out during hunting season. By then, most of the foliage is gone and the average person couldn't find most plants.

I've been collecting seeds, tubers and roots of various plants, planting them on my property and discreetly marking what each area contains. There are a good many tubers that are best dug and eaten in the winter. You just have to know where they are. My goal is to have year-round wild plant food.

If you have a "good" seed store around, someone may tell you the many plants/seeds that we normally buy at the grocery that will grow wild. Some are perennials and some are self-seeding. Most people will ignore them in the wild because they aren't expecting to find them and/or don't know plants well enough to know what the plants are.

Comment

I have about 60 acres in North Central NC. About 20 - 30 minutes from small towns and 45 min to an hour from large cities. Two springs, a good well, several good building sites, good like minded neighbors.

I would be interested in talking to a couple families who want to live in a remote area and help build up the community.

Comment

Originally posted by weaver View Post
                                I have about 60 acres in North Central NC. About 20 - 30 minutes from small towns and 45 min to an hour from large cities. Two springs, a good well, several good building sites, good like minded neighbors.

I would be interested in talking to a couple families who want to live in a remote area and help build up the community.
                                Hi Guys,

Been a member for a while now, but haven't posted anything for a wee while now.

I live in Scotland, and we've had our share of madness over the last few months, so I've been a bit busy!! The weather has been crazy the last few months and I've had to deal with two floods and a leaky roof, all of which is detracting from my prepping time.

This thread is great!! The idea of owning land and building it up over a period of time for when things eventually go the shape of the pear has to be the ultimate in preparedness. Not something that's so easily available over here. Sure, there's plenty of land (going by the acreage/head of population) but the costs are astronomical and the regulations on building is bureaucratic to say the least.

I'm trying to get a thing together with a few of my friends to buy a share of a forest with planning permission already granted. Most of the plots are off the beaten path, to be sure, but one thing sticks in my mind.

Where exactly would you guys (being a LOT more experienced in this kind of thing) draw the line in telling people? I come from an extremely disfunctional family, but have a problem with thinking of them starving or dying of thirst while I sat, well-fed and watered, in my retreat. I know the survival mentality dictates that those who fail to prepare, prepare to fail, but is this mindset something you guys would be able to do when it comes down to it?

I know I'm sounding like a big jessie (NOT a compliment over here!!), but it still bothers me.
                                Last edited by FastFranny; 07-30-2009, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X